Help Dual Boot Win 7

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
I have decided to give Win 7 a try, as my rather old machine, which wouldn't run Vista will probably give it a good go.

I have 2 500Gb HDDs one has XP Pro and most of my programs on, the other has a lot of photos and various other files mostly. It is designated D: and has 184Gb free (should be plenty).

Do I need to do anything fancy at all to install Win 7? Create any partitions? Will my XP install be at any risk at all?

Once installed do I have to install my apps twice to run them, or just search for .exe's?

Excuse my ignorance but this is the first time I've contemplated anything like this.

Many thanks

RB

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
Pay a visit to:
Windows 7 Release Candidate Customer Preview Program
Download the Windows 7 RC ISO to your desktop. Make sure you pick up your free key for it as well (I've picked up 8 keys now, all still valid).

This page outlines the procedure very well.
Lifehacker - How to Dual Boot Windows 7 with XP or Vista - How To

As long as you make sure of the partition that you create, it should install cleanly and setup your boot options for you. The only risk to your XP installation is if you mistakenly overwrite it with Win7... but you'll be making double and triple sure about that, won't you? :)

Applications... you'll need to probably reinstall fresh copies in Win7 because of the registry settings that go along with them. Something simple like uTorrent can just have a shortcut set to it, but something like MS Office will need a fresh install on the Win7 installation. What I did was install Steam onto my Win7 installation then point it to the data files on my other partition. Bingo... all my Steam games in both Vista and Win7. Unless you point it to the save game files as well, you'll have to set the options for each game again.
When you switch back to your old OS, it shouldn't be affected.

Remember that the current RC version of Win7 has a timebomb in it. Beginning on March 1, 2010, the operating system will begin shutting down every two hours and totally stop as of Jun 1 2010.

Another thing to bear in mind is that MS are offering a free upgrade to Windows 7 with any PC bought between now and January 2010.
More on the Windows 7 upgrade program | Beyond Binary - CNET News
If you're looking to buy a PC, this certainly makes the deal sweeter.

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
Thanks for the excellent answer Zenith. I didn't make myself completely clear in my question though.

Will it be possible to install Win 7 on my second drive, and not have to muck around with partitioning my C: drive? This seems a safer, and easier route.

Thanks

RB

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
The answer is yes you can.
My problem is that I don't have a computer with XP on it any more so I'm using the same steps in Vista. HOPEFULLY they're similar for XP. :)

If you go to:
Start > Run > diskmgmt.msc

You should see your hard drives listed as Disk 0, Disk 1, etc.
Right click on the partition for your D: drive, and select "Shrink Volume".
After checking the diskspace, you should have a box with "Enter the amount to shrink in MB".
If for example you want to make 40GB of space for a new partition, enter 40960 (that's 40 * 1024).
All that does is claw back 40GB of space from the 184GB you have free.
Once you've got your free space set aside, close XP and run your Win7 install disk.

Now when you run the Win7 installation disk, you need to set your language and country and click "Next".
Click on "Install Now".
Tick the "I accept the licence terms" checkbox and click "Next".
Now the important step.... select "Custom (advanced)".
You should see your hard drives listed.
Click on "Drive options (advanced)"
You should select "Drive 1 Unallocated Space" and click on "New".
The text box should be auto-filled with the MB of your free space.
Click on "Accept".
If you get another popup about additional partitions, click "Ok".

Let the installation run itself, and it will ask to restart your machine. Let it do so, but take out your installation disk. You shouldn't need it any more.

In your case, you should get a black screen with white text giving you the option of booting WinXP or Win7. Ummm.... Win7 by any chance? :)

Win7 should finish it's installation and give you a box asking for a username. Type one in, and then type in your preferred computer name underneath and click "Next".
Now Win7 will ask for a password. Enter your password twice, and then a p/w hint. Click "Next".
Now it will ask for your product key. You did get one from MS earlier on didn't you? :)

Most of it is pretty self-explanatory from this point on.
Have fun! :cheers:

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH
I think I am going to try this because vista is buggy as hell.

One question. Will the windows 7 os be able to read my documents from the Vista install ? If it can the migration will be a lot easier. Thanks.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Yes it'll read them straight off the bat. The file structure between 7 and Vista is identical.

Thumbs up for Zenith's answer there.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
I upgraded to Windows 7 on one of my machines straight from Vista. I've had zero problems so far and wouldn't even consider going back.

Only minor issue is with McAfee as Win7 complains about the format in which the antivirus reports but otherwise it runs just fine.

Worth noting I run with all the frills and features turned off as for me the OS just provides access to the features I want to run, rather than being a goal in itself.

Only thing to watch out for during the upgrade is that Windows 7 moves your documents into Libraries. I am finding this really useful, but at first it caused me a little confusion. I really like the library feature now.

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
Another further problem is that I have an old but much loved sound card that will not work with Win 7.

My plan is to build myself a new PC at some point between the full retail launch and when the nag screen start, the new PC won't use the sound card, sadly.

In the mean time my only option is to plug a second set of speakers into the on board sound I guess.

Can I just confirm then that I need a completely blank partition to install into. Whether I use C: or D: I will still need to create a new partition, which means a 3rd party program as XP doesn't allow this in the same way as Vista. (Sorry Zenith, after that super answer too)

RB

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
Hi,

The soundcard is this one. I really like the breakout box, and the fact that I have the headphone and mic controls close to hand.

The most recent XP driver is about 2005 so I really doubt that there is a Vista driver, but I would be a very happy person if there was a way to get it going. I've no doubt I could probably get better sound out of something newer, but the convenience, and perfectly good enough sound quality will mean that I will miss it when my next PC materializes.

RB

edit. Having said all that a bit of searching has thrown this up. Will that work with Win 7? Is it really what it looks like? (Fingers Crossed)

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
edit. Having said all that a bit of searching has thrown this up. Will that work with Win 7? Is it really what it looks like? (Fingers Crossed)

Thanks Chet, I didn't mess up the link so much as never pasted it in at all. D'oh. Should work now :)

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH
Well....installed 7 on a new partitition - it all looks nice and all my old files are there...apart from the windows mail being missing - so I thought I'd migrate all of the messages and settings to OE - but what a pain in the arse - I can't figure out how!! and if I dont move over all the old stuff eg. old messages, my wilfe won't want to use 7 :(

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
Well I found this thread, and it seems that there is at last a Vista driver for my soundcard, though only in 32-bit guise. What are the chances that it'll work with Win 7?

RB

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH

I had a wee google myself. I managed to import the old mails into windows live mail. It seems you can install this software by typing "essentials" into start>search. An explorer window comes up inviting you to install live mail, messnger, photo gallery and a few other things left out of windows 7. Looks ok. I didn't manage to install the old email accounts yet, but I'm still working on it. :m00:

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
That is great news Zenith, I have now successfully created a 20Gb partition to install my Win 7 onto, and will hopefully be able to use the sound card too.

I'll probably wait till Thursday to do the install as it's my day off.

Thanks for all the help, and Kryt too :) I'll probably be back then when it all goes tits up.

RB

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I had a wee google myself. I managed to import the old mails into windows live mail. It seems you can install this software by typing "essentials" into start>search. An explorer window comes up inviting you to install live mail, messnger, photo gallery and a few other things left out of windows 7. Looks ok. I didn't manage to install the old email accounts yet, but I'm still working on it. :m00:

iirc you just need to find the folder where windows keeps the mail, think one of those google links tells you for xp and vista, and then copy them to where win7 keeps them.

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
So I installed Win 7. It was a pretty smooth install, and it went OK and all the stuff on my PC is still there. For me this is some kind of record.

However, two things.

Firstly the sound card drivers don't work. They installed with no apparent problem, but the card simply doesn't work, and the device manager tells me that it is incompatible. The on board sound isn't great either.

The other thing is the dual booting, it doesn't really.

When I turn on the PC it just boots to XP. If I have the Win 7 CD in the drive it boots that. When I go back to XP I get the 'last time xp didn't start properly, what do you want to do about it?' screen. Starting normally works, but it is a bit odd.

For these reasons I haven't played with it much, but did load up Firefox and Thunderbird which both work fine.

With regard to the e-mail I found that Mozbackup worked really well, just did a full back up in XP and then loaded the program into 7 and restored there. Easiest way by far of transferring all account settings and e-mails to the new OS.

Also is there a way to change the size of the desktop icons? They are really big and the resize slider is already set to smallest.

RB

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
Thanks Chet, not working yet, but I'm still playing with it.

RB

Dr_Weasel

One of Freddy's beloved
I was tempted to try Win 7 on my new PC that Im building with the hope that if its any good Ill purchase it and chuck the new key in.

From the FAQ though, you wont be able to go go from the RC to the Final version without a reinstall

Can I upgrade from the RC to the final version of Windows 7?

When you install the final version of Windows 7, you'll need to do a clean installation. So plan on backing up your data then reinstalling your applications and restoring your data.

I dont think I can be bothered to reinstall everything again in a few months so Ill just stick with Vista x64. Its done me fine for the last couple of years with no issues.

Dr_Weasel

One of Freddy's beloved
Im building my new one myself so don't have a free upgrade.

And after 8 months I'm really, really not going to want to reinstall everything again. By that time Ive usually just about got everything just where I want it. On average I usually end up reinstalling about once every 2 years.

And its not really a "nag", Its a reboot every two hours. That pretty much makes the machine unusable for me.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Pretty sure there is a files and settings transfer wizard on win7 that would let you back that stuff up to a partition, reinstall win7 final, and restore your files.

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH
For me, moving emails, faves and email accounts was a piece of cake - and the vista files are easily visible in windows 7 - the pain is the arse is that I made the win7 partition too small and its a sod to resize it using the included disk management software. So I couldn't move it all into the win 7 My Documents. Mind I didn't have too many apps to move over.

I didnt want to use the files and settings wizzard - I wanted to go in fresh with win 7, because franky, I believe Vista to be cursed and I didn't want to infect win 7 with bad vista voodoo. Might be ok for win 7 to win 7, though.

Incidentally (and this impressed me), vista has a boot editor appication, so if you want to avoid the option of both OSs at startup, I recon you could make a backup of the boot file (in case you change your mind), hide it, then just disable vista for option free booting. The app is really easy to use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom