Question Dirt Jump Bikes

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Thinking of getting one to scratch an itch. Anyone know anything about 'em? Anyone got one? Got any recommendations?

I'm happy carving through steep rocks and slate on my MTB but I'm absolutely shite at jumps, manuals, wheelies etc (I could wheelie non-handed when I was a kid, but now?). I figure a dirt jump bike will allow me to dick about a bit more.

There's a really good set of jumps near me (these are the smaller ones!) which, tbh, I won't get near much this year as it's starting to get dark early already. And a pump track too.

Should I spunk the wadge? :)

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Youre too old...someone will call the Police.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
You're only as old as you act. :)

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
I suggest a jump unicycle.
Thats a hipster singularity.

Too old to jump? - BikeRadar Forum

I will admit that Im building an electric BMX bike right now with my spare motor ..but will wear a full face at all times.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
No, your current mountain bike is fine for jumps like that.
Yep, it is, but I cba changing tyre, fork and shock pressures each time I want to go hit dirt jumps - and the amount of time I expect to spend on the floor as opposed to landing correctly might start getting expensive on a carbon enduro monster.

Plus, it's more about learning, which is easier on the right tool for the job.

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
We’ll remind you of that as the ambulance driver sweeps up the million middle-aged pieces you’re about to turn yourself into.

Agreed. That reminds me, Scouse needs something with massive shock-absorbers or the hip goes right away!

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Agreed. That reminds me, Scouse needs something with massive shock-absorbers or the hip goes right away!
If you do it right you should barely notice you've landed. If you do it wrong then shocks won't help.

Lots of people use rigid dirt jump bikes.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
If you do it right you should barely notice you've landed. If you do it wrong then shocks won't help.

Lots of people use rigid dirt jump bikes.
Hope you not gonna live to 99as a paraplegic. If thats how you spell it. Lol

Exioce

Part of the furniture
Yep, it is, but I cba changing tyre, fork and shock pressures each time I want to go hit dirt jumps - and the amount of time I expect to spend on the floor as opposed to landing correctly might start getting expensive on a carbon enduro monster.

Plus, it's more about learning, which is easier on the right tool for the job.
The skills you hope to learn will ultimately be put to use on your regular bike on XC trails and the like, not dicking around pump tracks on a BMX :m00:

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
The skills you hope to learn will ultimately be put to use on your regular bike on XC trails and the like, not dicking around pump tracks on a BMX :m00:
Yep, but dicking around pump tracks and dirt jumps is maximum practice for the skills you'll use when you go to the mountains. I'm a good hour in the car from proper decent trails, but I'm 20 minutes ride from dirt jumps and pump track.

When you're on the real trails you're concentrating on more than just jumps and manuals, but that's what I need to focus on to increase my skill level.

Yeah, I don't *need* a specific bike to learn, but it'd make the learning curve shallower and focus my time on the 'dicking about' that'll teach me the skills, no?

Exioce

Part of the furniture
This slippery slope is why cyclists end up with 8 bikes a piece.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
This slippery slope is why cyclists end up with 8 bikes a piece.
I've already got a (rather expensive) hardtail for bikepacking usage earmarked for xmas. :)

Can't realistically bikepack on a long travel gnarpoon. No space for frame bag etc.

But yeah. Dirt jump bike is definitely a vanity thing - but the price of that canyon would probably save me the added wear and tear and servicing costs alone...

Embattle

FH is my second home
Personally I've begun to really hate the sheer number of categories manufacturers are trying to make, in reality most people will never be good enough to take advantage of the minor changes from category to the next.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I kinda see that from one point of view @Embattle but the other pov is - if you like something specific - like a fatbike, for example, you can get what you want and geek out.

Bob007

Prince Among Men
Is it wrong to be kind of jealous. Please record some of it when you get it. Yeah your going to fall off, maybe get hurt once or twice, but it's going to be fun. Think i'll stick with road bikes and cyclo cross. Bit safer.

I would echo the BMX thing though. BMX's bounce really well and are a great addition to anyone's bike collection. Handy to practise that gap that makes you break on the bigger bike, you can bail really easy without much of an issue.

Other then that, have fun and give vids :)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Still haven't 100÷ decided yet, but if I do... :)

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I kinda see that from one point of view @Embattle but the other pov is - if you like something specific - like a fatbike, for example, you can get what you want and geek out.
Yes you can geek out. But its the enviornmental price that these companies dont take into account. Its not zero cost to make a bike.

Ofcourse its better than having 5 cars. But it would be better to have one bike rather than 5.

Its capitalisms push for each company to make tiny changes to resell or additional sell a product. Which does the earth no favours but thats ok cause some shareholder is happy with the stock price.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
@Moriath, the environmental cost of building, owning and running an entire fleet of bikes is dwarfed by a single car.

The health benefits of running a single bike, never mind spending enough time on bikes to be able to justify multiples, are huge, with knock-on cost reductions for healthcare provisioning and all the rest of the benefits. (You may say "people get injured" - yes, but people are healthier generally and chronic illness is more expensive to treat than the odd broken bone (and considering me and my mates have put in at least 150 years of biking between us and not broken a single bone yet, that's pretty damn good)).

In terms of the bikes themselves - they're not "tiny changes" - the difference between a road, a gravel, a fatbike, a dirt jump, a trail, an enduro, and a downhill bike is huge, dependent on what you want to do with them. Some of them are entirely unsuitable for one purpose or another.

I currently own a variant of this. It's entirely unsuitable for something like this. But both are "mountain bikes".

Yes, there are some companies who push to make tiny changes to resell products, most of that occurs in the bike component space however, not the bike type space - bike designers at even the most cynical of companies design bikes because they love them and they want them to do a specific job.

Having wireless electronic brakes could well be the emperors new clothes. But buying a touring bike to go touring on, when you've already got a downhill bike, is not. Downhill bikes can barely be pedalled - so the tourer makes sense - and you wouldn't want to roll your touring bike down here :)

Last edited:

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
150 years? Closer to 500... :)

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
@Moriath, the environmental cost of building, owning and running an entire fleet of bikes is dwarfed by a single car.

The health benefits of running a single bike, never mind spending enough time on bikes to be able to justify multiples, are huge, with knock-on cost reductions for healthcare provisioning and all the rest of the benefits. (You may say "people get injured" - yes, but people are healthier generally and chronic illness is more expensive to treat than the odd broken bone (and considering me and my mates have put in at least 150 years of biking between us and not broken a single bone yet, that's pretty damn good)).

In terms of the bikes themselves - they're not "tiny changes" - the difference between a road, a gravel, a fatbike, a dirt jump, a trail, an enduro, and a downhill bike is huge, dependent on what you want to do with them. Some of them are entirely unsuitable for one purpose or another.

I currently own a variant of this. It's entirely unsuitable for something like this. But both are "mountain bikes".

Yes, there are some companies who push to make tiny changes to resell products, most of that occurs in the bike component space however, not the bike type space - bike designers at even the most cynical of companies design bikes because they love them and they want them to do a specific job.

Having wireless electronic brakes could well be the emperors new clothes. But buying a touring bike to go touring on, when you've already got a downhill bike, is not. Downhill bikes can barely be pedalled - so the tourer makes sense - and you wouldn't want to roll your touring bike down here :)
It may be small but it all adds up. A crisp packet is small. But q millions of them is significant :). And isaid cars are way more than bikes.

But when thee earth has finitie resources its kinda extravagent to require multiple bikes for a personal geek need. Like getting more than one phone.

But hey it doesnt bother me just being devils advicate. As long as we dont run out of stuff for 50 years i am good.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
It may be small but it all adds up. A crisp packet is small. But q millions of them is significant :). And isaid cars are way more than bikes.

But when thee earth has finitie resources its kinda extravagent to require multiple bikes for a personal geek need. Like getting more than one phone.

But hey it doesnt bother me just being devils advicate. As long as we dont run out of stuff for 50 years i am good.

I never ever thought someone would criticise someone's carbon footprint because they buy too many bikes.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I never ever thought someone would criticise someone's carbon footprint because they buy too many bikes.
I wondered whether moriath specifically would come and have an inappropriate go in this thread - it's technically related to fitness and movement and he's gone to extraordinary lengths in the past to criticise active engagement in that 'health' sphere.

He eats bad, is overweight and unfit, I reckon reading about other people's enjoyment and excitement in doing healthy and active things makes him feel bad - so he strikes out with this sort of bullshit.

He could, of course, avoid these sorts of threads/discussions, but he doesn't so I can only assume that, deep down, he wants to be fit healthy and active and is jealous, but rather than do something about it it's easier to post crap about bikes being an environmental scourge, or vegetables being murder, or something :)

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Oh i eat bad ... hmm tell that to the salads i have almost evey day lol. Glad to see you have me monitored to determine my diet :). I appreciate your concern :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom