Decent email/webhosting?

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Howdy,

My dad has been having problems with his email/webhosting provider of late. Mainly on the email side but their support has been utterly useless, it seems that they were bought out by another company and things have gone completely tits up since then. He's still struggling to get things rectified but wants to see if their are any alternatives to this company since they seem quite shit.

Anyone got any experience with these sorts of companies and can recommend one? He doesn't get a lot of traffic on his site, email needs are basic - one address with a catch all (I think) and some server side spam protection. Above all, a decent support team that isn't totally clueless.

Any advice appreciated!

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
I use ukhost4u, and have done for three, maybe four years. I get 8gb of space and 400 gb per month I think for less than a tenner per month with unlimited databases, unlimited email accounts and ftp accounts.

I run three farily busy domains from the same account and it is nice and quick, haven't has a single problem with them so far.

I will say their support website isn't fantastic, but they responded to an email I sent them at 3 am one morning during the summer within 15 minutes, when I got curious to know what the limit on email accounts was as I give a lot of them away.

GReaper

Part of the furniture
Maybe use Google Apps for email instead of your webhost.

Chances are Gmail will be more reliable and stable than a small webhost provider. The spam filtering is excellent, some providers who install spamassassin do a good job but it probably doesn't get anywhere near Gmails accuracy. You can always use POP3 or IMAP with it if you don't particularly like webmail.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Thanks for the info guys I'll check those out.

Chilly

Balls of steel
Fasthosts locked my DNS management account (with 80 domains on it) and then sent my new password via 2nd class snail mail to the wrong postal address. I wouldnt trust those idiots with a duplo brick, let alone an email system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom