Dogs

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
Seriously thinking about having some canine company, now Ive moved and settled in Leicester, its the first time having a house and garden (that i would class big enough) for a dog.

First time owner (but in my early 30's so mature enough.... most of the time) :)

Went to the local NCDL today and just wanted to take them all home, but the bread that caught my eye was the border collies, there just so damn cute. But the ones they had in were as they put it "not suitable".

I work in the day, but come home for lunch, everyone at work I've talked to said that shouldn't be a problem as alot of dog owners do the same.Got a cat too so obviously thats a major factor, but no kids - which is a good thing i think.

Is a border collie too much to handle for a new owner? I go for a walk to the shops in the morning to get a paper and can easily spare time in the evenings for a long walk and there are some great fields behind the estate for a run around at the weekends.

Been looking around the net, and I could go buy a pedigree puppy ... which would solve the cat issue growing up with him, but a puppy is almost certainly too much for a first time owner.

Any advice ? or anyone know some dog rescue places around Leicester?

Awww - aint they cute !
BorderCollieWynne7Years3.JPG

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
I used to have a welsh border collie. Lovely dogs. They need LOADS of exercise and lots of love. Don't get a dog if you're gonna leave it on its own for 12 hours a day. Not fair.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Honestly wouldn't trust any OTer with a live animal o_o The stories.. - Puppies are too much to handle if you've not got something for it to do all day. Gardens are good enough, means they'll be able to do all their stuff outside.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Take a dog out for a walk before work, take do out after work.

That's how it works, no need to spend your lunch breaks to cater a canine.

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
Take a dog out for a walk before work, take do out after work.

That's how it works, no need to spend your lunch breaks to cater a canine.

Its no problem - I come home for lunch now, just to escape work for my alloted hour :) its only 7miles away so under 10m in the car.

Overdriven

But there so cute, and intelligent, I got bored of trying to teach the cat to "fetch" :)

The ONLY reason we don't know what cats are thinking: Because they have no eyebrows! Dogs do!

Olgaline

FH is my second home
But there so cute, and intelligent, I got bored of trying to teach the cat to "fetch" :)
lol :D

you might want to take a look at a rhodesian richback, [rhodesian for google]

maybe not the "cutest" but an awsome dog, and very very intelligent

Nate

FH is my second home
A border collie is a very bad choice as a first time owner, the dog is a working dog..it requires a lot (I mean A LOT) of work, you will not be able to keep up with this breed as a first time owner. If the dog does not get enough work, collie's become very destructive, and believe me you don't want that. Think new furniture in every room every week.

A good breed to get at the same sort of size and quite intelligent(this all depends on the amount of training, walks, and time spent on the dog) is a Labrador. This breed is fun, loving and gentle. It still requires work, don't think taking the dog on walks everyday is enough.

You need to let the dog out every 4 hours (less if it's a puppy), if you want it to be intelligent train it (just make sure the training is good, sitting down in a hall and walking around in circles with the dog is NOT good training) you can find a lot of information about this with your local vet practice (some even do puppy parties (the dog learns at a very early age how to interact with other puppies at the same age which is very important))

I'll go in to more detail if you like.

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
A border collie is a very bad choice as a first time owner, the dog is a working dog..it requires a lot (I mean A LOT) of work, you will not be able to keep up with this breed as a first time owner. If the dog does not get enough work, collie's become very destructive, and believe me you don't want that. Think new furniture in every room every week.

A good breed to get at the same sort of size and quite intelligent(this all depends on the amount of training, walks, and time spent on the dog) is a Labrador. This breed is fun, loving and gentle. It still requires work, don't think taking the dog on walks everyday is enough.

You need to let the dog out every 4 hours (less if it's a puppy), if you want it to be intelligent train it (just make sure the training is good, sitting down in a hall and walking around in circles with the dog is NOT good training) you can find a lot of information about this with your local vet practice (some even do puppy parties (the dog learns at a very early age how to interact with other puppies at the same age which is very important))

I'll go in to more detail if you like.

Funny... the voice in my head was saying exactly this, my parents have had Labs throughout all my childhood and I just remember them as ... mm... well... dull. I guess that was their upbringing and training tho. There was a 7yr old Lab at the centre today, took her out for a walk and her temperament showed, nice attitude towards other dogs and not trying to run ahead on the lead.

mmmmm - think there was a retriever/lab cross there too that was kinda cute :) I duno, i guess its just the longer hair :)

Nate

FH is my second home
Ok, I'd also recommend getting a rescue dog as a first time owner. The charities involved will cater(vet) the dog to you, and you to the dog, they will be able to help you out and the dog would already have basic training. In the event that the dog doesn't work out for you there is always the option to give it back to the rescue and it will be re-homed to a more suitable owner.

A pedigree puppy will not be particularly great as a first time owner, the breeders most of the time won't help you out at all, infact some of them will go out of there way to make your life worse (eg. tell you not to get them castrated/spayed with some nonsense about it being easier when really they just want to be able to ring you up further down the line and get you to breed your dog believe me, castrating although it's harsh makes living with the dog a lot easier(if you get a dog that is) and a lot less messy if you get a bitch.) In the event that the pedigree puppy doesn't work out for you, it may have to be put down.

Try this web-site Dogs Trust theres one in Norfolk, and I'd guess one in Leicester too. Theres also ofcourse Blue Cross, RSPCA, Battersea.

Congax

Fledgling Freddie
Get yourself a boomer ...

Boomer_sneeuw_WEB.GIF

They're cute as fuck! (no tohtori, I don't want to fuck them because they're cute :()

Overdriven

Get yourself a boomer ...

They're cute as fuck! (no tohtori, I don't want to fuck them because they're cute :()

I thought you said boner then read the last sentence :( You wanna fuck ugly boners? :(

Nate

FH is my second home
While we're on the subject I'll shamefully use this opportunity to show off my pup Noodle and also my first dog!(Naughty can be seen in the background, thats me mums) :DShe's a Jug(Jack Russell/Pug cross with pedigree parents) and at 5months old when I recorded this video after 6 weeks of 1 day a week training she can do all this! So good luck to you Alan, and maybe one day have a dog as good as my Noodle! (yeah right, she's the best!) :D

noodle.wmv - FileFront.com

Try to excuse the barnet, I'm working nights so I don't care!

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Nate, so leaving a dog for 12 or so hours is cruel, but cutting off it's balls or making sure it's not able to breed(which has strong psychological dangers, doggie depression being one of them, social outcasting other) is totally ok for "easier life" reasons?

I find that rather double standarded.

Also; "In the event that the pedigree puppy doesn't work out for you, it may have to be put down.", is bull, it's only the breeders who do f*cked up stuff like that 'cause a dog ain't "worthy".

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Get an in-house gimp slave and chain him to the basement

Nate

FH is my second home
Toht, ok maybe I worded the reasons for neutering a dog badly. Un-wanted pregnancy causes puppies to be put down every day.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Toht, ok maybe I worded the reasons for neutering a dog badly. Un-wanted pregnancy causes puppies to be put down every day.

Well there's a logical reason to neuter a dog, yes :D

Though, i'm a firm believer in pro-life when it comes to puppies. Give 'em away for free(to good enough homes) and they go like candy in a diabetic convention.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Jack Russell, the best companion you could ever wish for if you get one with the right temperment.

Congax

Fledgling Freddie
Jack Russell, the best companion you could ever wish for if you get one with the right temperment.
I've had one with the wrong temperament once. It was insane. Destroyed everything :(

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
As soon as I move out, from the two cats I have atm at mom and dads place, I'll be getting one of these:

Chatopug.JPG

Pug_600.jpg
- Look at that schlong! That's bigger than most OT'ers! :D

By far the cutest dog if you ask me! Full of life and the chicks LOVE them! :D

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Well there's a logical reason to neuter a dog, yes :D

Though, i'm a firm believer in pro-life when it comes to puppies. Give 'em away for free(to good enough homes) and they go like candy in a diabetic convention.

The Jack Russell I had for 14 years (we got it when I was 13 y.o. from the dog rescue place) was castrated at a young age, he had a wonderful temperment and was the happiest dog I have ever seen. He was well loved and cared for till the day he died, he always fitted in with other dogs and was never an outcast. Quite the opposite, he might have had his balls fixed but he was always after the bitches and it didn't stop his cock from working, just no doggy jizz for making puppies! :D

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
I've had one with the wrong temperament once. It was insane. Destroyed everything :(

Yep, it all comes down to the owners and how the the dogs are treated from birth. Also breeding is important, you usually find the ones with long pedigrees are a bit mental due to inbreeding and don't take orders well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom