Drivers and Freeware

Kryten

Old Cow.
Aye I know, I just would have imagined they'd have added it themselves ;)

Bob007

Prince Among Men
Funny the things you use all the time and never consider it deserves a place here.

Well Dependency Walker is one. It will help you diagnose software thats not playing proper. Click the link, read the speel, deffo 1 for the pen drive.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Been pointed towards a nifty bit of kit today, via the joys of SourceForge - DVDFlick, DVD authoring program: DVD Flick
Tis very impressive, simple but works.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
thought I'd bring your attention to this little proggy I just installed. Dislike Vista's (or other doze's) start menu. there's a somewhat more advanced / nicer / friendlier one that can be had here for free: Vista Start Menu – Convenient alternative to Start menu

just installed it and up to now I am quite pleased :)

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Pah, Vistas start menu is fantastic if you're a good typist. Windows key, then the first few letters of what you're after, bish bash, wollop. Far quicker than any other method.

TdC

well, there was a thing I wanted from it that I couldn't manage: I have different pictures folders, and I wanted them in the same place as the standard link to "My Pictures" or whatever it's called. For the life of me I couldn't manage to get Vista to do that :/ if you have a tip, I'd be glad to revert. Until then, this proggy does me fine :)

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Well a couple of ways you could sort that is to pin a shortcut to the start menu for them (so they'd appear below your IE/Email links). Alternatively, if the several photo folders are all within one folder, you could set the Pictures folder to that location, and make it expandable from the start menu options. That way when you mouse over it, you'll get an explorer tree.

But meh, if that program does what you need more power too ya. :)

Kryten

Old Cow.
Come across this on another forum and was very impressed.

If you use wireless, and you're scouting around for nearby networks, and perhaps have used Netstumbler previously, this little app is along the same lines but more visual with just as much information.

inSSider : inSSIDer | MetaGeek

inssider.png

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Whilst the app is very pretty, it blocks what must be an awesome desktop image...

Kryten

Old Cow.
Ah, I apologise for that.

So, to make up for that small error:

desktop.png

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
As I suspected, awesome.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Kryten what are you using to have all your programs at the top of the screen displayed like that?

Kryten

Old Cow.
thats stardock's Objectdock (free version), think the full thing is only a tenner or something daft. Normally have it self-hiding though.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
thats stardock's Objectdock (free version), think the full thing is only a tenner or something daft. Normally have it self-hiding though.

How did you get it to install on windows 7?
The one I downloaded wont allow me to install it...

:(

Kryten

Old Cow.
erm, just installed. Might have had to run the setup in compatibility mode for Vista but worked fine doing that.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
dunno if its my shitty atom box or not but libreoffice rapes the mem much less than open office did

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
It's just better, for now. I'm sure either Oracle will either come along and steal all the changes and backport them into Openoffice in a "aren't we great" style or will just kill it on the vine.

TdC

I'm thinking they will kill it. Big O doesn't really believe in doing things for free :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom