Do you play with DAoC like a FPS (han on the mouse), or are you a keyboard player?

Kokelimonkelmedisin

Fledgling Freddie
Just wondering :)

Iv been playing with the keyboard only for the longest time, and Iv got quite the hang of tapping F8 till I get the right targets, (I can usaly preduct forehand how many taps Il need to pick the right when I see the targets infront of me...) couse I use the mouse fomr time to time but only to target at dinstance (Wich is a wee bit clumbersome)

Anyhow IM trying to level now and I thought it might be a good idea to learn to play with one hand one the mouse, like a FPS.. But its prooving rather clumbersome as tehre are so many buttons that I want to keep my finger over (wich I cant mannage with 1 hand :) )... I find myselves having trouble switching bars, and kiting is a pain :p... and I can forget about chatting while I fight :( Maybe I just need more training?

How do YOU do it?

Tay

Grumpy old fecker
Kokelimonkelmedisin said:
Just wondering :)

Iv been playing with the keyboard only for the longest time, and Iv got quite the hang of tapping F8 till I get the right targets, (I can usaly preduct forehand how many taps Il need to pick the right when I see the targets infront of me...) couse I use the mouse fomr time to time but only to target at dinstance (Wich is a wee bit clumbersome)

Anyhow IM trying to level now and I thought it might be a good idea to learn to play with one hand one the mouse, like a FPS.. But its prooving rather clumbersome as tehre are so many buttons that I want to keep my finger over (wich I cant mannage with 1 hand :) )... I find myselves having trouble switching bars, and kiting is a pain :p... and I can forget about chatting while I fight :( Maybe I just need more training?

How do YOU do it?

Mouse always done it that way, in fact default keys for me work quite nicely to the way I play, some changes obviously.

Gorel-Truesight

Fledgling Freddie
mouse and Nostromo N52

15 programable buttons + gamepad + mouse, means i only touch the keyboard to talk to people

Archeon

Fledgling Freddie
Typically i'l use the mouse more than the keyboard in situations which don't require me to react too quickly (e.g. PvE raids, etc) to press castbar buttons, to scroll and all that. Generally because it takes less effort on my part, and like i said - i've got no reason to rush.

However, in RvR i tend to use my keyboard more for spells and stuff because its quicker, i still use the mouse for targetting though (can't afford to do an F8 fortehwin when your being gang raped by an assist train :D )

oblimov

Luver of Buckfast
I use mouse to loook about and keys to move and get targets

how can you look about without mouse?

AngryKid

Fledgling Freddie
I have gathered all the buttons I really need on left side of the keyboard so I have all the keys close when rvr'ing. I have mouselook on right mousebutton, and pan on tilde. | button. The only thing I wish I had, was a numpad thing on my left hand. Or, since I have a natural keyboard, I wish I had two rows of numbers right above my left hand.. hehe :) That would work like a charm.

Fragoverrule

One of Freddy's beloved
Keyboard/ mo-use here.. mouse for looking and picking targets .. WASD for moving around

Light

Loyal Freddie
Kokelimonkelmedisin said:
I find myselves having trouble switching bars...

some of myselves use keyboard/mouse, some of us just use keyboards :D

myyyy preeeciouuussss .. .. .. . . init!

Treon

Fledgling Freddie
Fragoverrule said:
Keyboard/ mo-use here.. mouse for looking and picking targets .. WASD for moving around

same for me, its the best one :clap:

-Freezingwiz-

Fledgling Freddie
mouse + keyboard ... pretty hard to play a nuker w/o mouse to taget unless u are in "afk /assist some1 random and kill" mode

PJS

Fledgling Freddie
F8 only works close range (and usually sticks on 2 targets). GL playing CC class w/o mouse :).

Oh and anyone who leaves it bound in that useless part of the keyboard is a muppet :p, mine is E.

I play in a FPS way. Anything non quickbar bound to left of keyboard, movement, bindable / commands, etc. RDFG layout.

Everything else is mouse, looking, targeting, qbar, spells. Ive started moving qbar to below centre to minimise movement. Playing melee I tend to use keys when I need to do backup styles because its slightly quicker than mouse.

Teren

One of Freddy's beloved
i play all my classes with keyb/mouse

ESDF for moving
Q last attacker
A attack
W sit
C face
V stick
CTRL mouselook

and everything else i do with mouse:
click hotbar
click targets (as i mostly play casters)
etc

walk around usually with mouse look for better control (i use esdf + mouselook, uber control)

Garax

Fledgling Freddie
UHJK to move about
Y - target nearest attacker
I - stick
L - face
, - draw weapon
V - Mouse Look
C - Sit
G - Grab Loot
O - Target Loot
Mouse Button 2 - Strafe

Could do with being able to move camera pan a bit closer, but last time i checked i couldnt reconfigure it :mad:

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Mouse to look about and target, mouselook at right mousebutton, zoom on mousewheel.

RDFG: movement
T: draw weapon
Y: sprint
H: jump
Z: stick
E: closest target
Q: autorun
N: sit
B: will be "down" in ToA underwater-swiming (jump is up)

Keep chat/gameinfo window in lower middle part of screen and qbar on top of that. Chat is 7 lines high and gameinfo is 9 lines high.

PJS

Fledgling Freddie
Garax said:
Could do with being able to move camera pan a bit closer, but last time i checked i couldnt reconfigure it :mad:
Check again mine is rebound to X currently :clap:

Silverblast

One of Freddy's beloved
Fragoverrule said:
Switched to this when I got my new bluetooth (non broken in half microsoft keyboard :p) keyboard . Anyhow for those of you wondering how I use to be able to play without a mouse (before I changed keyboard settings), you can select with your spacebar and F8, ofcourse in rvr I used my mouse etc ^^ ..

Shafu

Fledgling Freddie
left hand:
wasd: movement
e: nearest enemy
q: autorun
ctrl: mouselook
2 and 3: face and stick (can't get used to not having these on qbar :))

right hand:
on mouse for (mouselook) movement and ranged target selection.
when Im (fighting) stationary, I move my right hand to 7 through 0 on the keyboard (qbar).

Kokelimonkelmedisin

Fledgling Freddie
Shafu said:
left hand:
wasd: movement
e: nearest enemy
q: autorun
ctrl: mouselook
2 and 3: face and stick (can't get used to not having these on qbar :))

right hand:
on mouse for (mouselook) movement and ranged target selection.
when Im (fighting) stationary, I move my right hand to 7 through 0 on the keyboard (qbar).

hehe seemes like fps style is the only way to go :)

Guess I just have to get used to it so that I will be able to do stuff faster, (can see a weakness over pure keyboard in that I dont have every key hat hand at all times, so sometimes I loose out on a sec or 2 of time to move my finger or the mouse :) )

On a sidenote tho, anyone know if its possible to dissable capslock??
(So that you can still use the button ingame but it wont make big letters after u have pressed it, as I currently have autorun on this that would be great :) )

swords

Can't get enough of FH
Mines a wierd setup.

i actually use the direaction arrow buttons for movement.
but since im a cleric i spend most of the time clicking autorun for movement then simply using bound face to cast.
i use mouse for targeting and for certain spells.

Aerisa

Fledgling Freddie
WSAD: movement/turning
Z and C: strafing
X: sit
E: autorun
Q: jump
F: combat mode
V: target nearest
B: sprint
Ctrl: mouselook

Mouse: for qb, styles, and harder targetting

would like to change it so i have more buttons near for face/stick etc but hard time reconfig with caps lock and shift unusable.

Gorbash

One of Freddy's beloved
default keys all the way for me, not a single one changed. i use arrow keys for moving back and forward, and hit ctrl with me pinky for toggling mouselook on, other than that, i dont use the keyboard for anything other than typing. i use the mouse to click on the enemies to target, and also to click on the quickbar :) no shortcuts used whatsover...

.....hmm, maybe THATS why im shyte :p

Vodkafairy

Fledgling Freddie
Default setup really, arrows keys to move around a bit but usually I have control pressed to enable mouselook. When inc I realease control, try to target the sorc/healer and mezz.

delete = face
end = stick
page down = sprint

With my ns in combat I switch teh hand on my mouse to the numbers to do the styles. I hardly use wasd cus I'm not a strafer :p

gunner440

Hey Daddy Altman
mouse to look around

left button = standard select
right button = move forwards
a = backwards
s = strafe left
d = strafe right !

Wildfire

Fledgling Freddie
WASD = movement/strafing
M = mouselook (should change this sometime but its instinctive now)
Q = combat stance
E = sprint
R = reply
T = nearest target
F = torch
V = stick
Mouse2 = /face
. = sit
Space = jump
F9 = nearest object
F10 = get object (spam f9-10 near objects to fast-loot)

Typical WASD setup really, borne of playing FPS games for too long. The only real issues: /stick which ive only recently bound a key to (having only recently started playing a tank class) - and is subsequently a bit awkward to use quickly. The other one is having M on the far side of the keyboard and having to be tapping it all the time to target and then move in RvR. Again though, it's a force of habit and I think I'd struggle if I tried remapping it now.

edit: Just tried - playing with the keyboard only would be impossible for a caster class in RvR. Well, it's possible, but you'd be a shite player.

Haruh

Fledgling Freddie
Movement: WASD
Nearest Enemy: Q
Attack Mode: E
Reply: R
Torch: T
Target Item: F
M: Mouselook (a bit far away, but I'm way to used of it to change it)
§: Camera
Pick up Item: G (spam FG fortehwin)
Alt: toggle strafe
Ctrl: Jump
Space: Open Doors
C: sit
H: use item.
NumPad 0:Autorun

etc.etc.

Brynn

Can't get enough of FH
WASD for moving. Mouse button 3 for stick, mouse 4 for face.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
i use mouse to select targets and keyboard to perform my skills as tank once i have a target, arrow keys to move around in rvr

PVE i tend to stick to keybaord only

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom