Domain/Hosting confusion

babs

Can't get enough of FH
I registered a domain a while ago with Freeparking, and had my domain pointed at my ISP webspace. Freeparking offered me mail forwarding and POP3 accounts too, which I use.

I decided to get some proper hosting, and saw in another thread webmania who were exceptionally cheap, so signed up. Now I'm just a little confused. At Freeparking I've changed the DNS entries to webmania's, and know it'll take up to 48 hours to change (it hasn't yet). The thing is, webmania offer POP3 mail too. Is the change in DNS servers enough to make sure that mail goes through them instead of freeparking in future? On my Freeparking account I can edit the DNS zone entries one by one, but didn't want to touch anything until I knew one way or another. I assume it's MX records, but it's very likely I'm way off-mark :)

I know in theory it's simple, I just can't seem to get my brain around it.

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
When we transferred studentssocial.co.uk over to Burton we transferred our mail services as well. I think it's all part of the same process.

-- Checking the transfer options with my host I just have the option of providing 2 DNS servers for the domain to transfer the lot.

With this in mind you probably need to make record of all your email addresses so they can be remade at the other end, and if you have an option to download things like mailboxes from the existing accounts, that might be worth doing as well.

babs

Can't get enough of FH
Hmm, I'm a little confused now. Before signing up with webmania I was going to go with 1and1, but didn't go through with it as there was only an option for paying anually (I saw the 'monthly' prices and was stupid enough to think I could pay that way). Unfortunately they don't tell you until _after_ you change your .uk Tag to theirs (SCHLUND). So my hosting is now with webmania, my tag is registered to 1and1 and my domain is registered through freeparking.

I know, a right ballsup, but here's the thing. I changed my DNS server entries via freeparking on Saturday night to the webmania DNS servers, but nothing has happened so far, yet the change in Tag registrant has happened. I can only guess one of two things is happening. 1. It's just taking ages to change, or 2. They won't accept the change because it's not coming from my new tag holders.

I confess I'm not entirely sure what the tag entry does (is it just for renewal of the domain once it becomes available?), but is it possible that this is why my DNS changes aren't happening? Any advice? (I intend to mail 1and1 today to find out about moving my tag).

babs

Can't get enough of FH
After some investigation and emails, it seems the DNS changes can only be made by those who hold the tag. Unfortunately, the company who holds my tag have no record of me as I cancelled my account before signing up. The monkey on their support desk told me 'yeah, you should just have to ask the company you want use to request a change, that should work'.

Needless to say it doesn't, and I now have to go through the process of trying to change my tag back again. I don't forsee a quick fix.

babs

Can't get enough of FH
Well, hopefully to end my blog of stupidity, I've done all the necessary with Nominet and paid £15+vat for the privilege after 1and1 proved to be as useful as <insert witty metaphor here>. Seems they have an 8 day backlog (nominet this is) but are working overtime to clear it.

Hey ho, you live and learn I suppose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom