Question DVD-RW broken?

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
The DVD drive in my desktop appears to have stopped playing DVDs although it still works happily with CDs.

A quick google search shows a split between people saying that the lasers/lens inside the DVD drive is broken and I need to get a new one and those people that say its a software problem and I just need to install windows etc.

Is there any sure fire way to tell if its a hardware problem? I have tried to boot off the DVD drive and it hasn't work so I suspect it is broken. Its like 5 years old so not a huge surprise although its not often used. Any recommendations on getting a new one?

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
To be honest Cadelin whilst someone else might know of a decent test suite, I'd just be inclined to check the cables and if no improvement then replace it. They're not a difficult component to swap out and you can get brand new DVD-RW's from places like eBuyer for under £15.

Kryten

Old Cow.
You could download a usb bootable version of ubuntu or mint linux or similar and try it in there (so no installation necessary)
But as above, they're hardly an expensive item! Use it as an excuse to get a BR player if you must ;)

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
If you bump the budget, you can pick up a BD-RE drive for £20-£30. Like MysticG said, it's a straightforward swapout. If you can change an electric plug, you have the skills needed to change a CD/DVD/BRD drive.

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
You could download a usb bootable version of ubuntu or mint linux or similar and try it in there (so no installation necessary)
But as above, they're hardly an expensive item! Use it as an excuse to get a BR player if you must ;)

Thanks, I tried it this morning. Ubuntu doesn't pick up DVDs so it looks like its fucked.

I don't have a problem with buying a new drive, I just didn't want to buy something that didn't fix the problem. I don't own any BR disks and I don't intend to start now.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Not surprised. I have 2 opticals (BR and DVD) and could do without either very easily these days.

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
How much are blank BR discs now though, i looked at getting a BR burner when i re built my desktop 2 yrs ago, but the discs were sooooooo much money, i didnt bother

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom