Question Dual/Triple Channel RAM Question

opticle

Part of the furniture
Probably a pretty schoolboy question..

I've got two sticks of RAM in dual channel.. I want to increase how much RAM I have, is it possible to have 3 sticks in triple channel and 2 in dual channel at the same time? Or is that a silly idea?

I have this mobo: Asus X58 Sabertooth TUF Intel X58 (Socket 1366) DDR3 Motherboard.

Alternatively, is triple channel really worth it? Should I just get another 2 sticks and put in another dual channel pair ?

This is mainly for gaming purposes. I tried a few Google searches, but couldn't find anything jumping out at me that answered the question.

Cheers :)

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I would replace it all with triple-channel tbh, your motherboard supports it. I don't know how much performance increase you will see but it's made for triple so that's what I would put in it.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Triple channel offers minimal real world performance gains over dual channel.

As to your question - read the manual, it will tell you exactly what ram configurations are allowed, but I would run 2+2 or 3+3, 3+2 ehhhhhhhhh.

opticle

Part of the furniture
Thought as much :)

I hate waste but the memory is now not worth very much so I suppose buying new stuff isn't too big a deal.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Memory is cheap as chips atm so get the best around. I have 16gb of ripjaw memory which is excellent, yes I know 16gb is overkill but at the price I thought what the hell. Was about £35 for 8gb at the time.

Kalph

Fledgling Freddie
I have the same motherboard with an intel core i7 960 quad core 3.2. 2 GTX 560 super clocked, 12 gb ddr3 pc 12800 ram (corsair x3), corsair h70 cpu liquid cooling, 750 Gb hdd and 250 gb SSD (to come) and I'm running 3 20in flat screen LCD monitors. Works awesome! That motherboard is bomb. Use triple channel man its great. I can dual log daoc, youtube, download music and have several webpages up man and never make my computer hickup at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom