Django Unchained

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Been looking forward to this for a while but the trailer is definitely a bit meh.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Thought it was excellent.

megadave

I am a FH squatter
It's relentless Tarantino, if you like Inglorious basterds you'll like it.

ileks

Part of the furniture
Yeah it's a good film. Samuel L Jackson's character is funny as fuck.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Actually loved this film. SLJ's character was probably one of my favourite performances in ages. Proper good movie, if the GF comes to visit I'll probs go see it again.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
SLJ's lost a lot of weight for the movie. Looks a bit meh. I'll catch it on torrents.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
just watched it, SLJ's character is fucking amazing, funny as hell.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
if you like Inglorious basterds you'll like it.

On Inglorious Basterds: I liked the filmmaking craft, I liked the acting, directing, look and feel of the film.

But the film itself was self indulgent chod and, worse and actually importantly, makes the case that it's OK to murder Germans in the most abhorrent ways if you're Jewish - rather than making the case for justice against Nazi's.

I think if it was any other demographic the media would have been up in arms tbfh.

Anyway, I'm tempted with Django Unchained - it's been a long time since I've seen Tarantino in the cinema.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I found Inglorious Basterds deeply offensive and really hope Django is nothing like it.

ileks

Part of the furniture
On Inglorious Basterds: I liked the filmmaking craft, I liked the acting, directing, look and feel of the film.

But the film itself was self indulgent chod and, worse and actually importantly, makes the case that it's OK to murder Germans in the most abhorrent ways if you're Jewish - rather than making the case for justice against Nazi's.

I think if it was any other demographic the media would have been up in arms tbfh.

Anyway, I'm tempted with Django Unchained - it's been a long time since I've seen Tarantino in the cinema.

I remember thinking the same coming out of the cinema after seeing Inglorious Basterds.

Django is a bit like that. Tarantino does his usual in depicting the bad guys in a kind of OTT or crude way so the audience don't feel bad when they are inevitably slaughtered (some even laugh).

Django is a far better film though. The story is far more interesting and some of the characters are great.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Went to see this today with my 3 month old baby girl. She slept through it all.
I thought it was very good. It is almost a bit like a cartoon feel but violent and gruesome.
The kkk bit was quite amusing.

:Awesome:

DaGaffer

Hated inglorious bastards, loved Django :confused:

This. Loved it. Where the Jewish wish fulfilment in Inglorious Basterds just ended up being ridiculous and frankly, offensive (mainly to Jews), the black wish fulfilment in this was perfect. Interestingly, I think Cristoph Waltz was the best thing in both films.

One thing:
what the fuck was that accent Tarantino was trying to do? Australian? South African?

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I settled on Australian...only because one of the others was Australian.

rynnor

Rockhound
The sub-text in this film is the Northern States using historic slavery as a way of making themselves feel better and continuing a hollywood meme of 'the south are evil/degenerate'.

DaGaffer

The sub-text in this film is the Northern States using historic slavery as a way of making themselves feel better and continuing a hollywood meme of 'the south are evil/degenerate'.

Since there was almost no reference to the Northern states at any point in the film (one oblique reference right at the beginning), I'd say you're reaching a bit there. Frankly you'd have more of a case if you were talking about Lincoln.

NB. There's no getting away from the fact the antebellum South was one of the last places on Earth to continue the slave trade (only Brazil kept it longer), and the legacy of the slave trade in the south took nearly 100 years to be addressed head on, and when it was, most of the "white folks" doing the addressing were northerners. The American South doesn't exactly give itself the best PR, even to this day.

rynnor

Rockhound
NB. There's no getting away from the fact the antebellum South was one of the last places on Earth to continue the slave trade (only Brazil kept it longer), and the legacy of the slave trade in the south took nearly 100 years to be addressed head on, and when it was, most of the "white folks" doing the addressing were northerners. The American South doesn't exactly give itself the best PR, even to this day.

Isnt that largely down to climate though? Cotton grows better in the climate of the south eastern states so thats where the plantations went and those were reliant on a huge labour force to pick the cotton - slaves filled that labour requirement and cotton was a very lucrative crop.

You could say the North had far less to lose (financially) so it was pretty easy for them to free their relatively few slaves compared to the whole South Eastern economy which was propped up by their labour.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
The slave trade still exists, it's just strictly homegrown in the us. See prison industrial complex for details.

rynnor

Rockhound
The slave trade still exists, it's just strictly homegrown in the us. See prison industrial complex for details.

You are arguing effectively that all men are not equal and that anyone born into poverty has no choice but crime - I do not personally agree.

DaGaffer

Isnt that largely down to climate though? Cotton grows better in the climate of the south eastern states so thats where the plantations went and those were reliant on a huge labour force to pick the cotton - slaves filled that labour requirement and cotton was a very lucrative crop.

You could say the North had far less to lose (financially) so it was pretty easy for them to free their relatively few slaves compared to the whole South Eastern economy which was propped up by their labour.

Interesting argument, but the Caribbean slave trade (except Cuba) was ended long before the American Civil War, so the argument doesn't really wash. The British and French managed to carry on making money from sugar without slavery (and I'm not saying that was a smooth process, it certainly wasn't; the number of slaves per capita in the Caribbean was way higher than in the southern US), and while cotton was a lucrative crop for the internal American market, because it was picked by slaves the Americans struggled to export it; the British cheated and took it via Canada or the Caribbean - hypocrites; but it also stimulated the Indian cotton trade because the British (and European) consumer was quite anti-slavery by mid-nineteenth century. It was also the main thing that stopped Britain and France recognising the CSA during the Civil War; both countries wanted to (because it would have weakened the US) but it would have been a PR disaster domestically because of the slavery issue.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
You are arguing effectively that all men are not equal and that anyone born into poverty has no choice but crime - I do not personally agree.

Please, don't be so uninformed.

rynnor

Rockhound
Raven said:
No he isn't.

A slave has no freedom of self determination.

To say a man who has freedom has no self determination is to say he is less than a man because he is doomed to walk blindly to his predetermined fate.

So yes he is.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Yeah, except that isn't what he said.

leggy

Probably Scottish
Loved it. And Christoph Waltz made the film for me.

I was genuinely upset when he was shot... and amused at the same time. I'm usually impressed with his character acting but he was outstanding in Django.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Agree with ECA and Raven. 100%.

A slave has no freedom of self determination

Neither do US inmates.

Or for that matter do the people that get punted onto the unemployment line as the US government gives contracts to companies who use US inmates to perform the jobs of the people they just sacked.

There's a good reason why it's illegal for us to use our prisoners to perform commercial jobs...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom