Ethernet Hub query

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Hi all,

I have the BT Home Hub (white one, so think the older one). It has 2 Ethernet ports on. I have my main pc and my dad's pc connected to the router.

I also have a laptop which is connected Wirelessly, however when I use Skype the connection is 2bars so the quality is poor.

My plan is to connect the Laptop to the hub using Wired method (wireless is not the best in our house due to alot of electrical interference), however I am a little unsure on the best way to do this.

Would it be possible to have a cable running from the BT Hub, into a device which has multiple Ethernet ports (would only need 2 ports on the device). Then I would connect a lead from both laptop and pc into the device?

I found this, but I don't know if it's suitable?
OcUK Value 8 Port 10/100Mbps Ethernet Switch [GS-118P] Switches

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Hmm, I've not seen one of those splitters before but it may well do the job. Otherwise that ethernet switch is designed for exactly what you have in mind.

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
I have the same BT router as you, and had the same problem.

I bought this one, and it works fine. Utterley simple to set up, just plugged the switch into one port on the router and other network cables into the switch. It just worked.

RB

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Given the other two hubs linked in this thread were 5-7 quid, I'd recommend going with them. You'll notice no difference on the cheapo ones :).

Bahumat

FH is my second home
If I was a hot girl, I'd post boob and bum pics for all the help you guys give. But I'm a hairy guy so will decide against uploading anything

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
Given the other two hubs linked in this thread were 5-7 quid, I'd recommend going with them. You'll notice no difference on the cheapo ones :).
D'oh! I just re-read the OP and noticed the OcUK link.
Yeah, go with that one. ;)

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
If I was a hot girl, I'd post boob and bum pics for all the help you guys give. But I'm a hairy guy so will decide against uploading anything
Traditionally this means you should substitute yourself for your sister.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Deal (NB: All support will be provided via this forum and in the form of a response of "Ask Kryten").

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom