Deaths 2019

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Yeah fuck helicopters.
My mate flies one and keeps asking if I want to fly up to the lakes, firstly hes showing off and secondly hes an annoying cunt.
Anyway Im like..no chance and he admits they are dangerous and wont take any of his family up and basically has to fly alone because no one trusts him.

Plus they are £1000 an hour to hire and Im like fucked if Im chipping in.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Free lift to the top of Helvellyn with your bike though?

Dropped off, ride down Sticks Pass. He can pick you up in Glenridding near Ullswater, take you back to the top, ride down a different route!

VERY environmentally friendly!

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Yes but how often have you travelled by helo?

i did once in like the 80s.

also why is the death of a rich sports person at a sport most uk people care little about the big story on the uk news sites. When normal people dying of a virus in china that may affect us is dumped down the order.

How often did he fly in a helicopter?

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
If you're American, helicopters are still safer than driving. If you're British (or Scandinavian), driving is slightly safer than flying in a helicopter, but there's not a lot in it.

Personally I love flying in helicopters and used to take any chance I could get, but yeah, not great environmentally.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
If you're American, helicopters are still safer than driving. If you're British (or Scandinavian), driving is slightly safer than flying in a helicopter, but there's not a lot in it.
Googled this last night. All I could find was that helicopters are between 20-46x more dangerous than driving (depending on the sources I read).

Importantly - if you're an inexperienced helicopter pilot (i.e. not a professional - like most rich people who fly their own 'copters) then you're small orders of magnitude more dangerous than the stats (which are for experienced pilots, apparently).

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Googled this last night. All I could find was that helicopters are between 20-46x more dangerous than driving (depending on the sources I read).

Importantly - if you're an inexperienced helicopter pilot (i.e. not a professional - like most rich people who fly their own 'copters) then you're small orders of magnitude more dangerous than the stats (which are for experienced pilots, apparently).
I think its the if something goes wrong you are not gliding that fucker to a rough landing. Your falling to the ground like a stone.

Job

Well they do glide unless the rotor falls off or something.
Its just there are so many ways to fuck up a flight and many pilots crash after being pressured by passengers to keep flying when they are out of their depth.

Ground resonance for starters...what the fuck.
You have.every chance of being fired into the blades as it self destructs in seconds.

View: https://youtu.be/0FeXjhUEXlc

Job

Personally I love flying in helicopters and used to take any chance I could get, but yeah, not great environmentally.
It would be cheaper to hire someone to carry me up on their back.

Err ebike anyway.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I think its the if something goes wrong you are not gliding that fucker to a rough landing. Your falling to the ground like a stone.
Not true: Autorotation.

Took Tam on a "fly the helicopter" lesson for a birthday a few years back. I was sat in the back seat. She had control of the controls and I tapped the pilot's shoulder to ask about autorotation.

"How's it work?" says me.
"Shall we turn the engines off and I'll show you?"
"Hell yeah! - just don't tell Tam"
"OK".

So he turned 'em off (actually, disconnected the props)- we immediately dropped a tiny amount. Felt it in the pit of your stomach like when you go over a bridge in a car too quickly and your gravity is going up because of momentum, but the car is on it's way back down. Then things carried on as normal.

"Is that it?"
"Yep. We can pretty much land it in the back garden of the pub down there if you like" - he points.
"Really? How the hell do you crash these things then?"
"Generally it's people who aren't safe chancing it with the weather or making stupid mistakes. But if the engine fails on a good day, you can pretty much set it down fine"

"What's going on?" said Tam, thoroughly enjoying flying a non-powered helicopter.
"Oh nothing".... :)

Job

ifnldzgobbd41.jpg

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Still working last year wasn't he? Seemed chipper and quick-witted still.

Decent innings then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom