Driven By Radar

katt!

Fledgling Freddie
konah, let me guess.. it was a cabalist radar-driving you

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Tay said:
Or is it Cheats > Mythic ??

I dont want this to become another game ruined by cheats.

Maybe I'll just wait for EQ2 to go mainstream and hope that the PvE side doesnt bore and that the cheating that will inevitably happen does not affect me. At least they wont be killing me due to thier 1337 radar skillz.

As for warning shots take a chunk of RP's away, take the damned gains away from the cheats with that 1 day ban. Why have a cheat ammnesty? (Ok I know the answer to that, its starts with a "M" has an "O" and closely linked to the other letters "NEY" in it)

This is players saying they've not seen radaring - not Mythic, maybe it was just some unobservant players :) (though one of them was RR11)

why the 1 day warning shot?
Other than the obvious "losing a few hundred accounts is bad business" - fighting cheats is probably at least 50% about perception - if people think that radar is rife they're far more likely to get it themselves to "even the score" or possibly even just to "spy on the enemy".

the 1 day ban said to a few hundred people that "we can find you..." and some of them have probably said to their friends "hrm maybe installing that radar would be a bad idea"

Maybe it was also a test of the system? they weren't 100% sure it wouldn't ever catch anyone innocent...

Just being devils advocate here btw - I'd have gone for the "hang them all" ;) but then again I'm not in charge of Mythic's finances.

stubbe

Fledgling Freddie
Best way to counter the radar is not to counter the program itself (if that is even possible) but to cut the ammount of use you can get from it. A very positive step has already been taken to minimize the gain of using radar, coupled with the improved detection system I believe Mythic have done a pretty decent job in reducing the "risk vs gain"-situation for radarusers.

Tootz

Fledgling Freddie
stubbe said:
Best way to counter the radar is not to counter the program itself (if that is even possible) but to cut the ammount of use you can get from it. A very positive step has already been taken to minimize the gain of using radar, coupled with the improved detection system I believe Mythic have done a pretty decent job in reducing the "risk vs gain"-situation for radarusers.

Bang on the mark. If you can't find a way to disable it, then make its use pointless by giving everyone the same kind of ability. Though I wonder if they actually came up with the idea for the battle map thing in NF from these radar programs ;)

Maoni

Fledgling Freddie
I wish the good old Doom cheat would work in Daoc...
Type "Idkfa" and you get all weapons and keys =P

(perhaps not...)

Karnat

Fledgling Freddie
Tootz said:
Bang on the mark. If you can't find a way to disable it, then make its use pointless by giving everyone the same kind of ability. Though I wonder if they actually came up with the idea for the battle map thing in NF from these radar programs ;)

Actually its really not a great idea as it will most likely enhance the ZZZzzzzzzerging...

Tay

Grumpy old fecker
Karnat said:
Actually its really not a great idea as it will most likely enhance the ZZZzzzzzzerging...
And thats what NF is all about.

FG vs FG can go Camlann.

Tay

Grumpy old fecker
Icebreaker said:
http://www.camelotherald.com/more/1617.shtml

nihohohoho

50 ppl banned

500 ppl seven days suspended
You missed this bit..

--------------------------
We suspended more than 500 people for seven days, who were not caught in the first wave - but perhaps made the mistake of thinking that the first wave of suspensions was an attempt at “humor.”

Perhaps Mythics effort should contain real bans and not a slap on the wrists, they simply dont want to lose out to EQ2..

DAOC's fate is pretty much sealed, they wont tell you who they are, name a shame or I for one will think nothing is being done about it.

Jaapi

Fledgling Freddie
Tay said:
You missed this bit..

We suspended more than 500 people for seven days, who were not caught in the first wave - but perhaps made the mistake of thinking that the first wave of suspensions was an attempt at “humor.”
You missed this bit.

The third stage of anti-hacker sweeps has begun. Please keep an eye on your friendly neighborhood Herald for the results of the next wave, which will consist primarily of bannings.

gia

Fledgling Freddie
Tootz said:
They copied both the map idea, the insta teleport system and the linked keeps straight from planetside. You guys thought mythic ever had any new ideas? :)

Reignfire

One of Freddy's beloved
MesS° said:
Sorry just found it rather ridiculus that someone would use Brommix as an exsample on radar use...

Read again please what I am stating:

There was a Thread Brommix made about Soul Reavers.

I have been in Odins as my Ranger and its always odd when I See u Brommix Yes U seems to make U-turns directly for me after going past me on the left hill just past HMG.

I do not accuse u or others doing 'odd' things when shit like this happens of using radar.

As Amadon said:

reading comprehension is your friend

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
tay - read the other thread, they weren't making up those bans ;)

50 accounts that were caught before and "warned" are now banned.

An unnamed number of others that were done for other things before are now banned.

500 accounts that weren't caught before were given a 7 day suspension.

Now 500 accounts is quite a lot of income to just permaban at a whim - however it's quite enough to scare the shite out of anyone who'd even think of using radar.

Especially after the paid-for radar programmer apparently told people he'd got around the cheat detection ;) then they get a 7 day suspension - that's not gonna help what little credibility someone who writes cheat programs has.

I hope that says to people: don't fecking radar - you will get caught.

Merrilow

Fledgling Freddie
gia said:
They copied both the map idea, the insta teleport system and the linked keeps straight from planetside. You guys thought mythic ever had any new ideas? :)
DAoC ;)

MesS°

One of Freddy's beloved
[/QUOTE]Hi Reignfire,
I am truely sorr QUOTE]y for any heartbreakes i might have caused you with my post... I missunderstod[/QUOTE your intensions... Can you forgive me?
[/QUOE]

Edit: Spolling problams

Tay

Grumpy old fecker
Jaapi said:
You missed this bit.

The third stage of anti-hacker sweeps has begun. Please keep an eye on your friendly neighborhood Herald for the results of the next wave, which will consist primarily of bannings.
Primarily?

wtf Primarily?

Just ban the cheating twats now.

All I hear is "Just one more warning, just one more, just one more"

This is crying wolf to its extremes, ban the cheating twats the lot of them.

I also suspect mythic has the man power to detect this people, although I suspect its a lot more man power intensive than they state, GOA on the other hand.........................

Tay

Grumpy old fecker
Flimgoblin said:
tay - read the other thread, they weren't making up those bans ;)

50 accounts that were caught before and "warned" are now banned.

An unnamed number of others that were done for other things before are now banned.

500 accounts that weren't caught before were given a 7 day suspension.

Now 500 accounts is quite a lot of income to just permaban at a whim - however it's quite enough to scare the shite out of anyone who'd even think of using radar.

Especially after the paid-for radar programmer apparently told people he'd got around the cheat detection ;) then they get a 7 day suspension - that's not gonna help what little credibility someone who writes cheat programs has.

I hope that says to people: don't fecking radar - you will get caught.
I hear what your saying, but money talks, Mythic will nto off its own head to spite its nose....I'll wait and see what the next few months bring, I suspect radar will grown in intensity until NF, that itself maybe to much for a lot of us.

I'm not sure sure perma banning is exactly a whim, I would have thought that they had the constitution to ban cheats full stop it would be a serious matter, I just see money creeping into it again..

Jaapi

Fledgling Freddie
Tay said:
All I hear is "Just one more warning, just one more, just one more"
Then i suggest you actually read what the text tries to spell out to you. You'd be amazed what the letters spell out when combined together in a certain way.

There has been banning and will be bannings in the future. If banning is "just a warning" to you, what is your suggestion then?

Tay

Grumpy old fecker
Jaapi said:
Then i suggest you actually read what the text tries to spell out to you. You'd be amazed what the letters spell out when combined together in a certain way.

There has been banning and will be bannings in the future. If banning is "just a warning" to you, what is your suggestion then?
Did you actually read the herald post?

You know, the one thats being partly quoted?

How many of those people will never return to DAOC again, the number 500 sounds great but what does it mean? 500 people have been accused of cheating (I say accused becasue as with most things in life there are few guarantees, I cant wait for the first person to get wrongly accused).

Nobody but mythic know who they are, you nd I will never know that X person was a cheating twat, I applaude the fight to stop cheats but I want it to go further, Name and Shame them.

When it comes to cheats I wont give a second chance.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
50 got nuked... byebye gone forever.

500 got their last warning - they get caught for anything again they're out.

Belomar

Part of the furniture
katt! said:
konah, let me guess.. it was a cabalist radar-driving you
What is this, I leave the game and Cabalists are already getting a bad name! :(

Pin

One of Freddy's beloved
Belomar said:
What is this, I leave the game and Cabalists are already getting a bad name! :(
When did Cabalists ever have a good name? :eek6:

fiontan

Fledgling Freddie
I think you can never be sure that an enemy is using radar, so posting accusations about it is not very nice. But as Konah says, it is very possible to see when the leader of your group is using it. In all the time in daoc and with all the people I played with, I was only sure of one person, he was a hib and his name started with a letter... isn't that nice

Arnor

Fledgling Freddie
Tay said:
Did you actually read the herald post?

You know, the one thats being partly quoted?

How many of those people will never return to DAOC again, the number 500 sounds great but what does it mean? 500 people have been accused of cheating (I say accused becasue as with most things in life there are few guarantees, I cant wait for the first person to get wrongly accused).

Nobody but mythic know who they are, you nd I will never know that X person was a cheating twat, I applaude the fight to stop cheats but I want it to go further, Name and Shame them.

When it comes to cheats I wont give a second chance.

im with tay on this one,
"of the ppl who were given warnings first round or whatever, 50 got banned" (approximate quite :p )

so hokeeyy, you first take all the offenders mid-act and say shoo! that is bad! next time we will ban you. And then you ban the 50 stupidest of those ppl, OMFOGMOGJIOGIHGIH!!!! RADAARR WIL BEE EXTINKT IN TEH YIAR 5023!!!!1

dont give warnings, dont beat around the bush.
Be sure, then ban and geld them, then name&shame.

(and by be sure, i mean gm's log in around suspects, make a fake fg signal (ie, an invisible fg thats sending all the info a normal fg would) and if they go for it twice or sumt, strip their char of all posessions immediately, then use a serverwide broadcast to say "I am a fucking radar haxxor and a lowly ****" or "XXXX has been caughth for using radar, thanks for playing" then let them endure 40mins of unignorable pm spam from the players. kick them from the game, ban their account, and send some russian mobsters to geld them and kick their face in.

THAT is how you deal with radar-users, not some "shoo we might slap your wrist if you play stupid again"

Tay

Grumpy old fecker
fiontan said:
I think you can never be sure that an enemy is using radar, so posting accusations about it is not very nice. But as Konah says, it is very possible to see when the leader of your group is using it. In all the time in daoc and with all the people I played with, I was only sure of one person, he was a hib and his name started with Z (no it wasn't me) :p
Oh I think you can be pretty sure, but its one thing being sure its quite another proving it.

Arnor

Fledgling Freddie
fiontan said:
I think you can never be sure that an enemy is using radar, so posting accusations about it is not very nice. But as Konah says, it is very possible to see when the leader of your group is using it. In all the time in daoc and with all the people I played with, I was only sure of one person, he was a hib and his name started with Z (no it wasn't me) :p

We(the players) can be sureish and can get proofish :p But nothing we find/show will be 100% indictive of one player using radar

The GM's on the other hand, can not only be 100% sure, but they can also get proof that is conclusive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom