E-HDD power adapter went kerplunk..

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Hey all,

So, my Western Digital (Elements, 750gb) power adapter went kerplunk a few days ago and I'm unable to get a replacement anywhere (AD6008 unit) other than from EBay or the US in the next few days (kinda need the files on it) - Anyone know where I'm able to get a replacement pack? Been to the usual places offline and nothing, and I don't really want to wait 2 weeks for a replacement to arrive.

Much thanks.

EDIT:

Also, anyone know if I'm able to get a 1tb+ drive? Which runs JUST on USB2? Without the need of a stupidy lame power adapter?

Kryten

Old Cow.
The power adapters for external hard drives are often very proprietary due to having to supply more than one voltage, so i'm afraid that's going to be a nono.

As for PSU less hard drives of that size - don't exist. The nearest you'll get will be a 320gb 2.5" drive as they'll run of the 5v USB - and even then might require a double headed USB cable to drive it.

Overdriven

Cheers Kryt, was guessing it'd be a long shot. Looks like I'm calling WD on Monday. :(

Overdriven

Kryt, I left the power supply unplugged since yesterday and plugged it back into the mains - the supply now powers up.. But the second I plug it into the drive, it dies.

Do you think it's the power or the drive itself? Worth me sending off to WD (I'll get the replacement first) or getting a new enclosure for it? As long as I can get the files off it eventually, I've got no problem.

Kryten

Old Cow.
You can usually get to the PCB's in enclosures very easily, but not sure about WD's - if you can pop it open and have a look at the chips and other components carefully. May well find something's blown, if that's the case the enclosure is probably the culprit (however it could've been the supply that caused it). If it's ok, then it's almost certainly just the supply.

If you do see any damaged components, I might even think twice about plugging the replacement supply in as it could nacker that too. And if you can't even get to the enclosures PCB, it's an even bigger risk that you blow up the replacement supply too.

Overdriven

Well, I ended up opening it. Good news and bad news.. GOOD news it's a SATA to USB connection AND I connected it to my PC and it was detected, and the disk still works.

The bad news is, I now have to either buy a new enclosure or buy a SATA power and data cable.. Depends on how portable I want it to be while I'm here. Might just leave it in my machine till I get to uni, get a new portable and use that for the same reason I had that one.

BTW, the WD one I have was easy to open, just 6-8 screws :)

Kryten

Old Cow.
The layout of these enclosures are fairly identical across the range with the same sata-usb bridge chips, meaning you can buy an el-cheapo Sumvision thing for £5 which is just about identical electronically to something 50 times the price from the likes of WD, plextor etc :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom