Edit?

leggy

Probably Scottish
Sorry, this is more of a forum problem than a true technical problem.

Is there a maximum time limit on editing forum posts? It's just that I have gone back to re-edit posts (URLs of image locations) and I can't edit them anymore. They are only a few days old.

Can anyone shed some light on this please?

Thanks

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi leggy

There's no limit that I am aware of. What kind of error, if any, do you encounter?

Kind Regards

leggy

Probably Scottish
There is no error. Just a lack of edit button. I have logged off and logged on again to no avail.

/edit

The edit button only appears on the newer posts.

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hmm, that's really bizarre. I can edit all my posts in the forums which I moderate, but outside of those areas I too am edit-button-less in my older posts :) *sniff*

Kind Regards

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
afaik it's a function of vB3, test bit is down atm so I can't login to check

Chilly

Balls of steel
me too, i need to edit a post of mine because its a running thing and i cant, will have to get a mod to do it for me for the time being.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Can we have this fixed please?

I'd like to re-direct my old links from webspace that I can no longer use.

Thanks!!

Will

/bin/su
If it is just a few, and they are in the general forum, just PM me the details.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I noticed this as an issue - alot of the DAOCers want to have stuck threads with static details which they update from time to time. Right now I have to put a placeholder in and they post a new post and I delete their old one, but it's definitely a bit of a nuisance and I can't see any pros for having it that way myself...

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi guys

Having had just a quick gander (so don't take this as the gospel truth) vB3 apparently includes the ability to set a timelimit after which users can no longer edit their own posts. After this point only moderators and admins can edit messages. I don't have access to the settings here at FH, but I suspect that's what's causing all this.

The reasoning, so I believe, is apparently because there is no means of tracking the edits users make to their own posts. Thus, by imposing a timelimit, it is hoped that the admins/moderators could keep a better eye on what people were posting, and thus prevent users trying to say "But I don't post that ... honest" etc.

There's apparently a feature request for vB3.1 that tracking of post edits be implemented, but other than waiting for that, I guess it's up to the powers that be at FH whether or not the timelimit setting, assuming there is one, gets changed.

Kind Regards

dysfunction

FH is my second home
But I didnt post that....honest!

Seriously though, since we're into self moderation I dont see any reason why we have this time limit.

Grand old Deebs will have to sort this one out by the looks of it.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Jonty said:
Hi guys

Having had just a quick gander (so don't take this as the gospel truth) vB3 apparently includes the ability to set a timelimit after which users can no longer edit their own posts. After this point only moderators and admins can edit messages. I don't have access to the settings here at FH, but I suspect that's what's causing all this.

The reasoning, so I believe, is apparently because there is no means of tracking the edits users make to their own posts. Thus, by imposing a timelimit, it is hoped that the admins/moderators could keep a better eye on what people were posting, and thus prevent users trying to say "But I don't post that ... honest" etc.

There's apparently a feature request for vB3.1 that tracking of post edits be implemented, but other than waiting for that, I guess it's up to the powers that be at FH whether or not the timelimit setting, assuming there is one, gets changed.

Kind Regards
I think its also partly due to the fact that in VB2.x if an admin edited a post, the user could always edit it back.

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
MYstIC G said:
I think its also partly due to the fact that in VB2.x if an admin edited a post, the user could always edit it back.
Ah, very good point :) I guess we'll have to wait and see what vB3 Final brings, but now you've said that, it does make more sense to have some sort of limitation on things.

Kind Regards

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Why?

Was this a big issue at Barrysworld? I dont recall there being any issues about people editing their old posts

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Who said anything about BarrysWorld? I'm talking about what VB2 could do and what VB3 can do. As VB2 never had this feature old posts being locked would never have been an issue.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I dont think you understood me.

This feature of the old posts being locked appears to me as though its being favoured around here rather than having it turned off.

I was just wondering why this is the case. I only brought up BW cos I wanted to know if this feature would have been implemented there if it was available. ie were there problems with people editing old posts and causing problems.

If there were a lot of problems then I can understand the feature remaining in place here. If it wasnt a problem then there is no real reason for it to remain enabled.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
*tries again*
  • It would never have come up at BW as was never an option there...
  • It's probably activated as a default feature in VB3
  • Just re-post what you want to in a new post on the thread? From a personal viewpoint if I'm reading a thread I never go over the old pages, as it's already been done.
  • DAoC stuff - can't that be achieved with an announcement?
I don't see what the big deal is personally.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
My point is:

* There is a new forum feature
* This feature enabled doesnt solve any problems
* No reason for it being there

* If it does solve problems - then its a good idea for it being enabled.

* Some threads may need updating and it would be a bit irritating having to keep asking a mod to change it. (Like people trying to sell items - nice to be able to update your list of available items instead of making a new post)

Lastly:

*very curious as to the resistance to change this

Driwen

Fledgling Freddie
for example you have a thread that organises something, a real life meeting or a time to go play daoc together/cs, etc. Preferably the first post would be up to date with whose coming and when and where to meet.
Now mods have to edit these posts or you would need to put a link to a webpage with that info (so you can keep it up to date). People dont really want to go read a thread to find the post with the up to date info and it would be nice not to have make a new thread for this.
So if there isnt any real reason that this is on, except that it is done so by default. It would be nice to be able to edit all your own posts no matter how long ago it was.

TedTheDog

Fred's & Barry's co-founder
This sort of thing is usually intentional. Its a protection against people saying something "uncalled for" that causes the shit to hit the fan and then they delete said naughty and pretend it didnt happen. Preservation of evidence kinda deal, and also forces people to think a bit more about what they post as they have to stand by it.
Of course, in the instances quoted here it becomes a pain in the arse, but theres a good reason for this sort of thing.
No idea what its set to (how many days), we shall see when hrh returns.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
It looks to me the lock out is a day which is a bit short...dont you think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom