TV Dr Who - Season 8

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
My wife is excited about it. I might watch it over the paper.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Are those videos spoilery, or "pre-season" stuff? I can't wait, ordering jelly babies from your island in two weeks orso just for it, but i don't want to spoil anything :p

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
Wasn't too sure about capaldi at first, but I'm warming to the idea. Gonna watch either way cos I love it

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Episode was leaked, black and white and near no CGI - Think I'll give it a miss and wait for it to air..

Who knows, it could even be good.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Thought it was pretty decent for a first episode.

Edmond

Its been given a 50/50 in the reviews, but yes I liked it too, I don't think the dynamic of the show has changed, but them Moffat is still in charge so it wasn't going to that much.

I think an actor no matter how successful they are is going to find it hard to fill his predecessors shoes in a show like this, even someone as established as Capaldi. I hadn't seen anything of Matt Smith before his stint, and to be fair, I knew who David Tennent was, but I hadn't seen him in anything, so it was easier to take them at face value.

So it must be harder for Capaldi to take on the role with him already established in 'The Thick of It', although the bit with the tramp was a bit 'Tucker', I half expected him to call the tramp a fucking fuck at one point!

I thought Clara's character was very good too in this

So yes I think it will work, well its got to really hasn't it

soze

I am a FH squatter
I thought it was shit and everything that I liked about the way Clara and the Dooctor bounce off each other is gone. I don't like it. I will give it one more episode.

Edmond

I thought it was shit and everything that I liked about the way Clara and the Dooctor bounce off each other is gone. I don't like it. I will give it one more episode.

I think that's the idea though, she wasn't meant to, she didn't know him, besides Amy bounced off the Doctor better than Clara did.

I'm sure if we look back at a thread about Matt Smith's 1st ep it will look a lot like this one

soze

I am a FH squatter
I think that's the idea though, she wasn't meant to, she didn't know him, besides Amy bounced off the Doctor better than Clara did.

I'm sure if we look back at a thread about Matt Smith's 1st ep it will look a lot like this one
I have to disagree Clara was way better than Pond in the way they interacted. The banter was brilliant. If that returns I will be happy. If they stay stand offish till she leaves I will not like it!

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
To be honest I though more of
The setting was good, a nice continuation from the end of Season 7 (Name of the Doctor) where we were with Vastra, Jenny & Strax through the specials to this. Effectively Clara is dealing with her 4th unique Doctor. I'm a bit unsure how they're going to deal with her whole "Impossible Girl" thing, I get the impression that they're just going to gloss over it completely.

Turamber

Part of the furniture
From where I was sitting it was the same mad cap random rubbish at a million miles per hour to hide plot holes and the paucity of the material. Madam Vashta and her wife were far more interesting albeit underused.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Wasn't sure at the start, but Capaldi very quickly sold it for me. Like with Tennant at start i didn't like him, but at the end of his first episode i "accepted" him as Doctor. Same here, just that little flick of "Oh yeah there he is"(fitting eh?)

Also really liking Clara(well did from day 1) and the steampunky style of it all. It's going to be a different type of Doctor who though, possibly less runny and more thinky. Not really sure where they're going with it, but will enjoy the ride.

Overall; started good.

russell

FH is my second home
I didn't like it. It didn't entertain me enough.
It's the storylines and character interaction, not Capaldi - he was better than I thought he would be.

I found it a little flat, missing the cleverness and wit and originality in the twists.
Clara is a bit like Martha was to me, eye candy that lacks something.

Hoping it will get better as it has been one if my favourite shows for years

russell

FH is my second home
Tired...And that STUPID woman at the end really irritated me.

Last edited:

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I was pretty bored by this. And what's with a dinosaur the size of Godzilla?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
They did mention that, or Vastra said "they were bigger then you think"(or to that degree).

One thing that i do feel dubious about is;

The end and the whole promised land/heaven bit. Have to be real careful where you take that route.

The problem with all 1st episodes of ew doctors is the teething one. I always found it fitting that the episodes struggled a bit. Atleast it's not another Donna incident.

Last edited:

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Yeah what we talked about with brother is that it -might- be a mix of doctor who, steampunk and sherlock holmes. Had that kind of a wibe to it.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
I do love it how everyone analyses doctor who.

It's a fucking kids programme anyway.

although it is good. :)

Bigmac

Part of the furniture
I enjoyed it though for the first 10-15 minutes I was like wtf is up with the doctor.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I do love it how everyone analyses doctor who.

Let's see the reviews on TMNT2014 then :p (Which btw will be appearing tomorrow latest as seeing it tonight.)

I think it's more about telling why/why not then analysing(or that's how i read it) which is better then the "it's sh*t" comments that shouldn't be arsed with. Also over-analysing the doctor is fitting in itself (y)

soze

I am a FH squatter
Another reason for the thumbs down is the "next week on...." part. Fucking Daleks again? Seriously have we not done everything we can with them yet? Any chance of some new and interesting bad guys? Daleks then Cybermen then the Stone fuckers.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Another reason for the thumbs down is the "next week on...." part. Fucking Daleks again? Seriously have we not done everything we can with them yet? Any chance of some new and interesting bad guys? Daleks then Cybermen then the Stone fuckers.

Doctor Who is pantomime - not high art. So the pantomime villans have to return.

Nobody complained when the guys false face was ripped off at the end of every scooby doo episode...

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Another reason for the thumbs down is the "next week on...." part. Fucking Daleks again?

Thanks for that, i skip the "next time" bits just because i don't want episode spoilers. So yeah.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Get a grip it has spoiled exactly nothing.

I disagree - if you don't know it's the daleks then you don't know. The surprise comes whilst watching the episode.

I hate the "next week on" shit too...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom