Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Old enough to remember how fucking batshit crackers labour was.
So.

How old were you?

Edit: I reckon even you could answer this one straight. How old were you in 1980?

If I don't give you a date to pin it on then you'll probably fuck that up too eh? :)

Last edited:

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Its not polite to ask a lady, I was 17 and had already lived through mass strikes, power cuts, watching the country go begging to the imf for the largest loan in its history to that point and that was basically what led to Thatcher.

There has never been an actual labour party since and there probably never will.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Its not polite to ask a lady, I was 17 and had already lived through mass strikes, power cuts, watching the country go begging to the imf for the largest loan in its history to that point and that was basically what led to Thatcher.

There has never been an actual labour party since and there probably never will.

lol.

Blaming Labour.

It was the collapse of Empire, something that I don't expect you to understand as you think we can bring it back and go back to the glory days.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Loss of empire my ass.
It was a country run by unions, they destroyed liverpool for one, crushed its economy and its reputation for a hundred years.
You couldnt pass the docks without a shop steward with a crowd around him that slowly moved off to the pub.

Gwadien

Loss of empire my ass.
It was a country run by unions, they destroyed liverpool for one, crushed its economy and its reputation for a hundred years.
You couldnt pass the docks without a shop steward with a crowd around him that slowly moved off to the pub.

You're such a boot licker lmao.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
lol.

Blaming Labour.

It was the collapse of Empire, something that I don't expect you to understand as you think we can bring it back and go back to the glory days.

No...that was certainly part of it, but Labour monetary policies and the fact they were effectively owned by the unions with the Block Vote made everything much worse. The journey to Britain's status as "the sick man of Europe" certainly started in 1945, progressed through our delusions of maintaining a massive military (and pissing away all our Marshall Aid on it) followed by dysfunctional management practices, and Union behaviour (stuff like job demarkation) and then loss of markets (which was a combination of end of Empire and Britain trying to flog badly made crap). But, the Labour Wilson/Callaghan government ramped up all the bad stuff to 11; man days lost to strikes went up by something like 500% (and they were already bad) and tax policies sent anyone with an IQ larger than their shoe size running for the door.

Someone had to change the way Britain worked, and whoever had the balls to do it was going to burn a lot of postwar Britain down in the process. Much as I never liked Thatcher, we were going to be even more fucked if she hadn't come along. The biggest irony as far as I'm concerned is that she recognised the value to the UK of Europe and pivoted the whole country towards it (we'd half-arsed EEC engagement in the 70s). She was adversarial with Europe, but she would never have seriously considered leaving.

Gwadien

No...that was certainly part of it, but Labour monetary policies and the fact they were effectively owned by the unions with the Block Vote made everything much worse. The journey to Britain's status as "the sick man of Europe" certainly started in 1945, progressed through our delusions of maintaining a massive military (and pissing away all our Marshall Aid on it) followed by dysfunctional management practices, and Union behaviour (stuff like job demarkation) and then loss of markets (which was a combination of end of Empire and Britain trying to flog badly made crap). But, the Labour Wilson/Callaghan government ramped up all the bad stuff to 11; man days lost to strikes went up by something like 500% (and they were already bad) and tax policies sent anyone with an IQ larger than their shoe size running for the door.

Someone had to change the way Britain worked, and whoever had the balls to do it was going to burn a lot of postwar Britain down in the process. Much as I never liked Thatcher, we were going to be even more fucked if she hadn't come along. The biggest irony as far as I'm concerned is that she recognised the value to the UK of Europe and pivoted the whole country towards it (we'd half-arsed EEC engagement in the 70s). She was adversarial with Europe, but she would never have seriously considered leaving.

I think saying 'Thatcher saved us' is whatifism at its finest.

If we didn't have Thatcher, we may have pursued an economic policy which makes us more like our European neighbours, but instead we're more like the US with a welfare state to keep the plebs happy.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
We were already set up to fail if we were going to be taking on Germany in manufacturing. Germany rebuilt after the war, we floundered miserably.

Gwadien

We were already set up to fail if we were going to be taking on Germany in manufacturing. Germany rebuilt after the war, we floundered miserably.

But that's the point, we didn't, we went down Thatcher's route, when we could have competed, and no-one knows how that would have panned out.

You could argue that Germany has the upper hand with not having a bit of water to make things difficult and their general engineering prowess, instead we gave Germany free reign over Europe whilst we focused on American ways of capitalism.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I meant in the years leading up to Thatcher, yes, she transformed us but we didn't have a great deal of other options at the time.

Gwadien

I meant in the years leading up to Thatcher, yes, she transformed us but we didn't have a great deal of other options at the time.

Again, this is all whatiffery, but I think saying Thatcher was the only option is kinda untrue. Considering how unpopular she was with her own policies.

She made a bold move, and sure she's the reason why we are where we are today, but it could be better, or could be worse. Whatiffery!

DaGaffer

Again, this is all whatiffery, but I think saying Thatcher was the only option is kinda untrue. Considering how unpopular she was with her own policies.

She made a bold move, and sure she's the reason why we are where we are today, but it could be better, or could be worse. Whatiffery!

All of our manufacturing plant was worn out junk because we'd spent thirty years building aircraft carriers instead of modern factories. The calculation to move to a service economy was based on that reasoning and also because even if we had re-tooled, we would have been up against low cost manufacturing that was taking off in Asia. It was not an unreasonable calculation at the time; Germany managed to migrate through Asian competition, but it was a close run thing, and Germany has always been more productive than the UK (apart from one year when we'd bombed them to rubble).

Whether you like it or not, the UK economy went from freefall to the second strongest in Europe by the late 80s; that would have seemed really fucking unlikely looking at the state of the UK in 1978.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
It will be looked at by the Electoral Commission, but then in a shock to absolutely no-one, nothing will happen. That's my guess.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
He's a busted flush, he will skulk back to the back-benches soon enough, another rising scumbag Tory, taken out early by getting found out.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
It will be looked at by the Electoral Commission, but then in a shock to absolutely no-one, nothing will happen. That's my guess.
Almost. As we found out in the referendum, the punishment for breaking electoral laws isn't invalidating the result or jail or anything. It's a small fine and a small telling off. Literally pointless.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Shameful...

Aside from the giant rip-off angle (the rest of that £30 is going into the pockets of a Tory supporter @Moriath) - what's shocking about that is how little actual real nutritious food is provided.

If you feed a kid that for five days (never mind ten) then he'll grow up to be a thick fat pig. (Obviously the fat part will come from when he's learned his bad eating habits and starts to eat it in volume).

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
It's less than £5 worth (even less so when you consider bulk purchasing) and has extremely limited nutritional value.

Still, Tories eh? 'Let them eat cake'

DaGaffer

Aside from the giant rip-off angle (the rest of that £30 is going into the pockets of a Tory supporter @Moriath) - what's shocking about that is how little actual real nutritious food is provided.

If you feed a kid that for five days (never mind ten) then he'll grow up to be a thick fat pig. (Obviously the fat part will come from when he's learned his bad eating habits and starts to eat it in volume).

Its not that bad. Its not exactly deep fried Mars Bars ffs. The value is bad, but the food content itself isn't terrible for kids. Not enough protein except the cheese though.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Its not that bad. Its not exactly deep fried Mars Bars ffs. The value is bad, but the food content itself isn't terrible for kids. Not enough protein except the cheese though.
It's largely refined sugar. Let me grab the pic...

1610454137613.png

Yeah, everything to the right of the apples is shit that isn't real food. It's refined sugar (or fruit that's been processed in a way that causes a massive sugar spike) and exactly the sort of shit why we have rapidly rising type-2 diabetes and massive obesity problems. People look at it and go "it's not that bad" - and yes, if you were out on an all-day hike it would give you a nice boost to available carbs whislt being nutritionally defunct - tide you over until you could get some proper food. But for a kid that's supposed to be learning stuff (whilst not burning up all the sugar with massive blood sugar spikes and insulin response being primed for his middle aged spread) it's a crock of shit.

An apple a day, not three bad. Heinz beanz, higher in salt than they should be and again loads of sugar, but not terrible, depending on what you eat them with. Oh yes, a jacket potato. Again, readily available carbs. Not terrible there though, in moderation.

I saw the bread. Nowadays, unless you're lucky enough to have an artisan sourdough bread maker who's apt to spend 3 days making you a fully wholemeal whole-grain bread using traditional methods then you can pretty much call it junk food. Modern bread has no nutritional value and guess what? Readily available carbs because it goes from stomach>blood ridiculously quickly.

I'd argue that "not that bad" actually means - "not too far from what most people would feed their kids".

The problem I have is that what most people would feed their kids is absolute shite. And that's why 70% of the UK population is overweight or obese, that we're suffering from diseases that we banished in the 18th century because the food we eat is so nutrient poor (rickets is making a comeback) and that diabetes is a mortal threat to NHS funding (and responsible for a massive increase in amputees).

Yay capitalism. (And spineless governmental regulation).

Anyway. Hey ho :)

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
He was clearly referring to the picture which was bread/fruit/cheese etc.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
He was clearly referring to the picture which was bread/fruit/cheese etc.
And soreen and fruit shoots - and I referred to it myself saying the bread was a load of shit.

I'm not sure about the cheese singles - a lot of them come chock full of preservatives - since cheese is supposed to come, you know, in mouldy blocks :)

Edit: Refer to any picture you like m8. None of them are nutritionally good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom