Elections

ECA

I am a FH squatter
You're not entitled to anything in this world.
Nobody is.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
If you abrogate your right to vote you give up your right to bitch and moan about the decisions they make.

You can spoil your ballot in protest, vote for the dickgirls party, whatever but non participation is delinquent.
:iagree:

Let me rephrase my original comment then.
Choosing not to vote is an empty protest as there is no record of your opinion. Abstention is all well and good but it is comparable to apathy. Whether you actively choose not to vote or whether you decide it's all bollocks and not bother, the end result is the same (low turnout). At least turning up to the ballot and spoiling it, or returning a spoiled postal vote *IS* registered in the tallies.

rynnor

Rockhound
To be honest - if you turn up and spoil your ballot your still recorded as participating - if you dont vote at all it gets rather embarassing for the politicians and they'll eventually be forced to reform the system to encourage participation.

Its not a clearcut choice.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
To be honest - if you turn up and spoil your ballot your still recorded as participating - if you dont vote at all it gets rather embarassing for the politicians and they'll eventually be forced to reform the system to encourage participation.

Its not a clearcut choice.

Nice theory, except the only reform ever tried is compulsory voting (e.g. Australia). Most politicians have no sense of embarrasment whatsoever and would be happy to be elected by a dog called Colin if it meant power.

On the other hand, depressingly, even spoiling the ballot probably doesn't make a difference to a politician's rhino skin.

rynnor

Rockhound
On the other hand, depressingly, even spoiling the ballot probably doesn't make a difference to a politician's rhino skin.

Viva la Revolutzione!!!

You cant fix the current system - I dont see why we couldnt go for true democracy i.e. the people voting on laws rather than all power being delegated to MPs - wouldnt need any Political Party's then either...

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
Viva la Revolutzione!!!

You cant fix the current system - I dont see why we couldnt go for true democracy i.e. the people voting on laws rather than all power being delegated to MPs - wouldnt need any Political Party's then either...
There may be some merit to this! If people are prepared to sit in front of TV texting their votes for something that doesn't really matter (think of the talentless shows) then maybe we could just tack on votes for new legislation.

"Send YES to 33284 to vote FOR the Death Penalty.
Send NO to 33284 to vote AGAINST the Death Penalty.
Remember, you've only got 30 minutes to register your vote and all texts should only cost 20p."

Anyone seen "The Running Man"? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom