Help DVD-RW Drive will not play Audio CD's (Vista)

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Hi folks,

My DVD-RW drive will not play Audio CD's.

I'm using Vista 64x Ultimate.

When i put the CD in, it is recongised, the track listing comes up etc, but when i try to play any songs it says the disc is dirty or files corrupt etc. I've tired with a number of CD's, many of which were brand new.

This is in Windows Media Player, Winamp and VLC player.

Any ideas guys?

Cheers

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
A little bit more information:-

One track on all the CD's will play, but i'm told the rest of the tracks are corrupt.

The drive is an Opitarc DVD RW Ad-7200S scsi Cdrom drive (thats what it says in device manager anyway)

Kryten

Old Cow.
It's picking it up as a scsi when it's in fact a SATA. This is a side-effect of some types of drivers, making me suspect that maybe it's more of a software issue.
Can you/have you updated the chipset drivers for your motherboard, may be a good port of call.
Failing that, Vista 64 does have a hatred of a few types of drives, especially NEC ones. Looking up, the optiarc you have is an NEC derivative. It might be worth seeing if you can borrow another drive to test if the driver update didn't help.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Thanks, will give them a try now :)

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Are they copied audio cd's? Mine (asus) is a pain in the ass with those. Mine seems to be a problem with the actual hardware (read loads of posts about it). I kept reading loads of posts of people failing to make more suitable drives for it.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Bahumat : aye, especially those NECs, hence why I got rid of both mine and got another random pair. One's a hitachi/LG and the other is a toshiba samsung. Both of those are fine.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Updated the chipset drivers, now working as expected! Thank you both!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom