Doom 3!

Sycho

Can't get enough of FH
You got to becareful with ATI lately though, they have been cheating in their benchmarks apparently, was articles about it on websites, i can post here later on if i find it, but there's really not much difference between the new versions at all.

Doom is £26.99 from gameplay where i ordered it, out aug 13th :/ limited edition.I can't see even the best pc that you can build at the moment even playing it at 1280 res with full effects or above with 60 frames a second always...the gfx look like intros from games like far cry but even better Oo

We will see though. :p

Xeanor

Fledgling Freddie
ATi X800 or Nvidia Geforce 6800 Ultra... you'll have a good card when you buy either of them no doubt...

would suggest one of those for Doom 3 and at least 1GB ram... I'm saving cash for it atm :X

Straef

Can't get enough of FH
Sycho said:
Anyone played this yet?xD if so how good is it?

Just pre ordered it last night and can't wait for it. :)

Also anyone know what the online multiplayer modes are like?
Played alpha or beta or whatever over halfa year back, made my pc crash :p
My m8's pc ran it ok tho n looked well good, the graphics etc anyways :eek:

Cami

Fledgling Freddie
VidX said:
System Requirements (that I could find, once again from Amazon):

Windows 2000/XP
Pentium IV 1.5 GHz or Athlon 1500+
384MB RAM
3D hardware Accelerator Card Required – 100% DirectX 9.0b compatible
64MB Hardware Accelerated video card and the latest drivers*.
8x Speed CD-ROM drive (1200KB/sec sustained transfer rate) and latest drivers
2.2GB of uncompressed free hard disk space (plus 400MB for Windows® swap file)
100% DirectX® 9.0b compatible 16-bit sound card and latest drivers
100% Windows® 2000/XP compatible mouse, keyboard and latest drivers
DirectX 9.0b (included)

MULTIPLAYER REQUIREMENTS:
Internet (TCP/IP) and LAN (TCP/IP) play supported
Internet play requires broadband connection and latest drivers
LAN play requires network interface card and latest drivers

That should be no problem then :p

And thanks Usp :)

Deepfried

One of Freddy's beloved
Doom should be out on 13th aug played it recently on demo mode looked very good and tbh most pc's out there now will run the game
i played the demo on a laptop and it ran very well
deepfried

SoulFly

Can't get enough of FH
Xeanor said:
ATi X800 or Nvidia Geforce 6800 Ultra... you'll have a good card when you buy either of them no doubt...

would suggest one of those for Doom 3 and at least 1GB ram... I'm saving cash for it atm :X
Geforce 6800 ultra pwns in doom 3 :E

harebear

Fledgling Freddie
I got the alpha thing and apart from the menus etc not working and having to do it all my console it runs pretty well, so I would guess the full game can only be better. Graphics are pretty cool and 1st time I killed zombie on some stairs it was amazing (at the time was the 1st game id played with good clipping/physics). The fat dude just collapsed and rolled down, then arm got stuck on some metal and the zombie swung around :D

harebear

Fledgling Freddie
Mauness said:
tought ATI was better for Doom 3 and the geforce better for HL2?

Other way around mate =D my 9800 pro runs the alpha of Doom3 fine thou, so if you have ATI Doom should be cool :)

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
why do you need to keep at 60fps, your eye cannot even see any improvements over 33fps or something can it?

emma

Loyal Freddie
Got the leaked Beta on my comp and it ran ok i guess. Didnt look uber but thats cos my poor Athlon 1.3Ghz was getting a tad stressed by all the eye candy.

tbh though if you can run Splinter Cell 2 well you can run Doom 3 ok in lower detail settings if your machine is anything like mine.

snoz

Loyal Freddie
tris- said:
why do you need to keep at 60fps, your eye cannot even see any improvements over 33fps or something can it?
pc is not like tv. You wanna kinda sync your refresh rate and fps for a start or you can tell. around 75fps is nice. In most first person shooters more fps the better as effects movement speed. Take quake 3 for instance. 125 had a sweet spot where you could perform certain jumps. Also 333 fps was better then 125, till that was fixed as u coul jump 2x as far or smt :)

snoz

Loyal Freddie
emma said:
Got the leaked Beta on my comp and it ran ok i guess. Didnt look uber but thats cos my poor Athlon 1.3Ghz was getting a tad stressed by all the eye candy.

tbh though if you can run Splinter Cell 2 well you can run Doom 3 ok in lower detail settings if your machine is anything like mine.
That leaked version was a pile of shit no point compare that to what we be getting on release, is like 2 years old alpha version :) I expect release version will be far more optimised.

orodruin-

Fledgling Freddie
I ll try to run it to a poor 1600 Athlon+ XP overclocked to ~1900mhz with 512ddr ram and a nVIDIA Ti 4200 128 graphic card. I used to have pretty good fps in the leaked alpha beta if i didnt had a fight but my fps used to drop below 10 in combat. so now with the official game that will be far more optimized i think that my computer will manage. if not i think on buying:

2600+xp athlon? or one more 512ddr ram? or a new graphic card? Can someone tell a good (not the best) model, because i really lost it there with graphic cards. :p Ti4200 128 was a very good choice, value for money i would say. So i want smthn like it.

Fenks
/does the bus dance

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
you can get the 9800pro here but thats only till tomorrow! i am gonna buy it tonight even though i am skint :eek6:

emma

Loyal Freddie
snoz said:
That leaked version was a pile of shit no point compare that to what we be getting on release, is like 2 years old alpha version :) I expect release version will be far more optimised.
I know but it gives a good idea on the sort of performance "i" can expect in the final game.

snoz

Loyal Freddie
Hardocp just done some benchmarks with release version .. although using latest cards and a decent pc :) Worth reading anyway.

http://www2.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjQy

For those of you that think you are not going to have the hardware that you need to play DOOM 3, the fact of the matter is that many of you will be just fine, although an upgrade may still be in your future. As of this afternoon we were playing DOOM 3 on a 1.5GHz Pentium 4 box with a GeForce 4 MX440 video card and having a surprisingly good gaming experience. Even a subtle jump to an AMD 2500+ with a GeForce 3 video card that is two years old will deliver a solid gaming experience that will let you enjoy the game the way id Software designed it to be. That fact alone should let many of you know that you will not be left behind in experiencing DOOM 3.
Id suggest let ebay be your friend. Two years ago i built my 2nd pc (1ghz athlon geforce 2) on there for under £150. Now for £150 you could get yourself a 2500+ athlon and geforce 4/radeon 9500 quite easy with ram and motherboard. Maybe even better. So note is most people will have good enough hardware to run doom 3 in basic settings and with a small upgrade (improve your daoc fps too!) you can play the game pretty much how it was intended to run. Who needs 1600 res anyway ? Although im buying a new rig for it ( athlon 64 3200 + geforce 6800 ) No way would i run at 1600x, my monitor is too small :) As for AA and AF .. depends how much you care, I dont mind the odd jaggy line.

Carnalito

One of Freddy's beloved
god i cant wait until i can blow albs to bits with my rocket launcher.. gib doom3!!

snoz

Loyal Freddie
ATI vs NVDIA

Looking at the cream of the crop in video cards, it is painfully obvious that ATI is going to have to make some changes in their product line to stay competitive, at least with DOOM 3 gamers. There is no way for a $500 X800XT-PE to compete with a $400 6800GT when the GT is simply going to outperform the more expensive card by a good margin. I am sure ATI is trying their best to figure out their next move and it will certainly be interesting to see if their driver teams pull a rabbit out of their hat or not.
Happy i picked nvidia, was easychoice anyway x800 is nothing but a supped up 9800 while geforce 6800 is truely next gen. Most sites that give AT > Nvidia are always pro ATI anyway, places like diverheaven etc. . zzz :] Check proper sites like tomshardware or anandtech You can see its pretty even. Then add to that you can get a geforce 6800 GT and seems every single one overclocks outta the box to ultra levels and has 16 pipe lines supports ps 3.0 etc. The geforce 6800 GT is the card to buy. Is one ive bought anyway ! Doom 3 Wise geforce 6800 GT is the card to buy 100% no doubt :) Mine cost £291.

Sycho

Can't get enough of FH
snoz said:
ATI vs NVDIA

Happy i picked nvidia, was easychoice anyway x800 is nothing but a supped up 9800 while geforce 6800 is truely next gen. Most sites that give AT > Nvidia are always pro ATI anyway, places like diverheaven etc. . zzz :] Check proper sites like tomshardware or anandtech You can see its pretty even. Then add to that you can get a geforce 6800 GT and seems every single one overclocks outta the box to ultra levels and has 16 pipe lines supports ps 3.0 etc. The geforce 6800 GT is the card to buy. Is one ive bought anyway ! Doom 3 Wise geforce 6800 GT is the card to buy 100% no doubt :) Mine cost £291.

8x AGP? there's something about pci-express connections they have? emma told me about those and you need a new motherboard for them, any ideas which?

What connection did your card have? because in those benchmarks they have pci-express too xE

snoz

Loyal Freddie
Sycho said:
8x AGP? there's something about pci-express connections they have? emma told me about those and you need a new motherboard for them, any ideas which?

What connection did your card have? because in those benchmarks they have pci-express too xE
PCI Express is not even out yet really, you can get some motherboards with it but the cards are not out yet. Like you said check the benchmarks in link i posted pci express vs agp 8x is theres NO difference at all. Yes my card is agp. As far as im aware the bandwidth agp 4x offers is enough for cards atm, let alone agp x8 or pci express. Makes no difference. Only good thing with pci Express is in the future you will be able to run 2 gfx cards at once, but then the cards will have to support this.

You said they are pci Express ? one page is pci express next page is agp ... so compare yourself ^^ READ MAN READ :]

snoz

Loyal Freddie
my bad is like a 10% difference, but if you read what machines they usinmg .. the one with PCI X is using a 3.6 p4 and the one using agp is using a 3.2 P4 .... the fps difference is based on the higher rated CPU nothing to do with pci express imo. Do the math ^^

Sycho

Can't get enough of FH
I haven't looked at them properly yet but that's good then, got to buy new motherboard, hardrive, geforce 6800 and some fast good ram aswell as a nice fast processor that suits the motherboard.Going to cost quite a lot, not really up to date with components out now so no fucking idea what to do get out of those and where from xE

But might just upgrade processor, motherboard and ram since fx5900 should be ok still on doom 3 they say.

snoz

Loyal Freddie
Sycho said:
I haven't looked at them properly yet but that's good then, got to buy new motherboard, hardrive, geforce 6800 and some fast good ram aswell as a nice fast processor that suits the motherboard.Going to cost quite a lot, not really up to date with components out now so no fucking idea what to do get out of those and where from xE

But might just upgrade processor, motherboard and ram since fx5900 should be ok still on doom 3 they say.
www.overclockers.co.uk

Cheapest prices around mainly. All my stuff cost £800 ish, CPU/gfx/mobo/1gb ram/ I bought kingston hyper X pc4000 (only needed pc3200) as i wanna try some large overclock.

Sycho

Can't get enough of FH
snoz said:
www.overclockers.co.uk

Cheapest prices around mainly. All my stuff cost £800 ish, CPU/gfx/mobo/1gb ram/ I bought kingston hyper X pc4000 (only needed pc3200) as i wanna try some large overclock.

Shopping Cart (Prices in British Pounds) DESCRIPTION QUANTITY PRICE COST REMOVE
XFX GeForce 6800 Ultra 256MB DDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI (AGP) - Retail (GX-016-XF)
£339.95 £339.95
MSI K8N Platinum nForce3 250 (Socket 754) Motherboard (MB-022-MS)
£73.50 £73.50
AMD Athlon 64 3400 (Socket 754) - Retail (CP-071-AM)
£189.95 £189.95
Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 160GB SATA 8MB Cache - OEM (HD-009-SE)
£66.00 £66.00
Corsair 1GB DDR XMS3200LLPT TwinX (2x512MB) CAS2 (MY-018-CS)
£225.00 £225.00
Subtotal £894.40
VAT £156.52
Total £1,050.92

That good? i got a p4 2.66ghz at the moment so i am wondering how much faster the athlon 3400 would be and 3700 is too costly :/

I also currently have 2x512 ddr pc2100 ram so that's kind of crap...and hardrive is one that came with the pc so a load of crap probably, probably the reason i get fps lag in daoc sometimes and the memory not being fast enough.

snoz

Loyal Freddie
Sycho said:
Shopping Cart (Prices in British Pounds) DESCRIPTION QUANTITY PRICE COST REMOVE
XFX GeForce 6800 Ultra 256MB DDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI (AGP) - Retail (GX-016-XF)
£339.95 £339.95
MSI K8N Platinum nForce3 250 (Socket 754) Motherboard (MB-022-MS)
£73.50 £73.50
AMD Athlon 64 3400 (Socket 754) - Retail (CP-071-AM)
£189.95 £189.95
Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 160GB SATA 8MB Cache - OEM (HD-009-SE)
£66.00 £66.00
Corsair 1GB DDR XMS3200LLPT TwinX (2x512MB) CAS2 (MY-018-CS)
£225.00 £225.00
Subtotal £894.40
VAT £156.52
Total £1,050.92

That good? i got a p4 2.66ghz at the moment so i am wondering how much faster the athlon 3400 would be and 3700 is too costly :/

I also currently have 2x512 ddr pc2100 ram so that's kind of crap...and hardrive is one that came with the pc so a load of crap probably, probably the reason i get fps lag in daoc sometimes and the memory not being fast enough.
Decent yer, you can most likely overclock it to 3800 + levels atleast if not more .. people beeing getting 2.5 ghz outta 3200 + (2.2 ghz)

Sycho

Can't get enough of FH
snoz said:
Decent yer, you can most likely overclock it to 3800 + levels atleast if not more .. people beeing getting 2.5 ghz outta 3200 + (2.2 ghz)

Heh after i posted that i just found the bundles there, they seem the ideal thing for me, think i go with the athlon 3400 or p4 3.4ghz bundles, £516 for the memory(3200 and 2x512ddr), the cpu and very nice motherboard.Then just get that seagate hardrive with it, can always get geforce 6800 later since i got fx5900 at the moment anyway, asus one looks a nice price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom