Discussion: Why do people think strafing is lame?

Yurka

One of Freddy's beloved
got no problem with it, tanks use run through against casters, casters can strafe back tanks...

just seems like an added 'thing' in the game, like bunnyhopping is to a fps game

Eregion

Fledgling Freddie
The way i see it, positional styles are in this game for a reason..
Regarding 1vs1 it adds some 'spice' to the fight, just standing toe-to-toe and rely 100% on gear/spec is boring.
Not like it's impossible to hit a strafer if you know what you're doing.

Ging

Part of the furniture
its easy to combat, walk backwards and strafe to the side and get in sidestyle - practice abit and u will no longer have any trouble.

Jjuraa

Banned
strafing should stay imo, yah its not an "intended" feature as such, but tbh it cant be used to gain an unfair advantage. only an idiot would stand there and get "out of view" "out of view". i invite you to try and strafe vs my blademaster and win the fight

Eregion

Fledgling Freddie
Actually i love it when ppl start strafing vs me when i play bm, instead of just turning and sprint away to 'abuse' melee lag. :p

D

Doom

the only times i find strafing is by definition 'lame' is when used by

a) bonedancers that can still lifetap
b) casters with ml9 pets

tho, nowadays anyone can strafe because of lag, but (iirc) pre-toa it was actually a bit harder to strafe successfully :f

necromania

Can't get enough of FH
Jjuraa said:
strafing should stay imo, yah its not an "intended" feature as such, but tbh it cant be used to gain an unfair advantage. only an idiot would stand there and get "out of view" "out of view". i invite you to try and strafe vs my blademaster and win the fight

its easy to beat strafers as a BM no doubt there.

but in a caster vs melee. the melee char will gain an UNFAIR advantage when strafing/walkthrough, as 90% of all the spells from the caster will fail... :)

Aiteal

Can't get enough of FH
Doom said:

You ever played on a crappy connection?

I have, I went from 10meg cable to a half meg adsl after moving home.
When I was 10meg, straffers didnt bother me, thanks to my connection speed it was very easily countered, when I was on the half meg connection I had one fight against an inf that ran-thru and straffed and after looking over my log, he was out of view for 8 of my 11 swings, and there was really very little I could do about it.

I'm back on a 4meg connection now, and I'm having less problems against straffers.
Stealthers that strafe in 1 on 1's annoy me the most tbh, rangers who sidestrafe to get off the stun, and hunters that run thru to get off the rear stun, if they can't pull of those moves from stealth to open a fight, tough shit imo.

If people wanna test my reaction times, come around and play tekken against me, and I'll show you all the chain combos of nina williams that start with the block/grapple, if they wanna test my internet connection's reaction time, they can ping my IP address.
People who think it's skilled to strafe and run thru are usually doing it safe behind a good net connection.

Having said all that, i run thru like a right hypocritical bastard on lifetapping classes :)

illu

Part of the furniture
I have heard that in World of Warcraft, you cannot /stick to people so fights are a bit more "hectic".

I know for a fact if I couldn't /stick, I'd be struggling because of the amount of buttons I have to press, the amount of weapons I'm using, and it would be a lot harder to pull off some moves from behind. But, I suppose I would adapt.

Strafing I think comes about from being able to /stick. For people who play DAOC and WoW, what do they prefer? Are fights a lot more random in WoW? Do you get many "enemy not in view" messages or "enemy not in range"?

Oli - Illu

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
No, exploiting weak game code is not lame. It's utilitzing your own skill potential.

Shagging the gf of your best friend is not lame either. It's utilitzing your own skill potential.

And yes, AWP-bunny-hop-strafing exists in real world too, so this is also not considered lame and ofc it's utilitzing your own skill potential.

Kids :).

illu

Part of the furniture
necromania said:
its easy to beat strafers as a BM no doubt there.

but in a caster vs melee. the melee char will gain an UNFAIR advantage when strafing/walkthrough, as 90% of all the spells from the caster will fail... :)

The caster only needs to land 10% of his spells to make you eat grass :>

But seriously, as a caster, you can't counter strafing by walking backwards because your spells will fail, and someone beating on you will stop spells casting. Is MoC or quickcast root/stun/mezz the only way out of it? I know stajjijjion usually does an insta Speedwarp out of his butt and builds up his range like that, and everyone knows any kind of range that opens up between you and a caster = death :/ So if a caster has MoC and quickcast down - are they deadmeat?
BTW what is that purple instaspell that super slows you down which isn't a stun or a mezz? I know this seems to be another way for casters that escape.

Oli - Illu

D

Doom

Manisch Depressiv in a sarcastic manner said:
No, exploiting weak game code is not lame.

is there a difference between weak code, and weak abilities? if you are to compare strafing vs ml9-pets for example?

Jjuraa

Banned
necromania said:

from a melee point of view, the only time you really see strafing/walkthrough is when the caster has moced/quickcasting.

whenever i play a caster and theres a meleer on me so i need to quickcast,i always come off /face, and use mouselook when i cast, this way i can "overcompensate" when they try to runthrough, meaning i nearly always land my spell, also remember that when a melee'r is running through, hes not hitting you much either.

as for moc. the only time i ever see moc used on a meleer is when its moc-lifetap. which is so unfair anyway that il runthrough just to piss you off for playing easymode :)

Ging

Part of the furniture
illu said:
I have heard that in World of Warcraft, you cannot /stick to people so fights are a bit more "hectic".

no offence olli, people who /stick in fights are asking for a swift death. If your on stick your allowing your opponent to take u where he wants and you will always be reacting to his movement rather than being on the offensive. The amount of times ive dropped assist trains off wall using lag because they /stick :)

Jjuraa

Banned
Ging said:
no offence olli, people who /stick in fights are asking for a swift death. If your on stick your allowing your opponent to take u where he wants and you will always be reacting to his movement rather than being on the offensive. The amount of times ive dropped assist trains off wall using lag because they /stick :)

true in a way, but /stick is still a powerful ally to the more thoughtful melee user. not so much in 1v1 fights, but from a fg vs fg point of view. i mean youre going to have a hell of a job keeping up with kiters using your movement keys, as well as landing positionals. yes, its possible to lag people /stuck to you off cliffs etc, but so long as youve got two braincells its easy enough to work out when you should and shouldnt stick

UriZeN

Fledgling Freddie
Aiteal said:
You ever played on a crappy connection?

I have, I went from 10meg cable to a half meg adsl after moving home.
When I was 10meg, straffers didnt bother me, thanks to my connection speed it was very easily countered, when I was on the half meg connection I had one fight against an inf that ran-thru and straffed and after looking over my log, he was out of view for 8 of my 11 swings, and there was really very little I could do about it.

I'm back on a 4meg connection now, and I'm having less problems against straffers.
Stealthers that strafe in 1 on 1's annoy me the most tbh, rangers who sidestrafe to get off the stun, and hunters that run thru to get off the rear stun, if they can't pull of those moves from stealth to open a fight, tough shit imo.

If people wanna test my reaction times, come around and play tekken against me, and I'll show you all the chain combos of nina williams that start with the block/grapple, if they wanna test my internet connection's reaction time, they can ping my IP address.
People who think it's skilled to strafe and run thru are usually doing it safe behind a good net connection.

Having said all that, i run thru like a right hypocritical bastard on lifetapping classes :)

im on a 384 dsl connection and i have absolutely no problem with strafing not even 2 months b4 when i was on 64k isdn so cut the conection issue crap! it's either u know or dont know how to strafe! if u do then u should now that timing is the key issue not lag!

Aiteal

Can't get enough of FH
UriZeN said:
im on a 384 dsl connection and i have absolutely no problem with strafing not even 2 months b4 when i was on 64k isdn so cut the conection issue crap! it's either u know or dont know how to strafe! if u do then u should now that timing is the key issue not lag!

You're right, Im incapable of holding down one extra key whilst fighting for just long enough to get to the side but not long enough to get the 'you were straffing in combat' message.

Keep telling yourself it's a skill, and has nothing to do with how long it takes packets to reach the server from your PC and be resent to the other guys PC.

You know what's weird?
It dosnt work on mobs, that should tell you all you need to know.
But I guess mob's in PvE are all have uber anti-strafe and face skillzzz, nothing to do with them not being subject to the same laggy communication delays that distributed players are.

I've been writting server to server communication code for almost 7 years now, don't try and tell me how to suck eggs.

UriZeN

Fledgling Freddie
Aiteal said:
You're right, Im incapable of holding down one extra key whilst fighting for just long enough to get to the side but not long enough to get the 'you were straffing in combat' message.

no ur incapable of timing ur styles with ur swing timer in order not to get an oov message or strafing in combat message.

Aiteal said:
Keep telling yourself it's a skill, and has nothing to do with how long it takes packets to reach the server from your PC and be resent to the other guys PC.

ofc it is since there is no worse conditions than strafe or beeing strafed with a 64k isdn.

Aiteal said:
You know what's weird?
It dosnt work on mobs, that should tell you all you need to know.
But I guess mob's in PvE are all have uber anti-strafe and face skillzzz, nothing to do with them not being subject to the same laggy communication delays that distributed players are.

this issue exists from day 1 the fact that some ppl found out that exploiting it helps u in melee combat doesnt make it lame since EVERYONE can learn how to do it!

Aiteal said:
I've been writting server to server communication code for almost 7 years now, don't try and tell me how to suck eggs.

i dont disagree with u on packet transfer issue i just said that lag isnt the key issue for the fact that some ppl get cunted down by strafers. melee lag exists for everyone smart ppl learn to exploit it and stupid ppl die from it end of story. and i guess u alrady know how to suck eggs no need for me to teach u!

Mirt

One of Freddy's beloved
For me strafing is just part of the game.

Spiraling can be a bit irriatating, but if you break /stick and /face and turn manually you can usually hit them.

Vodkafairy

Fledgling Freddie
i love strafe, adds a second dimension to fights that usually are mindless buttonspamming. i love it when a good strafer does it back to me, or a strong hunter doing runthrough to try and land the backstyle

Beltorak

Fledgling Freddie
I have minor problem on getting rid of a melee char. Its to actualy heal while u have 2 bms/zerker on you and no moc up that it is skill. The 10+ hib stealth party club at dc bridge usually gets me :drink:

edit Remove any snare style from the game ffs !!

Ronso

Can't get enough of FH
Ill be honest and say I strafe with my nightshade versus other tanks ...normally if I fight another stealth class Ill just go toe to toe with them but Ill strafe as much as possible if I jump a heavy tank . Yes its true while I strafe if the opponent doesnt react properly he or she wont even hit me but I actually strafe to get certain styles off.

If I evade a large weapon attack from someone and I go to do my diamonback stun style and I fumble it ..I immediatelty strafe to his side hoping his reactions arent quick enough so I get another shot at doing the diamond back.

I know some people ..maybe even the majority of people see this as lame but I dont ..thats just my opinion .However I think casters that cant melee style shouldnt strafe as its for the sole purpose of abusing a tanks dmg ..

I know its completly hypocritical so I dont expect casters to stand still or anything but I do agree with tanks strafing considering that a caster does anytime damage or anytime heals where as tanks have positionals that turn the tide of battle so to speak .

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
it's lame imo because your ability to strafe and how damaging it is depends rather a lot on your net connection/computer speed, plus tiny bits of lag and you're getting "out of view" even when you are actually facing them on your screen.

I guess that's my main problem with it - I can have an enemy directly in front of me on my screen (well, ok so they're warping left and right but at the time I get around to hitting they _look_ like they're in front of me) but not be able to hit them - the actual position of the opponent on screen thanks to latency is not where the server thinks they are, strafing around exacerbates this problem.

If you could just point your character at theirs and have it reliable it'd be fine (e.g. like a space combat game ala elite ;) where someone trying to shake you off their tail can be predicted) but the rubberbanding aspect is what makes it a pain in the arse. I'm sure you can predict movements and the like just the on screen representation isn't much use for doing so.

necromania

Can't get enough of FH
Jjuraa said:
from a melee point of view, the only time you really see strafing/walkthrough is when the caster has moced/quickcasting.

whenever i play a caster and theres a meleer on me so i need to quickcast,i always come off /face, and use mouselook when i cast, this way i can "overcompensate" when they try to runthrough, meaning i nearly always land my spell, also remember that when a melee'r is running through, hes not hitting you much either.

as for moc. the only time i ever see moc used on a meleer is when its moc-lifetap. which is so unfair anyway that il runthrough just to piss you off for playing easymode :)

if a melee player presses Q bar number ( maybe Garrote), and right after runs through, he will usually complete the style, while running through.. he will allso miss some times. but wont help if you can /FAce or anything to kill him ;)

dub

One of Freddy's beloved
can make easy statistic , compare what people answer and correlate with amount of positional stuns on class they play and you will recognize the pattern.

also i might add that strafing/run throu is inherent disadvantage to classes who have their stun as second in chain , and that even if you dont account for adversaries positional stun , wich just make advantage that much bigger.

censi

Can't get enough of FH
remember when I first started playing daoc. I nearly quit after the first hour because I thought the lack of collision detection was just ridiculous and totally unrealistic.

regarding strafing and run through... its like a bit shitty but sometimes you need to do it or your dead. so ofc peeps will do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom