Do you work for an airline?

Lester

One of Freddy's beloved
My family and I are flying to Orlando next August (I know - mad) with Virgin Atlantic. Unfortunately due to the million pound surcharge for posh class we have to fly cattle class so I was wondering if any of you forumites work for Virgin or know of any way I can get a seat by the exit - last time I flew Virgin my legs didn't work for two days.

A doctors note, saying I have chronic spine problems? (I haven't)
The name of the person to bribe?

Hey! Maybe you know how to get an upgrade!

I shall bring back a Breakfast with a Disney Character for any helpful soul.

Tenko

Fledgling Freddie
Tell them you're an Air Marshal but you'll leave your gun behind if they upgrade you, that might work.

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Just arrive early, you'll need to be there before the rest of cattle class, which for a transatlantic jaunt means around 4 hours before boarding, which is generally half an hour before take off (passengers are asked to check in 3 hours before departure). When they allocate seats explain that due to your lanky legs you'd appreciate a seat by the emergency exit as it has more legroom and they'll generally do it.

If you do get a seat by the exit though it's generally the coldest bit of the cabit so keep the nasty blue/red blanket handy - you'll need it, especially for nighttime flights.

Xav

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Phone them up and ask. If they won't reserve you an aisle or bulkhead seat, then just turn up 2-3 hours before check in, that way you'll be able to ask for a seat at the check in desk.

If its a chartered flight, you might not ever get a choice.

Deadmanwalking

Fledgling Freddie
Tom said:
Phone them up and ask. If they won't reserve you an aisle or bulkhead seat, then just turn up 2-3 hours before check in, that way you'll be able to ask for a seat at the check in desk.

Anyone who has every phoned an airline and tried this will also be in fits of laughter like i am at this moment. They are bloody useless at anything that you ask, unless you are standing in front of them.

Do as Xavier said. Turn up up early and *demand* an Emergency exit or bulkhead seat. But if you are going with children go for the Bulkhead, as they don't allow kids in emergency exit.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I believe I mentioned this in my post. It does help that I've flown about 80 times.

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Heh, if we're going to start comparing Air Miles balances, you'll lose :)

PR.

Fledgling Freddie
Best thing to do is to buy FS2004 and get some practice in then get a pilots uniform and you get the big seat

Lester

One of Freddy's beloved
I'm actually quite short tho :( . I just wants teh legroom.

I do have the kids with me so that might help.

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Lester said:
I'm actually quite short tho :( . I just wants teh legroom.

I do have the kids with me so that might help.
A-ha, how old are they?

I've also heard parents asking for the bulkhead seats because their children have a habit of putting their feet against the backs of the seats in front, which pisses your fellow passengers off no end ;)

Can't hurt to try anyhoo.

Xav

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Xavier said:
Heh, if we're going to start comparing Air Miles balances, you'll lose :)

Mostly European flights, but twice to the US, once to Brazil, once to Malaysia. My mate works on the WRC, 14 rallies a year sure fills up that passport :)

Deacan

Fledgling Freddie
They also usally charge you extra for the front seats of cattle class.

As you get nice leg room.

Bastards i tell ya!

Then again, my flight to Orlando on BMI two years ago, had lots of empty seats, so you could get leg room easy :D

Deadmanwalking

Fledgling Freddie
Deacan said:

I have yet to be charged for any seats. And that includes upgrades to first and business.

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Deacan said:
Tis news to me... I usually only use virgin economy when I've changed my flights and need to get back sooner/later and my premium or upper ticket isn't transferrable, but that's still at least 10 occasions, of which I've had bulkhead/exit seats for 7/8 of those and never paid a bean.

Xav

Lester

One of Freddy's beloved
Does anyone have a seat plan or know the numbers of the good seats?

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
It will differ depending on the plane. Just get there early and you'll be fine mate.

Deadmanwalking

Fledgling Freddie
Depending on the age of your kids and the size of your family, it may be worth dressing up all nice and smart.. in an attempt to get a promotion to a higher class.

Munkey

Can't get enough of FH
Xavier said:
children have a habit of putting their feet against the backs of the seats in front, which pisses your fellow passengers off no end
Xav
i do that, but only if the bastard in front reclines their bloody seat. If you cant sleep sitting up, then go to fucking sleep before you get on the plane. My legs just die otherwise.

Not that i have any resentment against such people, i just hate them.

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Munkey said:
Not that i have any resentment against such people, i just hate them.
Heh, try that on a transatlantic flight, nearly everyone wants to sleep in the 10/11+ hours flying to Nevada or California, and I've seen two people carted out of their seats by the flight crew for interfering with other passengers like that.

It's a very quick way to end up spending the rest of the flight seated and strapped onto one of the crews wooden bench seats ;).

djpringle

Pork Smuggler
Ahh the very reason to try and avoid cattle class at all costs. I've found that by trying to fly with SE Asian operators rather than the BA / Qantas, Thai Air for instance, there are better deals available for upgrading. As a general plus point the service on non-western airlines is a darn sight better than your BA's etc.

It should be noted that I won't fly on BA after their little screw up last summer that dumped me in Abu Dhabi causing me to miss a connection in Bangkok and my bloody helicopter flight offshore :(

Tom

I am a FH squatter
BA must be the only airline to insist you wear your belt at all times, even when sleeping :eek:

Not that anyone pays any attention :)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Try and book with the airline in Kill Bill, you get to take your sword with you!

S

SmurfY

i flew out to orlando in 2003 a flight i WONT be forgetting very soon. The leg space what leg space this left me with permanent muscle strain poor git hope u sit with the poshies

Deadmanwalking

Fledgling Freddie
djpringle said:
miss a connection in Bangkok and my bloody helicopter flight offshore :(

Did you a bloody favour. Helicopter flights offshore are designed as a way to increase the suicide rate.

Nxs

One of Freddy's beloved
Bit of honest advice.... ditch the kids

They wont allow kids near the exit seats, health and safety and all that - big red handles that just invite pulling :)

Flew to orlando last year with virgin, just got to checking VERY early, asked for an exit seat and was givin one outbound and inbound, very nice staff and a great flight, will go virgin again this year. Male sure you have universal on your list of places to visit, something for the kids there too, best partk of the lot

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom