Help Email help

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
Need to get a new work lappy as the current one needs a crank handle in the back to get it to work at any speed

Its using Vista and the inbuilt Windows Mail, so i know i will need to install Outlook, please dont offer any other alternitives as my partner will have a meltdown getting used to 8.1 as it is, i will need to try to keep somethings the same

Anyway what i need to do is import everything currently in mail, which is all the recieved and sent stuff which goes back to Jan 2010.

Is there an easy way to do this, ie a file i can save and then put into the new lappy that will put everything there in date and time order?

Cheers

Syri

FH is my second home
Easiest way I can think of, if it supports it, would be to install Outlook on the old pc, import mail from the Windows Mail program (This is the bit I don't know if it will support). Once you've got the mail imported to Outlook, export it as a .pst file. copy said .pst file to the new laptop when it arrives, then import to outlook.
Of course, if the built in mail client will export to pst, you can just do that, but it's usually only the full blown outlook that does that. I had to use a similar process helping someone move mail from outlook express to a new pc with outlook.

Edmond

thank you, i do have a full version of outlook on my home pc, i'm assuming vista will support it, not sure how many times i can use the key though, i will look into that first i think

Thank again

Syri

FH is my second home
If you install it without using a key, it will install as a 30 day trial. I think it will still let you import data and export as a pst in that state.

Edmond

If you install it without using a key, it will install as a 30 day trial. I think it will still let you import data and export as a pst in that state.

Ah yes, good point, hadn't thought of that. Thx

Obvoiusly we haven't got the new laptop yet, it doesn't have to be amazing, we literally do invoicing and quotes on it. So it will be whatever decent deal PC world are doing over the next few weeks

Syri

FH is my second home
On the subject of getting used to windows 8 btw, I'd recommend giving Classic Shell a look. They have a free start menu replacement, so it makes windows 8 pretty much like windows 7 with a few extra bits, instead of a totally alien OS.

Syri

FH is my second home
Why not just use Windows 7 then?
Because most new laptops won't come with windows 7, or any option to (legally) downgrade to windows 7. Adding a start menu program is free and easy. Much more so than trying to get a brand new,cheap, easy to set up laptop already running windows 7.

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
Meh. legally if you've got a key for Win7 you can downgrade any time you want. Just format. It may be easier to add a program but I'll still take Win7.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Syri said:
Because most new laptops won't come with windows 7, or any option to (legally) downgrade to windows 7. Adding a start menu program is free and easy. Much more so than trying to get a brand new,cheap, easy to set up laptop already running windows 7.

If you buy Windows 8 you can legally downgrade to 7 or Vista you just have to supply your own media.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom