Driud? or should I just cave in and go priest.

Kokelimonkelmedisin

Fledgling Freddie
The reason I am asking is that I dont want to burn out in beta so have only
played em to level 20ish, and I know the sensible choice is Priest cause what
I want to play is a support class but when I look at the druid class spell list
it looks like druid has potensial to be a good support class allso I mean with
mark of the wild, entangle, and faerie fire (sp!) and druids can heal allso.

I guess what I am trying ask is if there is going to be any use for druids in
endgame pvp groups or are you better off with just another priest?
Please share your thoughts on this.

PS: on a side note does anyone know how purge works? does it dispell any buffs
you have? or are some exceptions to the rule? (wich) and when it dispells
negative effects on friendly are there some effects it does not work on?

k9awya

Can't get enough of FH
hi, priest is a much superior class

better healer, better damage dealer, more utility

shaman purge will dispel any beneficial "magic" effects from an enemy

priests dispel will do this, and will also remove negative magic effects from friendly targets

Kokelimonkelmedisin

Fledgling Freddie
k9awya said:
hi, priest is a much superior class

better healer, better damage dealer, more utility
shaman purge will dispel any beneficial "magic" effects from an enemy

priests dispel will do this, and will also remove negative magic effects from friendly targets

(thanks for the reply)

Im not worried about the dammage dealing part tho, but I seeme to have read
somewhere that:

priest > druid
priest + priest > druid + druid
but
druid + priest > priest + priest

Dunno how mutch truth there is in this tho or if its meant for pve or pvp or whatever ^^...

Anyhow seemes like I will be going for priest :)

SilverHood

FH is my second home
It all depends on Talents and equipment... if you gear your talents towards healing, you will probably end up healing better than a Shadow geared Priest, though you may have less mana... but from what I gather, mana is very subjective at level 60, those with high end raid equipment can can have over 2000 more mana than those without it.

At the moment, the paladin holy tree is better than the priest one, and from looking at the druid one, their Restoration line is also better than the priest Holy line.

Of course, this may change, but a full holy priest is just a bad choice at the moment.

If you want damage and utility though, priest with a disc / shadow talent gearing are just amazing... can be a slightly inefficient mage, or a healer, whenever you want.
Of course, druids get root, nice buffs and a nice bag of tricks too.

Of course, I'd just pick whatever you enjoy the most, there will be space for both in end game, though as a priest, you are more likely to end up playing wack a mole during instances and raids.

Tharion

Fledgling Freddie
SilverHood said:
Of course, I'd just pick whatever you enjoy the most, there will be space for both in end game, though as a priest, you are more likely to end up playing wack a mole during instances and raids.

Totally agree here.
Both are good at different things, both are fun in different ways.
Neither is better or worse, it all depends on what you like.
But yes as a priest you will prolly get more grps later on in the game.
OR because there are so many you might have trouble how knows :)

Play what you think is fun.

Behmoth

Fledgling Freddie
I'm going to avoide playing a priest at all cost, it seems to be attracting people for all the wrong reasons."wanna play a priest ? you have to be uber be "leet" and just want to be a fotm class" no thanks. prefer if finding a class which may pop up some interesting proerties later on in the game when it has settled down. by the way the druid looks a strong well ballanced class will be trying one out at some time.

Tharion

Fledgling Freddie
Druids are a bit of all.

Bear form = warrior (but not as good for some reasons)
Cat form = rogue (but not as good for some reasons)

Normal form, they can heal, buff, nuke, root, dot...

Druids are very versitile(sp?) maybe not a cookie-cutter class, but crap either.

Hrogar

Fledgling Freddie
From what I've gathered they've got better overall buffs than priests, but then again they can't rezz. Priests are meant to be the primary healer but druids seem to be better off solo and can stand in for other classes if needed.
Just like mentioned above go with whatever you like and you'll be fine - Blizzard has assured there will be a use for all classes ;)

Kind regards

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
Hrogar said:
From what I've gathered they've got better overall buffs than priests, but then again they can't rezz.
Druids can rezz. Quite well in fact; as their rezz works while in combat. Got a relatively short cast time (3 sec vs 10 for priest) and the target ends up with more health and mana (400hp 700 mana for the lowest one, requiring no reagent) than the priest rezzes. Downside? It's got a 30 minute cool down and require reagents for all but the lowest rezz (2200 health, 2800 mana for the top one.).

To summarize:
Druid rezz: 3 sec cast, 30 min cooldown, castable while in combat.
Priest rezz: 10 sec cast, no cooldown, not castable while in combat.

First Druid rezz: 400 hp, 700 mana restored. No reagent.
First Priest rezz: 70 hp, 135 mana restored. No reagent.

Last Druid rezz: 2200 hp, 2800 mana restored. Requires reagent.
Last Priest rezz: 750hp, 1000 mana restored. No reagent.

Tharion

Fledgling Freddie
Hrogar said:
From what I've gathered they've got better overall buffs than priests, but then again they can't rezz.

Not true, my druid friend can rezz, it needs a reagent for the spell.
So he needs to have some Maple Seed reagent in his backpack to rezz ppl.

Tharion

Fledgling Freddie
Whisperess said:
Druids can rezz. Quite well in fact; as their rezz works while in combat. Got a relatively short cast time (3 sec vs 10 for priest) and the target ends up with more health and mana (400hp 700 mana for the lowest one, requiring no reagent) than the priest rezzes. Downside? It's got a 30 minute cool down and require reagents for all but the lowest rezz (2200 health, 2800 mana for the top one.).

To summarize:
Druid rezz: 3 sec cast, 30 min cooldown, castable while in combat.
Priest rezz: 10 sec cast, no cooldown, not castable while in combat.

First Druid rezz: 400 hp, 700 mana restored. No reagent.
First Priest rezz: 70 hp, 135 mana restored. No reagent.

Last Druid rezz: 2200 hp, 2800 mana restored. Requires reagent.
Last Priest rezz: 750hp, 1000 mana restored. No reagent.

Damn you where to fast :D

Tharion

Fledgling Freddie
Whisperess said:
Tssk tssk. I gave you an hour to reply. :m00:

True, but I posted 2 mins after you, and was in the middle of writing and some ppl at work called for me, and then I talked to my druid friend to confirm. So well...

You're better then me.

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
Tharion said:
True, but I posted 2 mins after you, and was in the middle of writing and some ppl at work called for me, and then I talked to my druid friend to confirm. So well...

You're better then me.
it was a joke ;)

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Behmoth said:
I'm going to avoide playing a priest at all cost, it seems to be attracting people for all the wrong reasons."wanna play a priest ? you have to be uber be "leet" and just want to be a fotm class" no thanks.

I am interested - where exactly did anyone ever say you need to be leet to play a priest? And flavour of the month? Haha, you'll be wishing priests were flavour of the month when the game goes retail, cos you'll be needing one at 60, and there aint going to be many around.

Kokelimonkelmedisin

Fledgling Freddie
SilverHood said:
I am interested - where exactly did anyone ever say you need to be leet to play a priest? And flavour of the month? Haha, you'll be wishing priests were flavour of the month when the game goes retail, cos you'll be needing one at 60, and there aint going to be many around.

I agree with what Behmoth has gathered. From reading the priest boards it seemes
like most of them are just after a good solo pvp class or want to play preist
as opposed to mage cause it will be easyer to find exp groups and easyer to get
to level 60 so you can start killing and laugh at the times you had to heal.
Now I could be wrong but thats what I have gathered anyhow. And I dont want
to fend for myselves in a mmorpg realy I want to play a class that makes the
other classes preform better, a support class. So I figgured Im gonna play
either a druid or a priest, would go for druid I think but its kinda hard to decide
when you dont know what role they will have in a pvp group, endgame ^^

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
Kokelimonkelmedisin said:
would go for druid I think but its kinda hard to decide when you dont know what role they will have in a pvp group, endgame ^^
Why does that even matter :/ You can easily enough make both and pick whichever you enjoy most in the end.

Repeat after me:
This. Is. Not. Daoc. 2.

Tesla

Fledgling Freddie
Talking Druids...If you are not bothered whether you go alliance or horde, which is better - NightElf or Tauren?

Still trying to decide myself whether to go priest or druid, will all depend on whether I go horde or alliance. Tried both in the beta and they are both good in their own rights.

Tes.x

Ormorof

FH is my second home
priest is good because:

heals well
gets rez at lvl 10 (correct me if im wrong)
can do damage
gets fear :D

druid is good because:
flexibility- with the various forms it can be a tank or rogueish or in normal mode it can heal
can root
gets rez at lvl 20 (again, feel free to correct me :p )
can do some spell damage

the thing that makes me favour druids though is that they get to shapeshift (its fun) and thats what its all about ;)

personally i think druids will be quite welcome at high end pvp mainly due to the flexibility, for example..

group setup:
warrior
priest
shaman
mage
druid - the druid can act as a tank, since the mage and shaman (which can also act as a healer i believe) can nuke and the priest can heal

setup 2:
warrior
paladin
rogue
druid - the druid can act as a healer to keep the buggers alive
shaman

different situations there, and druid can fill almost any role required in a group! :)

Phusion

Fledgling Freddie
here is a druid PvP movie, made by Quinva, the guy who made those ranger movies in daoc.

http://files.filefront.com/gimped/;3800917;;/fileinfo.html

he plays rather good, just a little bit too much moonfire spam.

back to topic now, druid or priest...

imo druid is a really fun class to play, they can be main healer, tank, nearly everything.
but imo druids are really good healers when specced right, innervate (increases your power regen by 400%, and lets the power regen for 100% in combat, 6 min cooldown) + natures swiftness (makes the next nature heal (roots, heals etc) instant cast) are 2 really uber abilities, only thing a druid lacks is a fast casting speed heal like priests flashheal. But druids are really a alternative to priests as mainhealers. There is also a lot skill needed to play this class, since they can't deal dmg well, druids last ages tho when played right. Also druids have the best buff ingame. and lets not forget to mention the really good morphs, you can't run away from a druid, they just use the travel morph and catch you ;) when a druid is dying he just runs away.

well priests, priest heals are more effective then druid heals, they have faster heals, higher delve heals etc etc, aslo they have a lot more mana. they have fade too which is really nice when you get a lot of aggro. their dmg dealing abilities are better, and they have pbaoe fear.

all in all, it just depends on what you like to play, you liked cleric in daoc, go priest (when looking at the healing abilities), you liked friar in daoc, go druid.

it are 2 totally different classes, play whatever you like more ;)

Phusion

Fledgling Freddie
Ormorof said:
group setup:
warrior
priest
shaman
mage
druid - the druid can act as a tank, since the mage and shaman (which can also act as a healer i believe) can nuke and the priest can heal

shamans aren't healers, they have heals but druids >>>>>>>>>> shamans as healers, shaman are there to purge enemies, interupt them, plant totems, but imo not heal Oo

Abel

Fledgling Freddie
What everyone on this thread seems to forget is that Priest is a CLOTH CASTER, in other words, priests drop fast.

Morever, according to testing priests only slightly outheal druids.

On horde side shaman is more of a fotm class then priest is. Shaman is more comparable to DAoCs smite cleric as a shaman can last, which a priest cannot.

Lastly, mage has also a number of important abilities (like CC) which will make it in great demand for groups. And there are about as few mages as there are priests, so the advantage of playing priest over mage to get easy groups will probably be smaller then anticipated at first.

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
Phusion said:
only thing a druid lacks is a fast casting speed heal like priests flashheal.
You're forgetting Regrowth? (0.5 sec slower than flash heal, but it's a combined heal and heal-over-time)

You're forgetting Rejuvenation, which is instant cast? (granted, it's a heal-over-time and not a real heal - but it's not like it's hard to plan a little ahead).

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Abel said:
What everyone on this thread seems to forget is that Priest is a CLOTH CASTER, in other words, priests drop fast.

Only when fighting mobs, not when fighting other players :D
(Atleast, anything my level died to me before I died to them, and some classes, especially mages, got their butts handed to them on a silver platter).
And Inner Fire gives you the equivelant of leather armor, but it can be dispelled by other priests.

Whenever I played with a druid +20, the druid sometimes ended up healing, sometimes I ended up healing... usually it was a bit of damage and a bit of healing from each of us.
Though one time doing Razorfen Kraul, we both healed, and our 2 warriors just ploughed through the instance with full rage bars.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Phusion said:
shamans aren't healers, they have heals but druids >>>>>>>>>> shamans as healers, shaman are there to purge enemies, interupt them, plant totems, but imo not heal Oo

yeah but they CAN heal no?

and if there's a priest its only a secondary healer anyway (incase the priest gets in trouble :p ) and if worst comes to worst the druid can always just morph out and heal abit too :D

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Ormorof said:
yeah but they CAN heal no?

and if there's a priest its only a secondary healer anyway (incase the priest gets in trouble :p ) and if worst comes to worst the druid can always just morph out and heal abit too :D

Gorr would probably kill me for saying this, but I wouldn't trust my life to a Shaman healer :D

Vantros of the Delerium

Fledgling Freddie
Abel said:
Morever, according to testing priests only slightly outheal druids.

well i think thats bull since my shadow priest could heal for 1k - 1.5k at lvl 35 very often, not seen druid of that lvl manage that.. and we often had a druid in our group. If u get a holy priest you can increase that hugely. The problem is people dont know how to play the class.. if your soloing then nuke if your grouped heal simple.. priest is a versatile class and tbh very powerful..

Sure they cant hit as hard as a mage but they can beat a mage easily with mana burn and ofc silence, meld that with the 1k + healing at lvl 35 and you got yourself a powerful class.

BTW whos testing and where??

Marcus75

Fledgling Freddie
Well I dont care what the mindless whiners say - Im gonna try druid as my main in retail. From what I can see its a very versatile class that can be really good in the hands of a good player so maybe I'll be able to get a kill or two. :D ;)

Since there is enough whine I thought Id mention what I think is good with the class.

Stealth, you can choose your battles and you have nice positional styles that you can use as a starter.

Speed, you can turn into travel form that dosnt get snared when attacked.

You can take a fair amount of damage if needed in bear form.

You can deal damage quite fast in cat form.

You got nice debuffs in Faerie Fire and the bear roar.

You got an awesome buff in Mark of the Wild.

You get heal over time thats instant and can be quite usefull in a long fight.

You can usually escape in diffrent ways if needed, cat shape, sea lion shape and the ability to port to Moonglade. (Brave Sir Robin ran away?)

There are probably more things but I cant think of them now. Still...its a fun class methinks and thats what counts for me. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom