Question Decent wireless router with good featureset?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Thinking of ditching my virgin superhub (well, wanging it into modem-only mode) and buying a decent wireless hub (so I can actually use my shit downstairs).

If I'm to spend my sponders I'd like a fully featured one so I can support VPN pass through, maybe run a DHCP server for my VM's / host a DMZ etc.

Any ideas what's good out there with a decent build quality, good stable firmware and good interface?

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I have a E4200 from Cisco/Linksys. It's a couple of years old now and not sure how it stacks up against modern offerings but it's great imo.

soze

I am a FH squatter
I have used several Drayteks and I really like them for everything over than VOIP. For some reason the VOIP ALG on them is an absolute dick. I am currently using a 2830n.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
I have a couple of Asus RT-AC66U, best router I've ever had and a great feature set. Latest version is the AC68U and if either of two 66U's I have die I will upgrade to it. The AC ducts in our villa cause issues with WIFI signal strength and the jack point is upstairs in my office, so I have mine set up using the 5GHz to link to a router directly under the main unit. Works great.

Can't use the electrical socket links, tried and they don't work, separate rings and fuse boxes.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Because I trust @Hawkwind due to his god awful avatar and the fact that he has a villa (fancy fucker :eek: ) I have just ordered the Asus router, I did obviously check it out beforehand and it doesn't get a bad review, well it does but that was off retards on Amazon who tried to set it up by mashing their foreheads into the box. My Buffalo router has been good but it has pissed me off a couple of times recently and when Trem quits a job he spends money needlessly, it's my way :D

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
The avatar is a low rez pic of the once mighty Scamp, sadly he had an argument with a train in Manchester and lost. I should change it, it was a few a few years back.

You wont regret the router though, excellent device and whilst the setup is pretty simple it has loads of functionality, more than I have use for. It is on the PC Pro recommended list as well, so don't have just take my word for it.

Trem

I always give you shit about your avatar chum, don't know if you can remember that far back, all meant in jest.

Router will be here tomorrow so I shall report back.

Trem

I actually feel really shit now about saying the thing about @Hawkwind 's avatar, I am such a dick sometimes, it was because of the thing I PM'd you about roughly 5 years ago or something so I thought I would say something again and then you go and say it's a picture of your pet that was hit by a train, I mean, fuck me, I really shouldn't be allowed to on a public forum. What is worse I do shit like this most day's and sometimes to just complete strangers. Sorry, I didn't mean anything by it. Was it even you I PM'd about that time about your avatar with that knobhead with the hook hands.........? I have to keep editing, I am sorry I had to say pet because I can't tell if he is a cat or dog but I am pretty sure he is a fluffy dog and he is called Scamp which is a dog's name. I only said pet instead of dog because I didn't want to dig an even bigger fuckwit hole for myself....like I'm doing now.

Fucks sake :(

Embattle

FH is my second home
I have a couple of Asus RT-AC66U, best router I've ever had and a great feature set. Latest version is the AC68U and if either of two 66U's I have die I will upgrade to it. The AC ducts in our villa cause issues with WIFI signal strength and the jack point is upstairs in my office, so I have mine set up using the 5GHz to link to a router directly under the main unit. Works great.

Can't use the electrical socket links, tried and they don't work, separate rings and fuse boxes.

I have the same router, it is good and does get improved with firmware updates although I wish they would enable DFS on it to give more channels on the 5Ghz band. Asus recently announced RT-AC87which is certainly interesting although could be a little limited in actual usefulness for most people.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Quite lucky here as do not get the EU/US firmware, so we can actually take power levels higher
I actually feel really shit now about saying the thing about @Hawkwind 's avatar, I am such a dick sometimes, it was because of the thing I PM'd you about roughly 5 years ago or something so I thought I would say something again and then you go and say it's a picture of your pet that was hit by a train, I mean, fuck me, I really shouldn't be allowed to on a public forum. What is worse I do shit like this most day's and sometimes to just complete strangers. Sorry, I didn't mean anything by it. Was it even you I PM'd about that time about your avatar with that knobhead with the hook hands.........? I have to keep editing, I am sorry I had to say pet because I can't tell if he is a cat or dog but I am pretty sure he is a fluffy dog and he is called Scamp which is a dog's name. I only said pet instead of dog because I didn't want to dig an even bigger fuckwit hole for myself....like I'm doing now.

No worries mate, over it a long time ago :)

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
I have the same router, it is good and does get improved with firmware updates although I wish they would enable DFS on it to give more channels on the 5Ghz band. Asus recently announced RT-AC87which is certainly interesting although could be a little limited in actual usefulness for most people.
Agreed. Some of the features are so well implemented, the parent controls are excellent. I have a non EU/US model firmware so can up the power beyond what the regulators allow in those countries. Was very useful when an old neighbour was swamping my network on multiple channels so that I could not get a connection in my sons bedroom or kitchen. I had asked him to limit the channels but he refused. He came back a week a later saying he was having problems now so we should agree on channels :)

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
You've done well to avoid Linksys. I had one of the frog looking "Linksys by Cisco" models and it was garbage, terrible DSL connection speeds and flaky WiFi. Says it all that my current Sky Router seems like a massive upgrade.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
You've done well to avoid Linksys. I had one of the frog looking "Linksys by Cisco" models and it was garbage, terrible DSL connection speeds and flaky WiFi. Says it all that my current Sky Router seems like a massive upgrade.
My last one was a Linksys, seemed to be ok for about 6 months then went all flakey, was having to reset every few days to get the WIFI working again.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
He came back a week a later saying he was having problems now so we should agree on channels :)

Hope you told him to fuck off and maybe he should be more reasonable when he had the chance. ;)

leggy

Probably Scottish

Take it easy chumster, we all love you and know you're taking the piss :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom