Film Do you have a blu-ray player?

Do you have a blu-ray player?

• Yes

Votes: 47 56.0%
  • No

Votes: 37 44.0%

• Total voters

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Just wondered what the demographics were on the forum.

(PS3 counts as a player)

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
I've got a make-shift one which I use (PS3) BR/720p+ is quite nice compared to SD stuff.

Uara

Part of the furniture
No i dont, altho I do plan on getting one in the not too distant future. But need to look into them a bit first

old.user4556

PS3 counts as a blu-ray player btw (for poll purposes) :)

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
No, I came very close to buying a PS3 then I looked at the release schedule and decided against it. When I can be arsed I will be buying a 3.5 Blue ray drive for my PC media centre.

Cyradix

FH is my second home
PS3 here.
The latest standalone blu-ray players are very good too, but the PS3 is just a great media center :D

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
I have a Sharp BD-HP20H, it's quite a nice machine, it was a bit messy to make it region free though, required about 10 attempts to flash the firmware properly.

Persoinally if you are thinking of investing in blu ray, I would look at something that is natively region free now, there are a few out there.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Voted yes as it's in my PC, although my PC is my main viewing platform. Monitor is HD, my TV is older than I am :D

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Yeah ps3, and if I did not have a ps3 I would have a seperate BD player. Only buy new movies on BD now, and a few choice old ones as well.

Also, G if you can edit the poll, or get a friendly mod to, would be interesting to know who actually has a HD audio capable a/v receiver to compliment it.

SawTooTH

Can't get enough of FH
A PS3 but thats in my bedroom attached to my PC monitor so I have a Sony BR player on my telly.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I dont have a HDTV so no point getting blu ray.

But then is there any real point getting blu-ray? Upscaling DVD palyers or streaming from a PC/Internet is the way forward isnt it?

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Yes, a PS3. Still don't think BluRay movies are worth the premium over DVD though, and have only bought a handful. Only place I've really seen the benefit of HD consistently is watching sport; hit the red button to get ITV HD when the footy is on and the difference is dramatic.

Cyradix

FH is my second home
Also, G if you can edit the poll, or get a friendly mod to, would be interesting to know who actually has a HD audio capable a/v receiver to compliment it.

Yup, bought a HD receiver (Denon 1909) too. The HD/lossless tracks are amazing.... loving it! The neighbours not so much... :D

JingleBells

FH is my second home
No, I rarely watch DVDs as it is, my PC is my gaming platform as well as my TV (tuner + monitor) so I don't see the point of a PS3

ECA

I am a FH squatter
no bluray player why bother.

Until we have a steam distribution style system for films and music ( that isnt drm'd to shit ) and the internet connections to support downloads fuck that shit. ( at reasonable prices fuck paying £20 for downloads when the disc and distribution network to support it is cut out - I'm not paying for extra money in the studios pocket ).

internets will do me fine until then.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Honestly? I really don't see the point in buying one. I paid a fortune for a nice collection of DVDs, and now I'm expected to pay again for the same films.

I still have a CRT, it won't be replaced until it blows up.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
I have to. All the best games come on BlueRay now ;)

old.user4556

Until we have a steam distribution style system for films and music ( that isnt drm'd to shit ) and the internet connections to support downloads fuck that shit.

Agreed, I look forward to the day when all you need is a server with multiple 1TB disks connected to a phat fiber pipe that allows you full HD movies within a reasonable time.

I don't see that for a while though, blu-ray will be with us for quite a while (for full HD content that is).

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Got a PS3 but no Bluray films and no plans to buy any.

soze

I am a FH squatter
PS3 here. And on the right film the difference between upscaled dvd and a blu ray is huge. Iorn Man is one film that looks great on blu ray. So do not look much different though Underworld and 300 are 2 that i have noticed.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
For those put off by pricing, I have only paid over £15 for a couple of my BD's, most have been between £10 and £15, which is comparable to new release dvd titles. Granted some of the pricing is stupid, and the sale prices are not as good as dvd and will not be for a long time.

ramathorn

Fledgling Freddie
got one on my sony laptop, the quality is just unreal although there is no way in hell i am gonna pay 20 quid for a dvd. me and some mates renting from lovefilm, for the price of one blue-ray you can get like 10 - 20 movies a month, or more dependning onhow fast you can watch em.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
PS3 here and 10 bluray films.

Matrix 1-3 + Animatrix
Blade Runner: Final Edition
Starship Trooper
Iron Man
Sunshine
Wall-E
Underworld

I only buy a film on bluray if having it in HD brings something more to the film. To quote myself from another thread here...
SD content shows well, transmitted HD content looks great, bluray HD content looks phenomenal.
My example is the film "Sunshine". I have it on DVD and bluray, and I've also seen it on SkyMovies HD (remember, all HD content on Sky is sent down as 1080i, it downscales it for 720p). The DVD version is very good, but looks slightly blurry when directly compared with the SkyMovies HD version. This isn't because it's crap quality on DVD, just that the step up in visual quality is immediately noticeable.
Then I compared the SkyHD version with the bluray playing on the PS3. NO CONTEST! The bluray version was clearer and sharper with better colour definition. The stand out scene is where Capa is in the Earth Room playing the simulation of deploying the bomb. On DVD you can see the computer models, on SkyHD you can see the gridlines making the computer models, on bluray you can read the tiny text alongside each model. :)
Yes I pay the £10 premium for HD channels on Sky but I reckon I get my money's worth instead of a subscription to Lovefilm.

Ono

Part of the furniture
Have PS3 and a SOny BDP350 BD player.

Also have the great WD TV media player for Hi Def rips.

Aada

Part of the furniture
Got about 30 blurays so far 3 of favs:

Matrix box set

Band of Brothers, which by way just looks stunning in HD it really does look awesome.

Black Hawk Down, looks great again.

You can pick Blu Rays up for £10-15 each if you shop around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom