Delayed Write Failed error

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Windows - Delayed Write Failed F:\$Mft

anyone got this error before and have any idea what causes it? randomly started happening today and havent changed any settings or installed anything new, oddly enough F is my external HD, ive checked the cables and everything is still plugged in nice and tight o_O

it suggests i try to save the file elsewhere but as i have no idea what is trying to save shiz on my external i dont know what to stop/change to get it running smoothly again! it keeps popping up and minimizing stuff im running, very frustrating!

any help at all would be useful (and dont worry, i will be googling away, if i find something that works before here, ill let you know ;) )

nath

Fledgling Freddie
That error can sometimes happen when you don't do a Safely Remove Hardware before unplugging it. Any chance you've yanked the cable at some point without doing a safe remove?

Ormorof

FH is my second home
nope i dont unplug it as it shuts down with the PC, seems to have stopped now and all i did was make myself a sandwich, if only all lifes problems could be solved that easily o_O

well if it happens again i guess ill have another look into it :p

Starman

Part of the furniture
I'd suggest running a complete chkdsk - chkdsk f: /v /r /f /x

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
I've seen it happen on an internal hard drive. In my case the SMART diagnostics said the hard drive mechanism was dying.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
nope i dont unplug it as it shuts down with the PC, seems to have stopped now and all i did was make myself a sandwich, if only all lifes problems could be solved that easily o_O

I've yet to find a problem that can't be solved with sandwiches. We just need to send some rolls and ciabattas to the middle east, they'll all be chums in no time.

Chilly

Balls of steel
The actual error occuring is that the operating system's disk write buffer for that block device could not be committed to disk. This means one of a few things:
the disk has gone (removable, this is common)
the disk is fuct (rare, but it happens)
the usb controller it's plugged into is fucked (switch the port you use to test this, try to move the connector to a new bank of usb ports if possible and not just the one next door to the current - helps to ensure a whole new controller chip if not a seperate logical controller)
the usb software or os drivers for mass storage are corrupted/fuct. this is a reinstall drivers thing and wont be easy. try other stuff first.

hope some of that helps.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I've yet to find a problem that can't be solved with sandwiches. We just need to send some rolls and ciabattas to the middle east, they'll all be chums in no time.
I've got one that can't. Ask Trem how many rounds and see what happens.....

*runs*

nath

Fledgling Freddie
I've got one that can't. Ask Trem how many rounds and see what happens.....

*runs*
Ah but in this utopian society I've envisaged there are unlimited free sandwiches for all. Units of measurements such as rounds will be completely unnecessary.

Plus referring to toast or sandwiches as rounds is totally gay.

old.Osy

No longer scrounging, still a bastard.
In my experience, the hdd is:

a) About to die (surface wise, lots of bad blocks, etc)
b) Ridden with logical errors (nothing chkdsk can't fix, even if you need to run it multiple times)

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
I'd backup any critical data you have on the drive first, in case it fails.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom