eSATA enclosures

Ormorof

FH is my second home
I have 3-4 1TB spinning disk hard disks lying around that I would like to make some use of (for backing up images and such), anyone used external eSATA enclosures for this kind of thing? dont really care if it only uses USB 2.0 will likely be sitting on my desk anyway

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Depends what you want to do with it. No redundancy or drive pooling or anything? You might as well just get one of those external docks so you can drop each drive in as and when you need it.

71ejT5MQeqL._SL1500_.jpg

USB 3.0, hotswappable and a much smaller footprint than a small NAS or proper external enclosure.

Alternatively, something like the Silverstone TS431U. Four bays, USB 3.0 and eSATA.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I don't know if the price on that page is what you'd pay for it but you're spending a lot for not a very recent or feature-rich product. You can get the one in the picture above or an Icy Dock (which review well), both with eSATA and USB 3.0, for less or about the same money. You say USB 2.0 isn't a problem but wait until you fill the disks up for the first time, you will appreciate the extra speed associated with the more modern interfaces.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
that was just their own page, costs about €45 locally

Users who are viewing this thread