Help Dual Monitor Setup

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
At my new job, we work off laptops attached to docking stations, with 2 monitors attached to the docking station, either 1 DVI and 1 VGA, or 2 DVI.

My 2 monitors arrived today and they don't have DVI ports, just VGA and HDMI. I have 1 x VGA port on the docking station (as well as one on the laptop), 2 x DVI-D, and 2 x Display Ports. It's this model http://www.amazon.co.uk/Advanced-Re...ef=pd_sim_sbs_computers_3/279-8180617-2046528

I'm lead to believe that as the connectors on the docking port are DVI-D, they wont work with a DVI to VGA adaptor as they can't produce an analog signal. Is this true?

If this is true, is there any way to run both of the monitors on VGA with 1 cable plugged into the docking station and 1 plugged in to the laptop?

Syri

FH is my second home
If the monitors have hdmi sockets, get some dvi to hdmi adaptors. Should be able to get hold of one easily enough, and should be a better quality picture than using vga, though whether it's noticable or not depends on the quality of the monitor and how good your eyes are, but seeing as it's digital to digital, as opposed to digital to analogue to digital (presuming the monitors are LCDs) it should be the best bet I would expect.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
You can get Display Port adapters to VGA or HDMI as well. Use a Display Port from the Port Replicator to second display on my desk. It works fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom