Drinking in the house? problem?

Aada

Part of the furniture
I don't go to the pubs because i don't like shouting over myself to try and talk tothe guy next to me.

As somebody said it is cheaper to buy from the supermarket and drink in the comfort of your own home without having to worry about getting home and lets face it walking home these days is just dangerous.

Wonk

Can't get enough of FH
I don't go to the pubs because i don't like shouting over myself to try and talk tothe guy next to me.

As somebody said it is cheaper to buy from the supermarket and drink in the comfort of your own home without having to worry about getting home and lets face it walking home these days is just dangerous.

aha, now I know why you were so horrible at PES :fluffle:

Imgormiel

Part of the furniture
Ok, I spent some of xmas trying to find out where this attitude came from, and it led me to the temperance movement from the 1920's, which ultimately led to prohibition in the US.

Many of these people today have still not had a drink, that means the sons and daughters of these people. But the irony of it was that as today drug use, ie in those times, cocaine, opium etc was swept under the table for the acceptable enemy of society which was freely available to everyone because that was considered the mass problem. Usually it was frowned upon by the upper echelon's of society to the poor - nothing new there then, save that hypocracy one rule for one people, another for another.

I am not advocating that drinking is a lifestyle not something to be frowned on. But still, seriously outmoded attitude given today's society, everyone needs to enjoy themselves in a way they see fit. Those that do it to excess well we all know that story....

kiliarien

Part of the furniture
I always drink at home, mostly when playing games! (That's my excuse for being a shit player btw). I don't mind going down the pub etc. but as people have said, it's fooking expensive and I get much more beer for my money at home, and often have people around to share the drinks so I don't see it as socially unacceptable in any way. There is also merit in it seems:

BBC NEWS | Health | Drinking at home 'cuts bingeing'

I'm not a teenager but I still think the point stands for adults who go out and get totally mullered and cause trouble.

That said, how would all the ugly men/women get their sex without binging? :p

Ned

Fledgling Freddie
Drinking in the house is fine. Who said it had to be a social activity?

As long as you have fun then there is no harm done. And, it doesn't mean you are an alcoholic.

I loved to have a drink and play computer games on a Friday night. Esp DAOC!

Have fun and don't worry about what other people think imo. Enjoy yourself, as time on this earth is preciously short.

Fucking enjoy yourself m8, and happy xmas/new year :cheers:

Olgaline

FH is my second home
drinking while playing daoc, can actually, in some warped way be concidered a "social activity"

Ned

Fledgling Freddie
drinking while playing daoc, can actually, in some warped way be concidered a "social activity"

Haha, yes I suppose you are right!

Although it was quite difficult at times to find a group to play with.
And I seldom made it beyond 01.00 before i faceplanted my keyboard :lol:

Imgormiel

Part of the furniture
nothing funnier than a drunk troll trying to lead.....

Doesn't have to be a troll, guess you never were in maeloch's group in hib, always funny and he was always pissed off his head xD

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Nothing wrong with drinking at home with other people. Bit sad on your own though.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Personal opinion etc, but I just see drinking as a social thing. There's nothing wrong with a nice cold beer after work in the summer or anything like that, but getting drunk on your own... I just see it as a bit sad, hard to explain why.

Imgormiel

Part of the furniture
Nothing wrong with drinking at home with other people. Bit sad on your own though.

You know, this is precisely because of attitudes like this that I started this thread.

Imgormiel

Part of the furniture
Personal opinion etc, but I just see drinking as a social thing. There's nothing wrong with a nice cold beer after work in the summer or anything like that, but getting drunk on your own... I just see it as a bit sad, hard to explain why.

Then don't say it?

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Sorry for having an opinion, i'll try not to in future.

Imgormiel

Part of the furniture
Sorry for having an opinion, i'll try not to in future.

It's not your opinion that I find wanting, it's your lack of reason to substantiate it. I see alot of people saying things these days without thinking about what they say first :(

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Well I said, I find it hard to explain. I see drinking very much as a social thing, so doing it unsociably by drinking alone I see as a bit sad. For me the point of drinking is to add the experience of having a good time with my mates, if it's going out to a club or having a few beers and sitting round playing pro. I don't see the point of doing it alone, because you've got no one to share the experience with. Say one night you stay in and get a bit pissed on your own, you wouldn't go to work and announce it the next day like you might if you've had a cracking night out with your mates would you?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Aoami, you're not alone, most people, i'd say, nearly 70%(personal opinion number) will think like you do. Just how the society is built.

I don't think so, i think that it's more like wanking. Sure, the real deal is more fun and you'd rather get it on with a hottie then with your hand, but it's still wanking.

That is, if you're not drinking for the wrong reasons.

Imgormiel

Part of the furniture
Well I said, I find it hard to explain. I see drinking very much as a social thing, so doing it unsociably by drinking alone I see as a bit sad. For me the point of drinking is to add the experience of having a good time with my mates, if it's going out to a club or having a few beers and sitting round playing pro. I don't see the point of doing it alone, because you've got no one to share the experience with. Say one night you stay in and get a bit pissed on your own, you wouldn't go to work and announce it the next day like you might if you've had a cracking night out with your mates would you?

That's more down to perception, observation and existentialism. Doesn't sound as though you have tried to get drunk alone for the right reasons. It is by all accounts quite fun when doing it that way.

Given my age, drinking in a pub or at home amounts to the same thing, all my friends have long since had families and other obligations that surmount the old social friendly gathering we had back in the day.

And actually I did last week. Got a chippy and a few tinnies and stayed in. Best night I had experienced in a very long time tbh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom