Decent heatsink?

Monkee

Fledgling Freddie
Upgrading me comp and getting into a bit of a dilemma! I can pick up an AMD 3200+ without a heatsink for £127 including VAT, but then can pick up the retail version with AMD approved heatsink for about £160! Not too hot on knowing wot a good heatsink is and wot isnt. So any idea's and suggestions would be much appareciated, ta :)

Monkee

Fledgling Freddie
yeh, was looking at those and had been recommended by a m8 who has one! But was just worried about the size of the thing and whether it would fit my case. Just have a normal ATX tower, not one of the big buggers :)

.Wilier.

One of Freddy's beloved
Monkee said:
yeh, was looking at those and had been recommended by a m8 who has one! But was just worried about the size of the thing and whether it would fit my case. Just have a normal ATX tower, not one of the big buggers :)

Dont sweat it, they will both comfortably fit in an ATX case, or a micro ATX for that matter (my daughter has the jet 7 in an old Tiny case.)

:)

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi monkee

This isn't directly related to your question, so forgive me, but note that the retail AMD CPUs also come with a three year warranty as well as the heatsink and bits and bobs you describe, whereas the cheaper OEM version (which is an identical chip) doesn't have this extended warranty. Many people would rather save the money, but I just thought I'd better mention it.

Kind Regards

Monkee

Fledgling Freddie
this is very true, and will probably be going for that! Heatsink may not be as good, but at least if it goes wrong, i can just claim back with no worries :)

basically my new line up will be:

ATI Radeon 9800 pro
AMD 3200+ - Retail
Asus A7V600 (Socket A) Motherboard
Corsair 512MB DDR XMS3200LLPT Low Latency Platinum CAS2 (until i can afford another 512 stick :p )
Oh, and a new spangly psu with coloured fans :E

thanks for the suggestions guys

fatbusinessman

Fledgling Freddie
6000.jpg

*slightly late cough*

Stimpy

Fledgling Freddie
Technation said:
Lets face it, without manufacturers such as Akasa, Zalman and in this case Cooler Master, the fastest processor in the world wood be pretty much useless.

Willier needs a slap :)

Dubbs

Fledgling Freddie
I did some investigation into this recently and ended up with the following for overclocking my 1.4Ghz Athlon (yep - it's running call of duty/max payne 2/etc., no problems!)

Globalwin cooler/fan
Arctic Silver 5 compound (This is VERY important!)
Akasa CPU fan controller PRO

All from overclockers.co.uk

The globalwin is noisy but VERY effective cooling on full tilt, the akasa allows me to turn all the fans right down when necessary.

The coolermaster kit looks great but apparently is noisy (only "heard" that so don't shoot messenger guys) and the one I saw is HUGE so whilst it may fit, the room it take up and lack of space might mean it's a less effective cooler as it can't move the air around it as well as it should.

Don't forget that the cpu fan will only move around air within the case so make sure that a good, strong cpu fan has a decent case fan supplying it with good airflow from your room.

My Globalwin setup in an Antec "quiet" piano black case (recommended with it's 120mm fan at the CPU end!) happily cools my Athlon down to 31degrees and I'm sure I could knock a few degrees off with better cable management and a few small tweaks here and there.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
fatbusinessman said:
6000.jpg

*slightly late cough*

I agree here, I run this heatsink on a 3200+ and it's perfect and (very nearly) silent.

G

Insane

Wait... whatwhat?
Big G said:
I agree here, I run this heatsink on a 3200+ and it's perfect and (very nearly) silent.

G

i wasnt 100% sure the zalman had been rated to 3200+ speeds but if your running it fine within the "thermal envelope" then it can only be highly praised.

standard 90mm zalman fan fitted?

heat these days is a big thing to jump about, when really i've had warmer pentiums, dont be too worried if your CPU is running at 50+ as thats somewhat normal for most systems... i think my 2600+ is running around 55 on full load with the standard AMD HSF.

*realises he should be leaving work now* :eek6:

old.user4556

I don't think it is rated up to 3200+, but this heatsink has been out waaaay before the 3200+ was around.

Trust me, it works absolutely fine - im currently running the 3200+ at 50 degrees with the 92mm fan set to the slowest speed.

G

Insane

Wait... whatwhat?
Xavier said:
80MM surely? :eek7:

as nabbed from KustomPC's info for the Zalman 6000Cu

Some air cooling is still required, so a 92mm fan is supplied on a bracket which fits against your AGP/PCI retaining points and directs a flow of air over the heatsink. This also includes a small unit which allows adjustment of the fan RPM (from quiet to silent!)

says the same on overclockers.co.uk as well :eek6:

wonder what its cooling would be like with a 120mm fan???

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Odd, the two zalmans I have here came with 80mm zalman branded fans.

I'll take you a photo in a bit :) if I can be arsed to dig out meh camera

RandomBastard

Can't get enough of FH
Xavier said:
Odd, the two zalmans I have here came with 80mm zalman branded fans.

I'll take you a photo in a bit :) if I can be arsed to dig out meh camera

The amd one comes with a 92mm fan according to everything i've seen o_O

old.user4556

Yep, took another look to be sure, deffo 92mm.

A 120mm fan may be too deep and fowl the heatsink - the 92mm fan sits very close to the top of the heatsink as it is. If you can get a slimline one, it may be ok. The 92mm will suffice for your cooling needs :).

G

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Part of the bonus of 120mm fans is the depth though, a slimline won't be that much better than a 92mm.

Besides, air cooling is for the weak. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom