Do you think its appropriate that a mosque be built on Ground Zero?

Do you think its appropriate that a mosque be built on Ground Zero?

• Yes. I have no problem with it.

Votes: 17 34.0%
  • No. Its wrong.

Votes: 19 38.0%
  • I don't care.

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.0%

• Total voters

leviathane

Part of the furniture
why not. Majority of islamics are pretty nice peaceful people, it's only really the extremists who are nutters, pretty much the same with any religion.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I don't care, a mosque is not the symbol of evil that the media would have us believe, it's just a place of worship. America like to believe that it's a free country, so in a free country you would not stop this, and if you do, then ban all religious structures from the area.

Think Americans need to realise that the acts of extremists do not = the thinking of all Muslims.

DocWolfe

Part of the furniture
I don't think it's appropriate, I've got nothing against Muslims apart from the fact they believe in a religion.

But if a mosque is built it will just incite violence and hate against them, so what's the point?

Reno

One of Freddy's beloved
I might have given this poll some thought if the Mosque were actually build on Ground Zero.
Since it isn't, I won't bother.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Exactly Doc, it will just become a point of derision and hatred. Best left well alone.

mooSe_

FH is my second home
It's not being built on the site, it's being built near it; like 2 blocks away. The very fact that people are offended by the mosque being there shows their prejudice against Islam. It wasn't Islam that blew up the world trade centre, it was a small group of Muslims from a radical sect of Islam. The mosque that is being built has no affiliation with the Muslim group that committed the 9/11 attacks so why are people equating them? It's as though they are saying mosque (and hence Islam) = Terrorism.

_48854706_010021656-1.jpg

This pisses me off too. Why should the oppression of a different religion in another country mean that Muslims have to be oppressed outside of that country? You can't complain about the lack of religious freedom in Saudi Arabia and then restrict religious freedom in your own country.

The mosque being built is obviously stirring up trouble, but it shouldn't be because there is nothing wrong with building it there. Cancelling the building in order to prevent this uproar would just be catering to the stupidity and prejudice of the people who says it's insensitive.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
It is a mosque inside a multi faith development... The media have a lot to answer for.

I couldn't actually care less whether it was the biggest mosque in the world built on the actual site though tbh.

Helme

Resident Freddy
It's not being built at ground zero.

It's being built NEAR ground zero, at a place where an old shoeshop was.

OH NO; PLEASE MUSLIMS DONT DESECRATE THE HOLY SHOESHOP.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
No.

Most (as in >50%) Americans consider themselves christian or maybe jew. Republicans are even more so. They're the fundamentalists of American christianity IMO.

Best comedian ever. Not IMO, FACT! :)
Bill Hicks said:
"Go back to bed, America, your government has figured out how it all transpired, go back to bed America, your government is in control again. Here, here's American Gladiators, watch this, shut up, go back to bed America, here is American Gladiators, here is 56 channels of it, watch these pituitary retards bang their fucking skulls together and congratulate you on living in the land of freedom. Here you go America—you are free... to do as we tell you! You are free... to do as we tell you!"

Aiteal

Can't get enough of FH
I think it was an English journalist who came in for a lot of stick recently when he took a camera crew around the area, it was funny to see strip clubs closer to this most sacred of places than the proposed site of the mosque.

Poor 'limey bastard' got crucified by the US media for daring to point out the hypocrisy of the right-wing christians getting offended by somewhere people can pray to the same god they believe in, but not batting an eyelid at the wank booths that were much closer to the Alamo mark II.

I think Ozzy needs to get drunk and be caught pissing up against the ruins in one of Sharon's dresses in a reprise of his previous shenanigans.

soze

I am a FH squatter
I think its in bad taste even if only 0.01% of Muslims are nutters who kill it was still Muslims that bombed the towers because of the Muslim faith. For that reason I would never try to put one anywhere near there out of good taste alone.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
They didn't bomb towers because of their faith though. They bombed the towers because extremists consider the west and america mainly as it's enemies. Considering the history of Us involvement in the Arab world, you can see why. Faith is just used to recruit and control.

Obama says it better, can't deny the guys got a way with words: Mr Obama also repeated his recent calls for unity, saying: "It was not a religion that attacked us that September day. It was al-Qaeda."

"We will not sacrifice the liberties we cherish or hunker down behind walls of suspicion and mistrust."

soze

I am a FH squatter
They didn't bomb towers because of their faith though. They bombed the towers because extremists consider the west and america mainly as it's enemies. Considering the history of Us involvement in the Arab world, you can see why. Faith is just used to recruit and control.

The Muslim faith is used as a tool get people to commit these acts, so I still think if i was a Cleric and setting up a Mosque i would stick well clear. What does it matter to Muslims if they are 1 block away or 20 blocks away from ground zero? So as it should not matter there is no reason to put it there as it will just cause problems.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
They really aren't that close though, in other news. Geert Wilders, the right wing crazy Dutch dude is for some reason going to be at the rally against the cultural centre this week.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
1. it's not being built at ground zero
2. it's not a mosque
3. the pentagon also got a plane flown into it on 9/11 and there is a muslim prayer room there as well... didn't hear any protests about that one.

4. OMG STFU it's CLEARLY fox news stirring up shit for the racist dumb fuckistan that is the republican base. l2news.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
I'm all for it as long as they suspend a 1000 ton wrecking ball to a wire that's
attached to one of the new towers and hangs over the Mosque.

The whenever the Mosque suddenly empties, we know the planes on on their way.

megadave

I am a FH squatter
1. it's not being built at ground zero
2. it's not a mosque
3. the pentagon also got a plane flown into it on 9/11 and there is a muslim prayer room there as well... didn't hear any protests about that one.

4. OMG STFU it's CLEARLY fox news stirring up shit for the racist dumb fuckistan that is the republican base. l2news.
i was going to post this basically

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
As a comprimise, maybe they could just change all the wank booths to point towards Mecca?

But basically they should get to build the mosque. Its the prejudice that people hang onto that does the damage. This is media hype looking for a bogeyman badguy to wind people up about nothing. Educating the locals about muslims will do more good than harm in the long run.

EDIT: Ok not a mosque but you get the idea. They should be free to get one with it without prejudice.

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
Why can't they build their mosque somewhere else? Does it have to be that close to Ground Zero? From my point of view it is clearly an attempt to annoy the Americans

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
cokenose, did you not read the posts pointing out it's not a mosque? Why should it annoy Americans? Aren't they the land of the free?

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Well no one is, but they like to believe so more than any other nation :)

CorNokZ

cokenose, did you not read the posts pointing out it's not a mosque? Why should it annoy Americans? Aren't they the land of the free?

bbc says it's a mosque aswell as everyone else does? And why it annoys Americans? Why don't you ask them instead of me? I'm not the one protesting and threatening with Qur'an burnings..

nath

Fledgling Freddie
As has been said before a) it's not a mosque, b) it's not on ground zero.

OK
A) It's an Islamic community centre with a prayer room, that's quite different from a mosque. I find it quite depressing that right-wing media of America has been so successful in re-branding it to make it more offensive to American sensibilities.

B) It's 2 blocks from Ground Zero - I dunno if you country bumpkins realise this, but in a city like New York, that may as well be the other side of Manhattan. 2 blocks *sounds* close, so it's been jumped on.

The best explanation for the outrage that I've seen is that it was a tactic by the republicans to cover up their voting down the closing of a tax loophole (allowing American businesses to avoid paying tax due to off shore shenanigans) the surplus for which would be used to pay for healthcare for 9/11 rescue workers who developed conditions AS A DIRECT result of working that day. Fumes and other such nasties they breathed in presumably resulting in respiratory problems and the like.

Let me say that again, the democrats wanted to pay for healthcare for the RESCUE WORKERS THAT DEVELOPED HEALTH CONDITIONS AS A RESULT OF 9/11. The republicans shot it down. They shot it down. Then, magically, this hoo-hah about the "mosque" (it's not a fucking mosque) comes along to take away attention from the self-serving ***** that the republicans were showing themselves up to be.

Frankly I'm amazed that basically everywhere has taken to calling it a mosque thus playing right in to the propaganda.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Apologies for the tone of the previous message. The fact that the republican/fox news spin-doctors have been so *monumentally* successful at naming this the "Ground Zero Mosque" when it's neither of those things really does wind me up something rotten.

CorNokZ

Have too much of a migraine to start discussing this and probably won't return to the discussion

I just find it weird that it has to be right next to Ground Zero. Just like I found it weird that some Dane had to draw Muhammed..

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Have too much of a migraine to start discussing this and probably won't return to the discussion

I just find it weird that it has to be right next to Ground Zero. Just like I found it weird that some Dane had to draw Muhammed..

It's not right next to ground zero, it's two blocks away. It's likely that the only reason it's become an issue is because fox news and the republicans wanted to take attention away from the healthcare for heroes bill. This story has been totally over inflated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom