Dust

P

prime1

BF1942 sux, i really wanted to like the game, but it was far too random, the net code was a joke, basically it wasnt finished. That was when it first came out though, so things may have improved.

However Planetside is gona be the daddy, its bf1942, except in the future, with proper financial support, its in a consistent world, 1000 player servers and far more weapons, vehicles etc etc

Its an FPS MMOG :eek:

CS is still the daddy at the moment though. Its a good balance between arcade and realism, loads of people playing it all levels (just for fun, competetive and pro etc).

The cheating situation is much better than it used to be, but there are still plenty of wallhacks and general hacks around, although not so many aim bots. But then again, nothings gona stop someone using Roger Wilco with a friend anyway.

T

throdgrain

You obviously haven't tried version 1.2 of BF.The netcode is fixed, 99 times better than 1.1.
Try it, you'l be amazed at the difference.

A

adams901

Originally posted by throdgrain
Actually, although Im a fan of BF1942 Wij is right in saying that in a small arena 1 on 1 the game would suck. It still lags sometimes up close on isdn ( i dont know if this is true of broadband ?? ) ,and maps like Berlin that are essentially close quarters troop battles can be a pain in the arse for me.
Also sometimes Im really not sure those ping figures are accurate, I rarely get 30 ping on cs with 10 players, let alone 30 ping with 50 players on maps that size !
However imo this can be forgiven for the massive scope of the game, and most importantly for giving me the ability to drive the tanks, something which amuses me no end :)

you're probally right in the fact that it would suck in a small arena with 1v1 but I would like to point out that it was made to be a team game, it wasn't made for a 1v1 in a small arena, it is totally different to quake.

S

Shocko

CS is "teh ghey". The gameplay is too slow, you'll NEVER get teamplay on publics(there's an object you fuckwit, running right past the bombsite whilst carrying the fucking bomb!), and the HL engine totally sucks.

Now UrbanTerror, there's a game that owns with a capital 'P' :D If you know where to play, the CTF gamemode is practically a teamplay magnet! You can bunnyhop like Quake, so fast gameplay is assured, but there's a stamina meter that means you can only go fast so far. The weapons all rock, and there's none of this "You must lying on the ground for 5minutes before your gun will actually hit what your aiming at" shite that games like CS seem to use. The SPAS12 is currently overpowered, however it doesn't ruin the game too much. Netcode owns, you don't need the latest GeForce card to run it... Oh, and in CTF, the gameplay is as fast as fuck, but still requires teamplay to win, and deffinately there for the skilled player to flourish.

I haven't played anything besides UrbanTerror for god knows how long :) Well, about 5 months probably :)

T

throdgrain

Sorry m8, Ive got UT again recently after losing it in reformat. And it is a good game.
But its not a patch on cs im afraid.
Play a round of UT and what do you get at the end of it ? Another round of UT.
Each round of cs leads to more / less money , which leads to stronger / weaker team. There is some team play on publics, not as much as I would like, but on UT you dont really need team play, unless camping spawn is a tactic all of a sudden.
The guns on UT seem ludicrously underpowered. And there arnt many of em either. And they dont seem to have much recoil either, just point and squirt.
Another thing, when you hit someone on cs they stop momentarily, as you would , so you aim at the same place and 3 AK bullets = dead. I appreciate this isnt realistic, but it seems far more so than shooting a running bloke 6 times with an m4 and he doesnt even slow down !
The maps on UT are pretty , I'll give you that , and to me its a better game than SoF2, which seems to be modelled on UT. But better than cs ? I wish :) The player models let down the maps too, as they seem to have skateboard knee pads on for some reason ... CS models are still among the best I have seen.

ps sorry this aint an all-out assault on you Shocko, just observations, I only (re) downloaded the full 243 mb the other night, so its fresh in me mind :) No doubt I will play it from time to time too, just to mess up my cs aim, so you can teach me the error of me ways then !

W

Will

Bah, you bunch of girls, you all need to play Operation Flashpoint.

The main game-play type is Co-op, which leads to teamwork (Rambo would last a minute at most). Nice variety of missions, from armour and air assaults, to desperate infantry defending, right through to special operation sneaking into an enemy base, planting charges, and laughing as you detonate them. I've never played a game where I spend 20 minutes slowly crawling about in the dark, my heart constantly racing with the thought I might get spotted.

Then again, I am biased.;)

T

Trem

I love UT, I hate TO, I wished I liked TO, I really wished I could get into it.

CS is still the best for me so far, I desperately want to love something else, but its no use just yet.:(

T

Testin da Cable

I love the unrealism of err...UT, it's like the bastard son of a manga and a disney cartoon. I play it to have a laugh, and am hardly serious as I melee through the maps. I enjoy watching people's playing styles, for example Wij -a male ballet lead dancing through a map, Wazz -a living aimbot [who can be killed if he's distracted enough], MystiCG -he who runs in front of you when you're trying to run in front of him, Will -a patch of red mist where my rocket was hehe. We should get together again and play guys :)
I tend to dislike the more "serious" [or realistic if you will] games, combat sims, whatever because of the very fact that they're rather real. I don't want true recoil, or wounds slowing me down or getting hurt when I drop 5 meters. I just want to point my gyroreactionpistol at an enemy and blow them into red mist with a/p tipped personal atomics :)
slight paradox there: I can be serious when playing games, but I don't play "serious" games. One games I intend to get and play very seriously is Morrowind, while a similar game I play "just for laughs" is NeverWinter. Just what you want, I guess :)

W

Will

Originally posted by Testin da Cable
Will -a patch of red mist where my rocket was hehe.
He lies. He should have said "the coward who hides in a stupid far-away place with a sniper rifle, or spamming grenades".;)

T

throdgrain

Ahem. We're talking about Urban Terror , the Q3 mod, not Unreal Tournament, the gay Q3 impersonator ;)

Op Flash is good, though the Co-Op version Will's on about is a bit like playing the Single player version online. Ie, better off playing the singel player in the first place, in my o so humble opinion :)

T

Testin da Cable

Originally posted by throdgrain
Ahem. We're talking about Urban Terror , the Q3 mod, not Unreal Tournament, the gay Q3 impersonator ;)

I was talking about Unreal Tournament, the game, not Urban Terror, a mod for quaakeIII, shiteness supreme :p

:D

T

throdgrain

TDC you poor misguided fool.....
Tremor, I assume you were talking about Unreal Tac Ops ? Must say I thought that even worse than Urban Terror :(

S

Shocko

Throddy, the best gametype for Q3UT is CTF. The TS is deffinately a bit boring, but CTF is really fun. The best UK server for it is the Aardvark one(IP: 146.87.220.11:27964), allthough it's down atm, and probably will be for a few days, since it sits in a Uni where someone works, and he's currently away... You will need the main custom maps to play on there also, but try to pop in, because you will get a damn good game :)

When i first downloaded Q3UT, i played it off and on, casually, for about 6months... Then i discovered CTF on that server, and i was hooked!

Users who are viewing this thread