dunno where to begin

Yaka

Part of the furniture
i registered yaka.co.uk (.com and .net were taken:/ ) recently but i have no idea how to go about seting a primative site up basicly to put up pics of family friends cars and mabe the odd rat thats been cricket batted to death.

anyways can anyone point out a simple easy to follow guide that someone like my self would understand?

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Start off with which ISP are you using and who did you register the domain with, as those may provide a possible solution right off the bat.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
my isp is ntl, i registered it tru me clan mate eQ-Tim who runs crabnet.de

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
the NTL site is hard to navigate, but I'd suggest you make use of your free webspace ( http://www.ntlworld.com/toolsservices/webspace/index.php ). If your mate has set up your domain he should be able to sort out so it hooks onto ya webspace.

Some peeps with an actual NTL account may be able to help ya more than me, i'm BlueYonder i'm afraid.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
think ive not been understood, i wont be using me ntl web space ill be using the web space that i got from crabnet. tried looking for books at whsmiths and pcworld pretty much anything i found i didnt understand:/

MKJ

Fledgling Freddie
How limited is your knowledge? There are logical steps to creating a website. These are:

1 Obtain webspace. Have you some with your internet provider? Normally they provide some.

2 A method of transfering files from your computer to your host. A host is nothing more than some guys with another computer. Your website will be on their computer so you gotta get the files transfered there. These file transferers are refered to as FTP file transferers. Lots of free ones about. The host computer you need to send files to will be password protected. You will need the User Name and Password allocated to you so that you can setup the ftp transferer. Without them forget it! I can post some FTP file transferers or you can go to download.com or somewhere and get one from there. I really like CuteFTP as it is simple yet does the job nicely.

3 A website? You now have webspace yet what now? Well it is quite simple really but there are a few points to consider first. When you look for a website you home in on say - download.com and up pops the website. But there is one file that makes the site work initially and that is the index file. This can be in a number of forms. By this I mean the extension can be different (the 3 letters after the index file name - could be .htm - html - php and so on). That is where the website starts. To keep it simple the file you need make a website start working is index.htm or index.html. This is if you just put in the web address and expect the site to start. This is not really necessary initially as you can put in the address of a file that is on your website - such as download.com/hello.htm. That would kick off into life a file called hello.htm (if one existed) on download.com. But if you wanted download.com to spring into life then an index file has to be there.

4 Eh what is a webpage? You can quickly learn this doing as follows. Make sure you computer can see extensions. This is not really necessary but you will need to set the computer up to do so at some stage. Open any directory on your computer then go to Tools - Options - View (top of screen) then unclick 'Hide extensions for known file types'. Open notepad or similar. Stick some text innit and resave it on your desktop. The file is white ofcourse as it is a notepad file - a txt file (extension txt). Ok reopen the file and resave it with a different extension - htm instead of txt. It will now appear blue and have an internet explorer icon on it. Bravo you have just created a webpage! All you gotta do now is transfer the file to your website using the ftp client. Once you know your web address of your website you can target the transfered file and it will appear on your screen.

Not really hard is it :) .

You jump from one file to another using links. Again very easy.

I have been very cheeky and insulting probably with the above but if you haven't any knowledge about website designing I have found the instructions help anyone get started.

Regards

MKJ
Me site.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
heh thanks for the info mjk

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom