death of pc gaming

Yaka

Part of the furniture
bit of and old topic that keeps on bouncing up whenever new consoles are out. the death/end/demise/meh! of pc gaming has always cropt up since the playstation1/saturn/n64 were first out and never really happened. it has cropt up when the ps2 and dreamcast were new on the scene and had ports of q3a and DC almost getting a port of halflife, happened again when a combo of bill gates and steve ballmer shit out a brick in the form of a xbox. now its happening again with the same reasons the cost of owning a "decent gaming spec" pc or upgrading to one is at times more expensive than ps3/360/wii

the writer of this PC Perspective article written by someone in bitching form tries to fend off the doommongers or wot ever they fuck they call themshlves these days, anyways the article points out one of the downsides of multiplatform games in the for of OBLIVION

Mazling

Can't get enough of FH
PC games will always have the community to play with. Bugger the consoles. Cross-developed games are a terrible idea. That is all.

Aada

Part of the furniture
bit of and old topic that keeps on bouncing up whenever new consoles are out. the death/end/demise/meh! of pc gaming has always cropt up since the playstation1/saturn/n64 were first out and never really happened. it has cropt up when the ps2 and dreamcast were new on the scene and had ports of q3a and DC almost getting a port of halflife, happened again when a combo of bill gates and steve ballmer shit out a brick in the form of a xbox. now its happening again with the same reasons the cost of owning a "decent gaming spec" pc or upgrading to one is at times more expensive than ps3/360/wii

the writer of this PC Perspective article written by someone in bitching form tries to fend off the doommongers or wot ever they fuck they call themshlves these days, anyways the article points out one of the downsides of multiplatform games in the for of OBLIVION

I just can't justify spending an obsene amount on a PC these days to play the zomg game of the year for the PC only for a new graphics card to come out in 6 months time that i'll need if i want to have a nice gaming experience.

A couple of years ago i did it spent stupid amounts of money upgrading my PC.

Then i got interested in the 360 and i haven't looked back more decent games justify the money the 360 costs.

I know a top of the line PC beats the 360 by a big gap but i don't care about PC gaming anymore not enough good titles to warrant upgrades/new pc.

Louster

One of Freddy's beloved
Shareware/freeware indie games is where it's at. Fuck graphics, I want novel gameplay. Support bedroom codemonkeys!

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Fuck graphics, I want novel gameplay. Support bedroom codemonkeys!

I agree fully. I want playability and a game I keep coming back to. Not some flash FPS I play exactly once, or an online game that I stop playing because it's too buggy to bear.

GReaper

Part of the furniture
The current generation of consoles hasn't exactly made that much of an impact so far, so I seriously doubt consoles will ever take over.

Just take a look at the current consoles for an indication of what consumers want. The Wii (a very cheap and basic machine) is pissing all over the PS3 and Xbox 360. Are the game creators going to abandon PC gaming with the current situation? Hardly.

I'll stick with my PC, thank you.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
The last PC game I bought was football manager, before that HL2.

In the same period of two years I have bought all three next gen consoles and games for all of them.

I cannot be arsed spending money to make pc games work anymore, and the consoles online features are fine and work.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Console games dont have a community. They have appalling controls.

Ive been playing cs and then css for donkeys years, and will continue to do so, along with other games as they come and go. My pc also has irc running on it, plus of course the whole jolly interweb.

I have no urge - at all - to buy any sort of console. I looked at a wii when my son bought one the day they came out. Its horrible to me, who wants that? Not me.

If you want it, go buy it :)

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
I'm not sure, I'm more for the consoles really. Just because it's cheaper to run than a PC (In regards to gaming) though I'd admit, I'd love to have FH/IRC running on a PS3. I'd just buy a keyboard/mouse and use this for music.

Opt1

Fledgling Freddie
I prefer a PC for FPS and RTS handsdown.. unfortunately, good games are very rarely released these days and I cba buying a new system to play one game per year.

I've only just got a console and I love it, plenty to play though I've yet to find anything I want to play through more than once.. but I'm never playing an RTS on it unless MS caves and allows mouse and keyboard, which I unfortunately doubt.

Will always like PCs because I get to build them :) Just have to wait for a non-student/shit income to handle it.

Draylor

Part of the furniture
You're too old to be playing games then :E
Probably why I cant recall the last new game I gave a shit for - on any platform.

Civ4, and since then, hmmmmmm, the remake of Settlers 2 was kinda fun.

I should run away now ...

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
The shear numbers of PC's sold against any of the consoles means that game developers are cutting off a huge chunk of the market if the don't release a PC version.

All the pre sales hype of Xbox 360 and PS3 over which graphics are best etc then the Wii out sells them both due to novel gameplay and fresh ideas. Bloody hilarious!

Edit * pressed button too quick

People stating PC's are too expensive is a bit suprising. How many people do you actually know who use a PC for only gaming. Most people might buy a gaming spec PC because of the higher specs but they generally get used for way more than gaming. Work, Homework, Course Work.......

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
i think you will find that the majority of pc's that get sold are incapable of running any of the games released in the last year.

Walk into your local electrical shop, pc world, curry's, woolies. The majority of pc's sold are entry level for net access and word processing. Systems sold as entertainment or media pc's are not much better. PC's sold does not equate to a chance for developers to sell their games to that person, whereas it does for consoles.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
i think you will find that the majority of pc's that get sold are incapable of running any of the games released in the last year.

Walk into your local electrical shop, pc world, curry's, woolies. The majority of pc's sold are entry level for net access and word processing. Systems sold as entertainment or media pc's are not much better. PC's sold does not equate to a chance for developers to sell their games to that person, whereas it does for consoles.

You are talking rubbish as usual!

Mesh PC's cost a bit more

I would regard that as "entry level" price (£650) and it would handle any PC game you throw at it...

throdgrain

FH is my second home
I dunno. I was in Tescos today, and gawping aimlessly at a pc they had for sale, for £499.00.

Intel dual core 3.0 gig apparently (mine is stock at 2.4..), but then when you looked at the rest, it was like , on-board graphics, some flat screen monitor that I suspect would ghost images summat aweful :) Would it play stuff? I have no idea, but I would suspect it would struggle playing css, which is getting on a bit now.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I dunno. I was in Tescos today, and gawping aimlessly at a pc they had for sale, for £499.00.

Intel dual core 3.0 gig apparently (mine is stock at 2.4..), but then when you looked at the rest, it was like , on-board graphics, some flat screen monitor that I suspect would ghost images summat aweful :) Would it play stuff? I have no idea, but I would suspect it would struggle playing css, which is getting on a bit now.

I doubt it.

Obviously if you want the graphics settings on max it would grind to a halt but it would definitely handle it otherwise...

All you require is:

Minimum:
1.2Ghz processor
256Mb of RAM
DirectX 7-capable video card

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
I use my Pc often for gaming I bought it 2 years ago and I am yet to want/buy a game that is to intense for my machine.

People that feel they have to buy a new graphics card every month to play games really need a good shake. That is not the case at all.

I love using my Wii also, but I often find that I feel bored with the lack of interaction unless my friends are around or I am playing online. I bought an x-box and found the games boring and the controls clumsy. A mouse and keyboard just do it for me.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
You are talking rubbish as usual!

Mesh PC's cost a bit more

I would regard that as "entry level" price (£650) and it would handle any PC game you throw at it...

Bollocks it is, thats £730 inc VAT. Read what you link to next time :)

Entry level is £400 - £500. Gamers will always buy pc's that can play their games, but this gets expensive, the majority of other pc's sold as Throd saw in Tescos, cannot play shit. A console will play it's games at optimum settings every time, no framerate issues, no turning the pretty effects off jus so its playable.

pc gaming currently only has a future in mmporgs and online fps games, and titles in these genres are already appearing on consoles.

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!

Entry level is £400 - £500. Gamers will always buy pc's that can play their games, but this gets expensive, the majority of other pc's sold as Throd saw in Tescos, cannot play shit. A console will play it's games at optimum settings every time, no framerate issues, no turning the pretty effects off jus so its playable.

pc gaming currently only has a future in mmporgs and online fps games, and titles in these genres are already appearing on consoles.

mmorpgs and online fps are shit on consoles, Console gamers think they are leet with the auto aim feature on fps games. They couldnt hit water if they fell from a boat on the pc version.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Nice sweeping statement cal.

The point being consoles are targeting games that have traditionally been based on the PC, and they are getting better at them. Look at gears of war for an online fps that is up there with the best the PC has to offer. The ps3 and 360 are basically media center pc's, but the games work without having to upgrade or fiddle.

The thread title is the death of pc gaming, whether you lot as pc gamers continue to buy and play pc games is irrelevent, like it or not you are in a minority of pc eliteists. It's what the majority do that will make or break pc gaming.

dysfunction

FH is my second home

No you read it properly!

the £730 price tag includes:

2 Years On Site Service
6-Socket SurgeMaster® Superior Series with Telephone Protection
Complete 12 Month BullGuard License

Even this PC would be able to handle a game like bioshock and thats a latest release!!

Sorry but the xbox360 has failed to deliver any game that would equal the quality of a PC game. The console version is always dumbed down!

Go ahead and buy console games but you are getting a bubblegum experience in comparison to the gourmet PC experience...

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
So whats the difference between the console and pc versions of bioshock then?

dysfunction

FH is my second home
So whats the difference between the console and pc versions of bioshock then?

I don't know the answer to that.

All I was aying is that bioshock has pretty much just been released and is easily playable on a sub £300 PC. Less than what you would buy a PS3 for / the same price as an Xbox 360...

And yet you can do more with the PC...I know which one I would buy if i had to choose between one or the other...

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
No, that is where your argument fails. Bioshock looks good on the 360 as is, to get the same level of performance you would need much more than a £300 pc.

Actually please spec up a £300 pc that could play bioshock.

edit:// you are right that you can (for now) do much more on a pc, but if you want to play games you also have to spend a lot more.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
No, that is where your argument fails. Bioshock looks good on the 360 as is, to get the same level of performance you would need much more than a £300 pc.

Actually please spec up a £300 pc that could play bioshock.

edit:// you are right that you can (for now) do much more on a pc, but if you want to play games you also have to spend a lot more.

The one i quoted from mesh will handle Bioshock...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom