Dual boot xp and win2k?

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
... am I right in thinking just a case of booting from XP install CD, choosing to install in a different partition from my win2k installation, and it does the rest?

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I've just done it with vista and xp, Vista detected the XP install and then automatically gave the option for dual boot on startup. Not sure if XP does the same though.

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
egads, why? o0

Errr.. you mean why still on 2k, or why xp (yeah, I know :() or why not Vista????

Ta Ch3t BTW - I'm expecting xp would do the same (as have pretty much all previous O/S ), just double checking...

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I don't understand dual-booting two Windozen really mate. Unless you've got such an old app somewhere that requires 2k? I mean, legacy reduction and all that. Vista certainly is not the holiest of holies, and if you have a lighter spec machine you can avoid it with XP, but that all aside I don't see your need for a dualboot.

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Ahhh okie dokie... I have an inbuilt deeper than deep suspicion about XP being a bloated piece of shite, but don't really want to upgrade everything to Vista, so I am happy running almost everything on 2k for now, but I am tempted to take a peek at Warhammer and that requires XP or later, that's all...

TdC

tbh for pleasure of use I'm almost inclined to say XP. Vista is starting to piss me off lol

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
tbh for pleasure of use I'm almost inclined to say XP. Vista is starting to piss me off lol

2k all the way, baby! :twak::fluffle::england:

Ypnos

Fledgling Freddie
Ahhh okie dokie... I have an inbuilt deeper than deep suspicion about XP being a bloated piece of shite, but don't really want to upgrade everything to Vista, so I am happy running almost everything on 2k for now, but I am tempted to take a peek at Warhammer and that requires XP or later, that's all...

Give nLite a whirl. You can slim XP down to 100MB if you really want to :)

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Hmmm, I just installed vista after resisting for this long. I really do not understand where everyone is coming from. It installed without a hitch and runs fine. I liked XP, but vista simply seems to build on it, and looks nicer too. Really wasn't much of a pain disabling all the "nanny" modes it starts with.

GReaper

Part of the furniture
C'mon Jup, I know quite a lot of people dislike Vista, but I seriously think it's time for you to upgrade from win2k to XP!

Genedril

Part of the furniture
When I had a 2k / XP box the only way I could get it to boot happily was Partition Magic - not sure what that costs these days though.

Theoretically you should be able to specify a different partition & you should get the OS choice on boot. I never got it to work though :(. There was much conversation about install order & all sorts back then. Bear in mind this was pre-XP SP1 so it could have changed.

{edit} BTW 2k was the dogs tbh, only reason I ever wanted to run XP was for games (Hitman wouldn't run on 2K).

Genedril

Part of the furniture
Can no longer eidt my post :(.

Out of interest I just looked up good old PM & it's now owned by Symantec. This means it's almost certainly become bloatware of the highest order...

See if you can pick up a cheap older copy (v6 or 7) from where ever it is people go to find cheap old software.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber

too right, h ad it intalled since Saturday and I have come to the conclusion that it is utter shit. So glad I didnt actually pay for it :p

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Vista is awesome, took 9 minute to fully install and I've not had any problems *touch wood*

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
C'mon Jup, I know quite a lot of people dislike Vista, but I seriously think it's time for you to upgrade from win2k to XP!

I really reall don't like XP though :(

Helme

Resident Freddy
It's just as fast as 2k, probably as stable and more secure - there's no real reason not to upgrade tbh.

Bob007

Prince Among Men
I really reall don't like XP though :(

Get Pro, strip out all the crap. Change the desktop and menu's to classic and there you go. look and feel of windows 2000 but in a envolope that will run XP+ stuff.

Also if you go all out you can even change to boot screen to win 2k one and it looks like 2k when it boots up. Switch login screen to classic version to.

Only reminder then would be the start menu saying "microspft windows XP pro" up the side instead of "micro..." you get the idea. Could prob edit/mod that somewhere to (google rocks).

XP was built on nt4/2000 idea's and code. So its not hard to get that classic look and feel of win 2000 and get the errr...... (couldn't thing of a reason off hand)(time passes, makes and drinks Tea)(ohh wait) use of XP games like Warhammer (hehehe /cry)

Also XP does have some nice stuff. Fast user switching for large familys rocks. Driver roll back for large familys with menber who like to screw around with the system even when you tell them not to. Remote desktop so you can invite strangers to look at your desktop and errr look.

And finaly and most importantly. XP is now at that point where useing over Windows Vista is geeky and cool. So you can keep the retro classic look and feel, use the latest gizmo's, games and gadgets and still get that "f*** you, its old and great" superiority feeling you get over newer OS users. Tho it won't be as good as win 2000 feeling you get now for at least another year.

Signed
Bob
(Windows 2000 fan that now uses XP pro with a look and fell of windows 2000)
;)

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Cheers Bob - I guess I know you are right, but my view is clouded by this corporation where I work holding a gun to my head and forcing me to use XP Pro with more fucking bloated remote sysadmin and anti virus shite than you would believe.... I'll set it up dual booting for a while and play about a bit with nlite etc...

... all I need now is a copy of XP ;)

soze

I am a FH squatter
I'm running Server 2k8 as my work OS now i have it looking good like Vista but it uses less ram and so far it seems to be ok not sure if its Placebo effect though.

But i think the only rule to follow with dual/tri booting is install the os in age order then each newer OS will be ok to make the boot record.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
XP Pro with Classic Theme tbfh.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
To add to the voices of change Jup, I was a win2k user for a long long time. I never had a problem getting it to run the latest games or finding drivers. The only reason I switched to XP eventually was because I was building a new PC and thought I may as well give it a shot. Never looked back, I adopted late, so I missed all the issues and it was perfect timing with MS stopping support of win2k.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Dual booting is for steers and queers. Real men use VMWare.

TdC

yes! finally someone agrees with ME :D

Helme

Resident Freddy
Was I the onlyone who didn't have a problem with ME? :p

It actually increased my old AMD k6's performance by a fuckload in games :D

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Was I the onlyone who didn't have a problem with ME? :p

It actually increased my old AMD k6's performance by a fuckload in games :D

The old AMD K62 processors absolutely kicked arse, as I remember it :)

Should have a copy of Vista 64 bit dropping on the doormat at home today... I'll give that a whirl :)

razeredge

One of Freddy's beloved
Main thing to remember is to install the most recent OS last, if you install older versions after a newer version, it can screw up your boot file

Sar

Part of the furniture
Main thing to remember is to install the most recent OS last, if you install older versions after a newer version, it can screw up your boot file

Yep, and never EVER try to install XP after Vista. It will screw up royally and you'll lose your Vista installation (well, not without a shitload of blood, sweat & tears to get it back).

XP first, then Vista.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom