Django Unchained

leggy

Probably Scottish
Sorry to everyone who hasn't seen the movie... forgot to spoiler my post.... can someone please edit it :)

Thanks for heads up Scousey :)

leggy

Probably Scottish
I dunno why but I was kinda expecting you to tell me to go piss up a rope or something. :)

Probably because I come across as a mardy Jock twat who usually posts meaningless drivel :)

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
and you make the quotes database often because of this trait :)

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
np, I live to fulfil your every whimsy!

rynnor

Rockhound
Agree with ECA and Raven. 100%.

Neither do US inmates.

Or for that matter do the people that get punted onto the unemployment line as the US government gives contracts to companies who use US inmates to perform the jobs of the people they just sacked.

There's a good reason why it's illegal for us to use our prisoners to perform commercial jobs...

Utter crap tbh - the US dont generally stick the innocent in jail - no one is pre-destined to committ crimes.

Next you'll be saying they should be let out because it was societies fault.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
They shouldn't be forced into labour for private companies though. Certainly not without a fair reward (wage)

I am in two minds about whether they should be made to work for society though.

rynnor

Rockhound
They shouldn't be forced into labour for private companies though. Certainly not without a fair reward (wage).

Isnt it paying off some of the cost of keeping them imprisoned though - saving the taxpayer?

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Utter crap tbh - the US dont generally stick the innocent in jail - no one is pre-destined to committ crimes.

Although they do have more people incarcerated than any other country on Earth, by quite some margin. Which if you're in the free labour business, is convenient...

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Utter crap tbh - the US dont generally stick the innocent in jail

Two things:

1) We're not allowed to use our prisoners as slave labour. There are many many good reasons for this. One of them is quite glaring: the knock-on job losses amongst the non-prison population (which is a massive issue in the United States - and affects competition in the global economy, not just the US).

Another is that it gives the state a fiscal incentive to have ridiculously low bar for what is a prisonable offence - because there's a profit to be made with a large prison population. Which brings me to point 2.

2) The US has slightly less than 4.5% of the world's population. It has nearly 25% of the world's prison population.

Yep - nearly a quarter of all prisoners on the planet are making goods and products for companies, whilst incarcerated by the US government.

As for this:
Nope. I'm not saying that at all. I am a strong supporter of personal responsibility.

However, you seem to be labouring under the mistaken belief that crime and economics are unrelated. There's a well-established causal effect with the level of criminality and inequalities of wealth. This is undisputed by even the most hardline free market fundamentalists. So yes, "society" has a massive influence on crime and its causes.

Take a look at this. And bear in mind what happened to global economic policy in the 1980's:

350px-US_incarceration_timeline-clean-fixed-timescale.svg.png

I'd call that a massive jump in available slave labour myself...

Last edited:

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Isnt it paying off some of the cost of keeping them imprisoned though - saving the taxpayer?

Yes but why should private business benefit? If anything that would damage society even more by taking jobs away from people.

DaGaffer

Yes but why should private business benefit? If anything that would damage society even more by taking jobs away from people.

...who then are more likely to commit crime and become part of the free labour pool themselves. Nice virtuous circle for unscrupulous bastards.

rynnor

Rockhound
Hmm - keeps crashing when I try to reply to Scouses multi-qoute post?

rynnor

Rockhound
Copying bits out to notepad to stop crashes:

"1) We're not allowed to use our prisoners as slave labour. There are many many good reasons for this. One of them is quite glaring: the knock-on job losses amongst the non-prison population (which is a massive issue in the United States - and affects competition in the global economy, not just the US)."

Wouldn't it be better to use prisoners to fill jobs where we are currently granting visas for people to come here and work (paying pretty much no tax) or filling using immigrant labour (thereby straining housing/services etc.)?

Pay them minimum wage then dock for their prison costs - i.e. they receive 0 - that way it doesnt screw the jobs market.

Last edited:

rynnor

Rockhound
"2) The US has slightly less than 4.5% of the world's population. It has nearly 25% of the world's prison population."

Lets look at this - poor countries cant generally afford massive prisons so thats part of it. Next the US has mandatory life sentences for lots of serious crimes and over there life means life.

Its a decision their society has taken and is approved by the population - personally I would like a chunk of it over here - serial rapists etc. should never come out again.

Tuthmes

FH is my second home
"2) Lets look at this - poor countries cant generally afford massive prisons so thats part of it. Next the US has mandatory life sentences for lots of serious crimes and over there life means life.

Its a decision their society has taken and is approved by the population

Poor countries that cant afford prisons and populations making decisions. Jezus is alive too.

DaGaffer

"2) The US has slightly less than 4.5% of the world's population. It has nearly 25% of the world's prison population."

Lets look at this - poor countries cant generally afford massive prisons so thats part of it. Next the US has mandatory life sentences for lots of serious crimes and over there life means life.

Its a decision their society has taken and is approved by the population - personally I would like a chunk of it over here - serial rapists etc. should never come out again.

There reaches a point where you have to look at your society and say "how come we have so many people in prison? Is it making us safer compared to other countries? It isn't? Well why are we doing it then?" There's something seriously fucked up about a country that has more black men in prison than college.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
There's something seriously fucked up about rynnors logic if he can't take all the information in my post with the graph and add the things together to make a wholistic argument - considering what's already been posted addresses his later posts... :(

rynnor

Rockhound
There's something seriously fucked up about rynnors logic if he can't take all the information in my post with the graph and add the things together to make a wholistic argument - considering what's already been posted addresses his later posts... :(

You dont agree - fair enough - but are you suggesting that only your opinion can possibly be right now - for shame Scouse, for shame...

So much for freedom of speech.

rynnor

Rockhound
There reaches a point where you have to look at your society and say "how come we have so many people in prison? Is it making us safer compared to other countries? It isn't? Well why are we doing it then?" There's something seriously fucked up about a country that has more black men in prison than college.

Yes - I think we could do with proper sentences over here but the US has some ridiculous sentencing and seems to make little effort at rehabilitation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom