Doctors not open all weekend...

Marc

FH is my second home
I have more respect and am more impressed by vets though

Doctors know human bodies and most of the time Docs ask you what the problem is, vets have to learn so many differnt anatomies and dont have the luxury of asking the patient

and a good vet will earn twice, nearly 3 times what a doctor does.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I'm more than happy with my GP - he does a good job IMHO.

I DO have a problem with never being able to get a fucking appointment to see him, though :eek:

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
The doctors offered nothing all weekend - no call outs etc.

The service we got from a call out doctor today was fantastic however and the service i have generally received in the past is great.

I just think a doctors has a social responsibility to be open on a saturday. The positive externalities would perhaps outweigh the extra costs etc. I'd think.

mycenae

Can't get enough of FH
vets only earn so much cos most own or have a share in the business. If you're a junior vet, you really earn not much as comapred to the amount you're expected to earn. Qualified vet nurses earn a pittance....£18k top whack, and thats after 2 years really intense and fecking hard study.

My GP has early morning and late afternoon appts, and you can call and get straight through to a GP between 12 and 1pm. nothing over the weekend though.

Marc

FH is my second home
vets only earn so much cos most own or have a share in the business. If you're a junior vet, you really earn not much as comapred to the amount you're expected to earn. Qualified vet nurses earn a pittance....£18k top whack, and thats after 2 years really intense and fecking hard study.

My GP has early morning and late afternoon appts, and you can call and get straight through to a GP between 12 and 1pm. nothing over the weekend though.

Which is the same for a GP. GPs own a share in the business. In my experience Salaried GPs earn on a par/less than salaried Vets.

Source? Im the accountant for numerous health practices/Vets

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
I'm more than happy with my GP - he does a good job IMHO.

I DO have a problem with never being able to get a fucking appointment to see him, though :eek:

which draws back to my first point

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
There are two in their 20's at my local health centre

Gotta agree, the doctor I went to see over Christmas (had a rash on my cock, it keeps rubbing against my shins) can't have been a day older than me. He couldn't wait to get rid of me "rash? antibiotics, bu bye".

I was surprised to get antibiotics tbh.

Garaen

One of Freddy's beloved
Interesting fact which I can't substantiate with evidence in any way but Dentists have the highest suicide rate of all professions. Apparently.

old.user4556

Well, I hear that Dentistry as a profession gets long in the tooth and eventually a sense of career decay pushes them over the edge.

rynnor

Rockhound
Interesting fact which I can't substantiate with evidence in any way but Dentists have the highest suicide rate of all professions. Apparently.

Its worse amongst female doctors - a big part of the problem is the stress, another part is the ability to freely get hold of prescription drugs/anaesthetics - all medics have higher suicide rates...

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Why the fuck would you want to off yourself when you earn 100k+ a year, silly bastards! I would have a fucking great life on that kind of money.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Because you were skint or because of other factors?

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
when i was skint i had no cares in the world, when i started getting money somehow i ended up with debt etc. When i was skint and my mates were skint too we all chipped in and helped each other all the time, now everyone has money everyone is more tight about lending each other etc

kirennia

Part of the furniture
Why the fuck would you want to off yourself when you earn 100k+ a year, silly bastards! I would have a fucking great life on that kind of money.

Money doesn't buy happiness, it's merely the lube. The problem is when put in a situation when morbid occasions can occur, it becomes very difficult to withdraw from your work within your free time. It's not so much the difficulty of oh, we couldn't save another person today, it's dealing with fatal mistakes which do happen, telling the loved ones that there was nothing you could do for a patient etc.

It all gets quite complicated but just imagining telling a parent their child is going to die and leading them to them...I personally know I wouldn't be able to withdraw from that. Then there is the easily available stash (which it needs to be for faster patient care) and it all becomes a whole lot easier to fall into the trap.

Wasn't there an american statistic a little while ago excaming that 40% of their homeless were war veterans? They come back after having to deal with similar stresses and don't have the money to back them up so giving up on life leads them to be homeless. Medics don't generally join medicine to kill so aren't necessarily as 'tough'. Money wont buy happiness when you're on the brink...rightly or wrongly.

Darthshearer

Can't get enough of FH
Its the appointments that get my cock tbh. NIGHTMARE to get one.

Although the telephone appointments are VERY handy for both patient and doctor

rynnor

Rockhound
Although the telephone appointments are VERY handy for both patient and doctor

How - surely thats only good if you have a cold - if you have something like 'abdominal pain' or other non-specific symptoms your just going to get told to come in? (unless they want to be up for misconduct when your dead from your appendix exploding etc.)

Darthshearer

Can't get enough of FH
How - surely thats only good if you have a cold - if you have something like 'abdominal pain' or other non-specific symptoms your just going to get told to come in? (unless they want to be up for misconduct when your dead from your appendix exploding etc.)

Bit confuzzled.

How? How do I find it handy?

Well, I needed to speak to my doctor abouyt an issue but didnt think it was necessary for me to be inb the surgery. I call up agree an approx time and the doc phones me up when he/she can.

If the doc deems it necessary for me to go in I get put back to reception to agree an appointment in person.

I like to think I have common sense and if I am in a certain pain or situation I shall asses it and think "do I need to see the doctor or not"

old.user4556

You say that, but you wouldn't live to the tune of a £30k a year salary and spend the rest; you'd have a bigger mortage, a bigger house, a better car, a bigger TV, nicer holidays and probably just as skint at the end of the month as the bloke earning £30k a year.

Maybe it's just me, but as I've been paid more I've always gone after nicer things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom