Duke Nukem Forever

MrHorus

Can't get enough of FH
Gaming's most famous vapourware finally has a release date - May 3rd 2011.

I really, really hope they don't fuck this up.

12 years is a long time to wait for a game :)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Starting a vapourware thread without a link?

I wouldn't even believe it if I saw it in the shops :)

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
It's May 6th unless you're a yank.

It looks like it'll be quite fun, although there seem to be some dodgy driving sections that look shite.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Freddyshouse server ?

Take us back to the nineties \o/

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Pipe bombs and tripwires :)

Pwwwwwwwwwwease let it still have the shrinkray :D

Now that quite a few have enjoyed their snide comments, kind of puts them on the backfoot if the game is decent. I'm not expecting a genre-busting experience, just something that will be fun.

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
im not been snide honeslty i loved the original it was fantastic but the game has been in development for what over 12 years now? thats an awful lot of technological advances in the games industry i cant help feeling its going to feel dated and ironically rushed.

would like to be wrong but i dont think i will be any game thats taken over 5 years to develop with the possible exception of mmo's is usually a big flop

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
Pipe bombs and tripwires :)

Pwwwwwwwwwwease let it still have the shrinkray :D

Now that quite a few have enjoyed their snide comments, kind of puts them on the backfoot if the game is decent. I'm not expecting a genre-busting experience, just something that will be fun.
You're in luck, the shrink ray is in the reveal trailer :p

Ormorof

FH is my second home
im not been snide honeslty i loved the original it was fantastic but the game has been in development for what over 12 years now? thats an awful lot of technological advances in the games industry i cant help feeling its going to feel dated and ironically rushed.

would like to be wrong but i dont think i will be any game thats taken over 5 years to develop with the possible exception of mmo's is usually a big flop

i thought the reason they kept delaying it was to keep up with new tech advances?

and didnt they develop Prey in the meantime? (which while it had some flaws, was kinda awesome :p )

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Yeah it's the Remedy syndrome of "New tech - upgrade - take too long - new tech". Happened with first max payne, which was taken apart and basically redone after some major graphics improvement.

There's a limit in which timeframe you have to put a game out with the tech you got, or it becomes outdated.

And with the absolutely massive expectation from the title, it's impossible to make it "as good as should". So it got delayed and delayed, but now it's coming out and if they hit it, they'll knock it out of the park.

About knowing "it's gonna be sh*t", none of us do and it's a possibility, but it looks like it could break the endless boring cycle of FPS monotony, where breaking walls are a "cool new thing", smoke is abundant and gritty realism are done to death.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
I imagine people are expecting too much from this game, just cause it's been in 'development' for 12 years, doesn't mean it's going to be a beacon of perfection, I mean, the original Duke's were hardly that. Just take it for what it is, an over the top shooter with an over the top bad ass as lead.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
The problem is that gaming itself has moved on; is there a market for that kind of FPS any more?

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
Heh I took pretty much exactly what you said out of my post Gaffer. I definately reckon there is, people are tired of the pseudo realistic games, with their regenerating health and hiding behind boxes for most the game. Almost seems like now we're at a stage where we can create realistic games, people want to go back to basics of simply running around blowing shit up.

With the likes of this, Bulletstorm, Vanquish etc, I reckon these kind of games are definately making a comeback.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
The problem is that gaming itself has moved on; is there a market for that kind of FPS any more?

The problem is that gaming has moved on to a bad place where these kind of games are shunned.

Even GTA, wacky fun game to start with, went too much into the realistic bullcrap.

Wouldn't mind some games being realistic, if it fits, ut when you get almost every title in a gray/brown tone realism simulator where every press of the wasd feels like you're anally intruded by an emu, it becomes a bit of a bore.

These kind of titles are good for two things;

Give the immarute stuff we grew up on, to a new patch of possible game-nerds.

Remind us that the saying is -fun- and games for a reason.

Chilly

Balls of steel
If a new serious sam came out tomorrow, I'd pay 40 quid for it no worries. Im hoping DNF will be similarly fun.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Heh I took pretty much exactly what you said out of my post Gaffer. I definately reckon there is, people are tired of the pseudo realistic games, with their regenerating health and hiding behind boxes for most the game. Almost seems like now we're at a stage where we can create realistic games, people want to go back to basics of simply running around blowing shit up.

With the likes of this, Bulletstorm, Vanquish etc, I reckon these kind of games are definately making a comeback.

Problem is, the sales figures don't really back that up.

The problem is that gaming has moved on to a bad place where these kind of games are shunned.

Even GTA, wacky fun game to start with, went too much into the realistic bullcrap.

Wouldn't mind some games being realistic, if it fits, ut when you get almost every title in a gray/brown tone realism simulator where every press of the wasd feels like you're anally intruded by an emu, it becomes a bit of a bore.

These kind of titles are good for two things;

Give the immarute stuff we grew up on, to a new patch of possible game-nerds.

Remind us that the saying is -fun- and games for a reason.

I don't actually disagree with you at all, but people around here are kind of old-skool when it comes to games, we no longer reflect the market.

If a new serious sam came out tomorrow, I'd pay 40 quid for it no worries. Im hoping DNF will be similarly fun.

Serious Sam is the perfect example of what I'm talking about; it was really the spiritual successor to DN, and it wasn't a sales success. And that was 7-8 years ago; its only gotten worse since then.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Question, what kind of bandwidth is needed to run a decent FPS server these days? Was thinking of upgrading to a business package on BT Infinity soon, quite a few people in my area are getting 30mbit download and if I stump up an extra £2 a month I can move from 2mbit upload to 10mbit instead. Anyone know what kind of player numbers a connection like that could handle?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I don't actually disagree with you at all, but people around here are kind of old-skool when it comes to games, we no longer reflect the market.

True, have to see how well the new generation gets involved in the silly-immature stuff.

Hell, been so long that noone remembers the king anymore :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom