Enermax Power Supply went BANG

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
My old PC, currently being used by my other half, just went BANG.

Apparently she just pushed the power button to turn it on and the noise was audible from the next room, not very loud but obvious. She saw a flash from the back of the machine, basically from the power supply. There is a very slight smell of burning electrics, but not anywhere near as much as I would have expected.

The PC is now quite dead.

Clearly I need a new power supply, and I don't have any spares around to drop in, but what chance is there that it will just be the supply and not the mobo etc that got borked? It has been said recently that cheaper units are more likely to take other bits with them. The enermax wasn't a budget option when I bought it about 3-4 years ago.

RB

Clown

Part of the furniture
This happened to me. I bought another Enermax PSU though. I saw on the OcUK website about their RMA procedure. They will change your broken one for their new one in 1-3 days. It might be worth emailing them to see how they can help you.

None of my components were damaged after the PSU went bang, the CPU and RAM was fine. The kettle lead seemed to stop working afterwards, and I haven't tried the motherboard or the PSU with another lead.

Sockstuff

Can't get enough of FH
Its about 50/50 from what i've seen, and I've seen a lot of em.

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
Thanks for the answers.

I am in 2 minds now. The PC is pretty old, and very ugly and big. If the mobo etc are OK then I guess a new PSU is teh way to go. If not then Sharon'd probably much prefer to go for a new base unit and I could just have those bits that are still fine (HDDs, optical drives hopefully etc). Thing is that I've got to buy a new PSU to test it, or take mine out which is too much hassle.

Ah well, decisions.

At least it's her money.

RB

Clown

Part of the furniture
Buy a nice PSU. If it works, stop there. If it doesn't, carry on with the upgrade. This isn't what I did though, I just went all out attack and replaced everything. But then I have far too much spare money to spend on myself.

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
As Clown said, get a good PSU and if it's all good then stick with that.

Gray

FH is my second home
My first Enermax (485w Noisetaker) popped after about a month of usage. I got it RMA'd, i didnt use the second one for a few months, but decided to install it about a month ago.

Soon as i turned it on = Pop.

Enermax were unsure why it did, they sent out a third, and thankfully this one did come on and work. If it pops again, they said they'll up it to 600w for me (weee)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom