Deleting an old windows folder

Nate

FH is my second home
I have a vista folder of windows on my raid drive, which I use mainly for storage nowadays. I have an SSD which I use as my windows 7 drive.

I've noticed when the computer goes to sleep if I bring it out, it starts booting from the raid vista windows. I restart the computer and go in to bios and find that the HD Disk Priority has changed around, the SSD is now 2nd where it was 1st(above the RAID). A quick switch and it starts the computer in windows 7 again. Going back to the original(before sleep), has the windows I had up before, etc.

I've tried removing the windows vista folder from the RAID, it says I have no permission. Going to the security tab doesn't show me anything other then that I don't have persmission.

Anyone here that can help me?

soze

I am a FH squatter
Can you delete the bootmgr in msconfig?

1. Click Start
2. In the Search text box, type msconfig
3. Launch msconfig by selecting it from the search results above the search text box.

After msconfig is launched:

1. Go to the Boot tab
2. Select the boot entry you want to delete.
3. Click the Delete button and then click OK.

Nate

FH is my second home
Hey Soze,

Thanks for replying :) The only line in the Boot tab is Windows 7, no other boot for the vista in there :( can't delete windows 7 as it's greyed out, but I don't think I'd want to do that anyway haha :D

soze

I am a FH squatter
What you probably need to do is get something like Hirens Boot CD or a Linux CD so you can delete the boot partition of from your Vista Disk that way then. I do not think it will be the Windows folder causing you problems you see.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Being a bit old and dumb, can you still set the boot order physically on the drives with jumpers?

Smacks to me that your BIOS has been told what drive to use but when it comes out of hibernation is relying on an alternative source for it's information of "which to boot from"

soze

I am a FH squatter
I did not think SATA drives had jumpers anymore? But then I have never really looked haha.

Nate

FH is my second home
I don't think it has those anymore G, can't see them on the back anyway. There is 4 pins in a square on both of the raid drives but they have no cap to move around.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
I don't think it has those anymore G, can't see them on the back anyway. There is 4 pins in a square on both of the raid drives but they have no cap to move around.
Pass then, only other thoughts are bios updates and what order are the drives hooked into the motherboard?

Maybe try disconnecting the raid, forcing Win 7 to hibernate and see if you still have a problem?

Nate

FH is my second home
I think that would kill the raid as it's software raided :(

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Ah. Then I'm going to go with "live with it" then now as it's not worth the risk.

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
Have you tried diskpart? Follow the list.

Windows key + R

Diskpart.exe

list disk

select disk # (Whicheverone has the boot partition on it)

list partition

select partition #

delete partition override

Might help.

Nate

FH is my second home
It only lists one partition :(

Sar

Part of the furniture
Backup whatever you need on it and re-format the fucker!

Nuke it from orbit, only way to be sure...

Nate

FH is my second home
That's the way it's looking haha :D Thanks for your help anyway guys.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Nate said:

Plantain virus.
Turn your pc on and you have to eat one of those big bastard plantain bananas before windows loads. If you finish you get full admin control back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom