Downloading telly programs

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Whats the best way to do this? Is it covered by them laws meaning you end up with a £400 voluntary fine or get taken to court?

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Unless you are using an approved TV viewer type program like <whatever>player then most of the time it is against the law.

From "googling" the web most people seem to download TV programs via a torrent or Usenet. Whatever you decide is best for you I also would recommend, after "googling" again, to install a program called PeerBlock. This app stops unwanted IP addresses from being able to see what you are doing by blocking all outgoing or incoming connections to the PC running it.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
not that I've ever used torrents or downloaded telly programs evah I've heard that eztv.it ain't bad...

:)

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Of course, I am aware that people use EZTV and and Isohunt, I clearly wasnt explaining myself properly.

I actually know someone who's had one of these pay 400 quid or go to court letters, and wouldnt want one myself, though the new series of Sons of Anarchy is about to begin so I'm confused.

Now that peerblocker thing would help people who did want to download aforementioned TV series?

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Of course, I am aware that people use EZTV and and Isohunt, I clearly wasnt explaining myself properly.

I actually know someone who's had one of these pay 400 quid or go to court letters, and wouldnt want one myself, though the new series of Sons of Anarchy is about to begin so I'm confused.

Now that peerblocker thing would help people who did want to download aforementioned TV series?

Throd,

Peerblocker is a must, it offers a good level of protection :)

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
I've been told that isohunt is very good and that peerblock is a must, make sure you have its set to run on start up and to update every day.....so i've been told....apparently

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
What was the program they got "caught" for?

Plus if it's a popular telly program, quit that torrent as soon as it's done downloading. They don't care if you donwload, they DO care if you spread it about. That's if you're using a public torrent service, that is.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Downloading a song, just one. They had downloaded loads before, but this instance was just for one song.

(No, it wasnt me.)

Do people still use utorrent then?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Being a completely law abiding citizen who has just installed PeerBlock, I assume I need to allow HTTP?

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Yes.

You'll also find that it blocks Steam and a lot of other games from working properly online, you can allow these programs as and when they appear on the block list.

Edmond

and make sure you update regularly

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Can you not just turn it off when your not using it?

Edmond

it usually runs in the background, it does no harm to keep it going

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Never turn it off if you are running any form of torrent program in the background....

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Of course, I just meant if you wernt running a torrent, not that I would be of course.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
I just tried it, with blocked http, and it let me play css. Is that right?

Would have been better if it stopped me though ....

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Your friend got a letter for downloading a song? Not a TV ep?

I havn't heard of _anyone_ in the uk getting demands/fines/etc for that - it seems to be mostly the music industry.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Dunno, for a laugh?

By the way, it was solicitors on behalf of the Ministry of Sound who are threatening to sue my friend, I just asked.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
This report was interesting in relation to your friend...
File sharers targeted with legal action over music downloads

Sounds like they scooped an IP address, got the postal address from the ISP, then fired off the letter. It also seems unable to be enforced with the level of evidence they have. They basically try and get you to incriminate yourself.
I'd suggest either ignoring the letter or using his free hour with a solicitor for advice.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
if you dont admit it the only way for them to prove it is to find it on your hdd afaik ..

but do you really wanna go to court and all thats what theya re banking on .. there are if you look hard enough lawyers getting cases together saying this stuff is bull ..

soze

I am a FH squatter
I use rlslog and a hotfile account no chance you can be accused of distributing the media then which is what they normally go after.

A mate of mine go the letter and replied saying can you please provide proof that i downloaded this song. And he never heard back. Worst part is it was a Kylie track lol.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
You can safely return those letters with a little bag of rabbit shit.

I am getting all sorts of hits on PeerBlock, some really random companies, hotels, colleges and good old Time Warner.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I'd actually advise you to run peerblock or a similar program as standard. I don't actually understand why my computer wants to talk to the systems it does (which get blocked).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom