Empire: Total War

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
Haven't managed to play it yet, was going to play it yesterday but Steam hadn't released the game yet because of the time difference between the US and UK which was a huge annoyance and the first time I have had a problem with Steam. Its let me install it this morning but I have had to go to work, so I won't get to play it till tonight and I still can't wait to play it.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
hope u got a box copy? by all accounts the steam DL speed is nackered :\

installing my special forces one atm :D

megadave

I am a FH squatter
downloading a cracked copy now but will buy it if it's worth it.

bring on the boats :D

Rulke

Can't get enough of FH
Naval warfare sounds a bit of a gimmick :/

Looking forward to the patch that lets you play multiplayer campaign. There's an option that means when you fight a battle against the AI's forces, the other human player controls the army :eek:

megadave

I am a FH squatter
:D

Bit unsure what to expect really. Love the total war games but during the later eras involving gun powder i never enjoyed it as much.

Mabs

its mint :D

20 years in, France are no longer a going concern \o/

old habits die hard :(

the 3 maps is awesome aswell, in case anyone missed it :p - grand campaign, minimap bottom left, click the little arrows for US and India maps
(i know its obvious if you know its there but some people cant find it) :)

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
wtf is it with this install process?

why, when ive got a retail copy, does it only install from the first disc and then start god knows how big an update from the Steam website?

hellooooo, ive got another dvd here..... :flame:

Mabs

once u got steam installed

insert dvd, "reinstall game", let it run
should work, there is a tiny patch after tho.

if that doesnt work, restart steam, or delete the clientregistry.blob and try again :)

edit
oh and for a giggle - research Canister shot asap... 3 heroic victories and counting.. they dont like it up em :D

Coldbeard

Part of the furniture
Leading the glorious empire of Prussia to power and prosperity ;D

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
Got home and started to play last night, Had a quick look at the grand campaign and love the 3 map idea. Played a few Skirmishs against the AI to get used to new tactics I will have to use, played the sea bit too and my god it looks so good the details are amazing with the crew running about the ship, marines taking pot shots at crews on enemy ships, I can only win with overwhelming force at the moment, but I will learn.

Helme

Resident Freddy
Leading the glorious empire of Prussia to power and prosperity ;D

Same, I'm in a war against Austria and Poland currently, and with a bunch of half luck-half skill battles I've managed to hold my own and gain Warsaw & Bohemia.

This is awesome, and well worth the money spent, my only real frustration is with my artillery not being able to move, theres 24 men there, that means its 6 per cannon - it has wheels, move it?!

KevinUK

Can't get enough of FH
Helme, theres a mount and dismount button. Unless you're talking about some other artillery I haven't seen yet.

Mabs

Same, I'm in a war against Austria and Poland currently, and with a bunch of half luck-half skill battles I've managed to hold my own and gain Warsaw & Bohemia.

This is awesome, and well worth the money spent, my only real frustration is with my artillery not being able to move, theres 24 men there, that means its 6 per cannon - it has wheels, move it?!

if its the starting stuff you cant move it, check the info on it
the horse and foot artillery can move tho

oh and rockets batteries cant move :(

Helme

Resident Freddy
Yeah its the starting stuff, it wouldn't be a problem except that half the time its utterly useless because the enemy starts out of range and you have to advance.

Mabs

Yeah its the starting stuff, it wouldn't be a problem except that half the time its utterly useless because the enemy starts out of range and you have to advance.

at which point you research better stuff to overcome the problem.. such cause and effect ;)

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
Well im doing quite well as England. Although I'm appalling at naval battles haha.

And the pride of the English army, along with a load of indian irregulars got ruthless slaughtered by an absolute horde of tribesman and bowman of the Huron Confederacy in Moose Factory (and what an ace name that is).

So when I play later I'm going to have to mount another expedition up there to reclaim "our" land.

Coldbeard

Part of the furniture
Artillery isn't that much of a use at start when they're fixed or just moving way too slow. Enemies seem to pop out from all kinds of random directions also. Fire by rank is so important to research, gives line infantery much more firepower and capabilities. Cavalry is also incredibly effective when used right with a proper charge, totally tears another unit apart. Cavalery is pretty limited by the terrain usually though, always alot of fences, objects and buildings in the way.

I've just wiped out Poland - Lithuania with Prussia, not particulary hard to get rid of but persistant. Kept sending out small forces that burned down my economic structures all the time, pretty annoying and effective. Next move is to conquer the numerous small german states to the west and then test powers with Austria, which seems pretty weakened and left without allies. I've built up good trade relations and alliances with Great Britain. Alot of nations doesn't seem to do much at all. France have just slowly faded away and Dutch Nations got wiped out by Hannover(!)

Anyways, line infantery charge in slow motion; AWESOME!

Mabs

Artillery isn't that much of a use at start when they're fixed or just moving way too slow. Enemies seem to pop out from all kinds of random directions also. Fire by rank is so important to research, gives line infantery much more firepower and capabilities. Cavalry is also incredibly effective when used right with a proper charge, totally tears another unit apart. Cavalery is pretty limited by the terrain usually though, always alot of fences, objects and buildings in the way.

I've just wiped out Poland - Lithuania with Prussia, not particulary hard to get rid of but persistant. Kept sending out small forces that burned down my economic structures all the time, pretty annoying and effective. Next move is to conquer the numerous small german states to the west and then test powers with Austria, which seems pretty weakened and left without allies. I've built up good trade relations and alliances with Great Britain. Alot of nations doesn't seem to do much at all. France have just slowly faded away and Dutch Nations got wiped out by Hannover(!)

Anyways, line infantery charge in slow motion; AWESOME!

i got "fire and advance" on my infantry, doesnt seem to work tho
tried toggling it with fire at will on and off. nothing. turned it off, told em to move, they started doing it, so feck knows.

also got platoon firing. not sure what the requirements for each are.
fire, kneel, man behind fire.. still works.
ive only seen the platoon firing ONCE, when infantry were 4 deep. all 4 fired, next 4 fired, etc.

as for artillery.. canister is good for close work
but a few Mortars with Quicklime shells is where its at. particularly for "armed militia". sick range, aoe cloud that kills instantly, chemical warfare ftw.
had 2 indian armies of 2k people rout before reaching me with 4 mortar batteries spamming that.

playing as UK, wiped;
france, spain, prussia, almost done poland-lith., green indian major power got 2 zones left, taken rest, not started on US continent really yet, apart from wiping Huron out.
at about 1760, got all tech done aswell

oh for UK people - Edinburg is where its at,. you can get -ONE- unit of Coldstream Guards and -ONE- of Blackwatch. they have 12 morale (as opposed to 5 or so), and the Blackwatch can hide pretty much anywhere :D

now if you will excuse me, i have some Rifle regiments to recruit and test on some unsupecting indians/amerindians :D

Embattle

FH is my second home
I hope there is something in there on how to stop all this crashing to desktop.

Helme

Resident Freddy
So after I fucked up royally on my last save(I got a rebellion and sided with them, then got killed by my own garrison and managed to lose my save) I started as the Dutch and managed to..... conquer Paris, it was mostly just insanely lucky - their main army moved east to deal with Austria and they left it without any other defense than civilians.

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
I'll have a look at that tweak guide, I have no probs with land battles but the sea battles is like watching a slide show when theres more than 4 ships in a battle.

Made progress in America as the British failed to stop the US from forming and are taking over the thirteen colonies (well 6 as I me and the Cheorkee have taken the rest) They don't like me at all at the moment and I can't spare a force to snuff them out, I see them being a thorn in my side in the US. My first India campaign failed badly so I am mustering a massive force in England and sending them to India for a rematch. The Sweedish declared war on me for some reason and I have four armies one turns march from their capital.

Mabs

patch is out on steam

Empire: Total War

Fixed Alt-Tab issue which prevents players from switching away from a fullscreen window

Fixed text rendering for certain resolutions

Fixed localized font overrun issues

Fixed a variety of crash and memory leak issues

Fixed a variety of multiplayer client lock

Fixed trade nodes for those nations with resource in home region which caused unprofitable trade theatre routes eg: Sweden and Marathas

Cdr

One of Freddy's beloved
Alas, the patch did nothing to solve my CTD issues on Turn 176. Soon as the AI ends its turn, CTD. Pretty much brought my campaign to a grinding halt.

Oh well.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Good game but it is a bugfest at the moment, every second turn the damn game crashes, usually when I am selecting a large fleet or land army.

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
The only thing I hope is that you can skip past the last turn and keep playing like in previous Total War Games, I usually finish a Total war game when I have conquered every province, no matter how long it takes.

Uara

Part of the furniture
I find its crashing every time I end a siege (as in i siege a city and then go into a fight) The fight goes fine and then once i've seen the losses figures etc and I click the tick it ctd's :(

Cdr

One of Freddy's beloved
The only thing I hope is that you can skip past the last turn and keep playing like in previous Total War Games, I usually finish a Total war game when I have conquered every province, no matter how long it takes.

Almost certain you can, I'm sure I've read in the Bug forums people complaining that their game was CTD'ing in the late 1800s.

Wish I could just get even close to the 1800s - constant CTD now, I'm like going 5 turns forward and then having to go 10 turns back to try and do things differently to avoid events that could lead up to a CTD.

Feels like I'm Bill Murray in Groundhog Day, and each time I reload the game the clock ticks over to 0700 and 'I got you Babe' is playing in my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom