Question Economic Situation in European Countries

xomer

Can't get enough of FH
I make this thread cause i really wanna see if only Greece is in so bad economic situation or there are many other countries in Europe with many problems etc.

In Greece the Unemployment rate is almost at 20% - 25%. All the young ages are thinking to move abroad for a better future.

So, how's the economic situation in your country ?

Ormorof

FH is my second home
not so bad here in Finland, everything seems to be ticking along, people moan abit whenever Ireland, or the "Lazy meditaranians" are mentioned...

that said i heard from a friend who lives in Hull that the local paper claims they are now at about 68% unemployment there so its not exactly all cookies and cream in the UK either i guess... (that said, Hull had unemployment of nearly 20% at the peak of the boom, but its still a pretty massive amount of people in the city on benefits now)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Yeah pretty much what Ormorof said, same as always. Some sh*t, but it's the same sh*t :p

Ormorof

FH is my second home
that said, this is the info i get from reading a very limited amount of english language newspapers and talking to colleagues, as i dont speak finnish my info is pretty limited, but am pretty sure someone would tell me if the economy was collapsing around me :p

rynnor

Rockhound
that said i heard from a friend who lives in Hull that the local paper claims they are now at about 68% unemployment there so its not exactly all cookies and cream in the UK either i guess... (that said, Hull had unemployment of nearly 20% at the peak of the boom, but its still a pretty massive amount of people in the city on benefits now)

There are problems in the Northeast but in general the unemployment rate has risen but its still a pretty low level in the UK. The trains are as packed full of commuters as ever in fact you can actually see the recovery by the train usage.

It was noticeably emptier for a year or so at the low point of the recession but its back to busy now. Still theres some bad news in the future as we are due to start getting rid of a million+ civil servants over the next few years...

Ormorof

FH is my second home
There are problems in the Northeast but in general the unemployment rate has risen but its still a pretty low level in the UK. The trains are as packed full of commuters as ever in fact you can actually see the recovery by the train usage.

It was noticeably emptier for a year or so at the low point of the recession but its back to busy now. Still theres some bad news in the future as we are due to start getting rid of a million+ civil servants over the next few years...

hehe yeah, the problem being in Hull that those who are not already unemployed, many are employed as civil servants, safest job in the city? in the unemployment office i would guess :p

and a rise in people using trains could mean people are driving less?

my parents commute by train now rather than driving (and paying extortionate parking fees)

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
We are about to start shedding some time wasters and seat fillers in the bloated public sector (the state does not owe them a job) but other than that things are starting to look up here in the UK. Unemployment didn't hit the massive heights predicted by the media, people have just had to tighten their belts.

VAT is going up in the new year so money will be a little bit tighter but you just have to get on with it don't you?

All in all the Tories seem to have got in at just the right time, it would be a disaster if spending had carried on like before.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
hehe yeah, the problem being in Hull that those who are not already unemployed, many are employed as civil servants, safest job in the city? in the unemployment office i would guess :p

and a rise in people using trains could mean people are driving less?

my parents commute by train now rather than driving (and paying extortionate parking fees)

Hull has always puzzled me, the unemployment figures out way of whack with most of the country and yet it is the largest city for miles around which should make it an employment hub if anything. I know the fishing industry is on it's arse but if unemployment is so high there then why aren't people moving away en masse or government encouraging new investment in the area?

rynnor

Rockhound
Hull has always puzzled me, the unemployment figures out way of whack with most of the country and yet it is the largest city for miles around which should make it an employment hub if anything. I know the fishing industry is on it's arse but if unemployment is so high there then why aren't people moving away en masse or government encouraging new investment in the area?

Its a welfare state town - it has big structural unemployment but instead of encouraging them to move south where the jobs are the welfare state effectively traps the locals dooming a large chunk of em to a life on benefits.

Labour tried to flood the area with fake civil service posts but that was just another prop thats likely to be withdrawn soon.

The reality is that places have to be allowed to fail - in the past people would have abandoned an area when the jobs went but now we turn them into state benefit towns.

Wij

I am a FH squatter

It keeps it a Labour safe seat :)

Chilly

Balls of steel
Its a welfare state town - it has big structural unemployment but instead of encouraging them to move south where the jobs are the welfare state effectively traps the locals dooming a large chunk of em to a life on benefits.

Labour tried to flood the area with fake civil service posts but that was just another prop thats likely to be withdrawn soon.

The reality is that places have to be allowed to fail - in the past people would have abandoned an area when the jobs went but now we turn them into state benefit towns.

Moving south is not the solution. Encouraging private enterprise in the North is what you do. Anything else is purely a step down the road of evacuating the North entirely.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
not so bad here in Finland, everything seems to be ticking along, people moan abit whenever Ireland, or the "Lazy meditaranians" are mentioned...

I think your friend has it back asswards. Its 68% employment. Which is still shit as 42% are "economically inactive" to use the modern parlance.

I'm in Ireland so I think my sig says it all...

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
heard on the radio the other day some dude saying that the euro wasnt long for this world if things keep going like this ... and maybe in 5 years or so germany and france etc will get pissed off holding the rest up and go back to national currencies

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
I think your friend has it back asswards. Its 68% employment. Which is still shit as 42% are "economically inactive" to use the modern parlance.

I'm in Ireland so I think my sig says it all...

Do you work for an Irish bank? Because if you do I think I may have spotted the problem :p

Tom

I am a FH squatter
We're fucked, tbh. We have massive unfunded pension liabilities. The state is far too big an employer. Taxes are too high. The government has printed off a load more money, making everyone's money worth less.

I wish everyone would stop blaming the banks. Its the present and previous governments, and the people who voted them in power, who are responsible for the huge structural deficit we now have.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
We are about to start shedding some time wasters and seat fillers in the bloated public sector (the state does not owe them a job) but other than that things are starting to look up here in the UK. Unemployment didn't hit the massive heights predicted by the media, people have just had to tighten their belts.

VAT is going up in the new year so money will be a little bit tighter but you just have to get on with it don't you?

All in all the Tories seem to have got in at just the right time, it would be a disaster if spending had carried on like before.
:iagree:

Turamber

Part of the furniture

With maths like that somehow I'm not surprised which country you are in...

Ormorof

FH is my second home

its sad but true, i met people there who had never worked, their parents had never worked and their grandparents never went back to work back in the 50's

with the massive council estates in bransholme/orchard park/kingswood etc meaning free housing, bills and enough money to live on (i have never seen such a cheap place, even while unemployed for 3 months i had enough for rent, food and some left over to boot, doesnt suprise me the local boozers are always packed)

edit: and they breed like its nobodys business! i saw this guide to Hull and thought i would add it here:

Do not look into their eyes.
Remain indoors
The women and children are just as dangerous
Never. Ever. Venture into Bransholme

Tuthmes

FH is my second home
We're fucked, tbh. We have massive unfunded pension liabilities. The state is far too big an employer. Taxes are too high. The government has printed off a load more money, making everyone's money worth less.

I wish everyone would stop blaming the banks. Its the present and previous governments, and the people who voted them in power, who are responsible for the huge structural deficit we now have.

The banks have a big part in this aswell and if it wasnt for "the people" the banks would have bin bankrupted 2 years ago (well most of them anyway).

The funny part is that "the people" payed for the banks to keep them alive and now have to pay for the mess it caused aswell. Still there are people that will say; "well it has te be done because there is no other way".

Unlimited growth in a free market my ass. Anyone with a bit of a brain will see or atleast feel that the concept is as flawed and corrupt as communism.

Let's put our tinfoil hats on and wait what Spain will make of this mess.

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
Remain indoors

Haha I remember Bransholme, I lived in Wawne for 10 years, a village just down the road and had to travel through Branny into Hull every day on the way to work.

Bus got stoned once, that was fun........

place is a right toilet, mini motorbikes and teen mums everywhere.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
The banks have a big part in this aswell and if it wasnt for "the people" the banks would have bin bankrupted 2 years ago (well most of them anyway).

The funny part is that "the people" payed for the banks to keep them alive and now have to pay for the mess it caused aswell. Still there are people that will say; "well it has te be done because there is no other way".

Unlimited growth in a free market my ass. Anyone with a bit of a brain will see or atleast feel that the concept is as flawed and corrupt as communism.

Let's put our tinfoil hats on and wait what Spain will make of this mess.

The UK's structural deficit existed a long, long time before the current mess.

DaGaffer

its sad but true, i met people there who had never worked, their parents had never worked and their grandparents never went back to work back in the 50's

with the massive council estates in bransholme/orchard park/kingswood etc meaning free housing, bills and enough money to live on (i have never seen such a cheap place, even while unemployed for 3 months i had enough for rent, food and some left over to boot, doesnt suprise me the local boozers are always packed)

edit: and they breed like its nobodys business! i saw this guide to Hull and thought i would add it here:

Remain indoors

I lived in Bransholme for a few months when I was at school; it was awful then and that was nearly 30 years ago; especially as I'd been living in posh Swanland prior to that.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
I lived in Bransholme for a few months when I was at school; it was awful then and that was nearly 30 years ago; especially as I'd been living in posh Swanland prior to that.

hehe i was "lucky" i lived off Newland Avenue and Princes Avenue, with all the other students, drug addicts and prostitutes (in my 2nd year of uni, the house next door was actually a brothel, they were raided several times by the police and were frequently visited by men in suits, parking their BMW's and Mercedes outside our house, popping in with the neighbours for a few hours and then heading home at 1-2am)

i read that the Lebanese banks were told by the finance minister months ahead of the crisis to pull out of all their international investments and invest it all in Lebanon, which means they escaped mostly unscathed from the bad debt etc

Tuthmes

FH is my second home
The UK's structural deficit existed a long, long time before the current mess.

So lets raise taxes and cut spending while in the meanwhiled we bail out banks who finance our property/assets (which are getting less worth atm) with mortages and loans at higher prices.

DaGaffer

hehe i was "lucky" i lived off Newland Avenue and Princes Avenue, with all the other students, drug addicts and prostitutes (in my 2nd year of uni, the house next door was actually a brothel, they were raided several times by the police and were frequently visited by men in suits, parking their BMW's and Mercedes outside our house, popping in with the neighbours for a few hours and then heading home at 1-2am)

I lived all over Hull in the ten years I lived there; the aforementioned Swanland and Bransholme, Inglemire Lane (behind the Uni), Ferriby, a shonky flat on Beverly Road (above a bakers which is a really bad idea; great smell, terrible racket), and a fancy flat on the Marina (which would have cost about a million quid anywhere else in the UK and was about 20K in Hull). I still get quite defensive about Hull, especially when people who've never been slag it off; I've lived in worse places (Salford), and sometimes rougher places are a lot more fun to be in, especially when you're young; so long as you're there by choice. There's parts of Hull that are actually very nice, just like any city.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom