Dear Deirdre

S

SoWat

To prevent more hijackage of the 2003 review thread....

Frizz...

I don't expect to have to justify every sentence I write in case it's taken the wrong way. The use of smilies is not unknown in these forums.

Although not a prolific poster in my 4.5 years here, I don't have a reputation as a **** (well I don't think so anyway). I also tend to not post in what I described as 'Dear Deirdre' threads, as I wouldn't have anything constructive to say.

My view on the (General) forum, however, is unchanged. I couldn't care less about the title really, but it's removal is a good illustration of how twisted this section has become. I write a post and an unknown person (who didn't have the courtesy to PM me about it btw) removes my title in response to a few expressions of outrage.

T

Tom

Its amazing how a pretty innocent comment can turn into a "I'm cleverer than you and I'm going to prove it" argument.

For what its worth, I understand what sowat posted, and had a chuckle at it. He has a point, not that I mind at all.

C

Cyfr

Instead of maturly ending the argument, lets make a new thread so we can spam more.

S

Sir Frizz

You're not expected to justify every sentence, it's just that with the way that post of yours is structured, i (aswell as others) have taken offence to it.

At the time i thought it was justice to insult you, now i realise that, that too was wrong. The thing about the title just kind of fit in really, and whoevers responsible for not going through the proper procedure for its removal, just shows that they're not up to the job.

Whether the post is on topic is irrelevant, it can be taken in different ways too easily, and i'd like for it's removal.

S

SoWat

I have no problem with it being removed as it has obviously, upset a few people.

I'd like to suggest however, that people read posts with a smile on their faces... hopefully that'll prevent further outrage.

D

Deadmanwalking

Dear Deirdre,

Recently a certain forum that shall remain nameless has been filled with the most utter shit and drivel. In between threads about how much better one person is then another and the postcounting degenerates the quality of topics has dropped.

I am seeking your advice in this troubling and worrying time.

Yours,
God.

S

S-Gray

waht he say? cant read very well at moemont coz i was out on the town for once which was nice :p

J

Jupitus

Whether the forums are getting dear deidre or not is not the point. If you don't like the advice columns that appear then dont bother reading them. If you do then read them and enjoy or post your own advice.

As I see it, the dear deidre kind of posts kind of help to build the community we have become.... it's both interesting and flattering that people would come to this forum to ask for personal advice instead of asking their mates/brothers/sisters/parents etc etc etc

If you don't like that then *shrug* tough shite. There are plenty more who do and who will offer what advice they can or learn from the advice on offer. A thread like the 2003 one is a solid one in my view. It helps people focus on both the good and bad in a clear way and also helps us realise that just maybe our own problems aren't as bad as some other folks'.

The day the general forum stops being community-driven and turns into a +1 post farming battle is the day I'll stop bothering.

S

SoWat

That's exactly it Jupitus... "In your view".

You're perfectly entitled to your view, as I am to mine. The difference is that I get censured for it.

I'm all for 'community', as long as we're not all expected to believe the same things, or think the same thoughts. This is patently not the case at the moment.

However warm and cuddly it makes everyone feel to bare their souls, it doesn't do it for me. I wouldn't dream of asking them to stop posting that kind of thing, as everyone is perfectly entitled to post anything within the CoC... however, I would expect the same courtesy from them.

EDIT:
I've just noticed Bigfoot's comment in the other thread.

As I mentioned, I don't really care about the title. I think your moderation was poor in this instance, but that aside... <shrug>. TBH, I'm not sure you even read the thread properly, as I was not complaining about the forums, merely adding a 'Pro and Con' to the list... but then again I'm a well known rabble rouser and troublemaker...right?

J

Jupitus

SoWat - it wasn't clear from your post that you meant the forums 'in general'. I'm a reasonable and thoughtful kind of old man and I must say I thought your post was directed towards the thread itself rather than the forums as a whole, and given that I thought it to be out of place.

I hope you get your title back, but I understand why you lost it. Sorry....

G

GDW

I also saw the point and had a chuckle at SoWats post .

Bigfoot removing your title was a bit knee jerk tbh. Whatever floats his boat I suppose

S

Summo

I'm contemplating sticking my thumb in my butt. What do you guys think?

Yours,

Summo

D

Deadmanwalking

Dear Summo,

It beats the usual that gets in there, so why not?

Regards

J

Jonaldo

Depends how much a title means to someone.

If it really means as little as it seems then no harm has been done, it was just a poorly worded jibe at the forums as he clearly doesn't like the direction they have taken yet hasn't created any threads to try and deviate from said direction.

Let's just get over it and carry on. What say you? Cadire and all?

B

bigfoot

Indeed, for someone who thinks the forums have gone a bit "Dear Deidre" then I can't quite understand why you feel the removing of it is such a big deal? I certainly don't.

S

SoWat

...Cadire...

Cadire is no more. He's an ex-healer. He's shuffled off this mortal coil (by way of a pack of Drakulvs). He lies in a cancelled DAoC account.

As for the rest... well, I do feel somewhat aggrieved at the knee-jerk reaction of the mod (though of course no action was taken against the personal attacks on me), but life is too short to get too het up about it.

... don't expect a group hug or anything though.

Oh and Bif... I know you don't think it's a big deal... but it would be nice if you stuck to your own CoC when you're out moderating. I'm not at all concerned about the title.. really, just your rather selective moderating. It doesn't bode well for the 'community'.

B

bigfoot

No action was taken because you provoked them by your needless posting of something completely lame in a topic that was actually fairly sensible and (I thought) a good read.

S

SoWat

FFS Bif... are you deliberately missing the point?

Yes the thread was interesting, yes I posted a comment.

Whether you thought it was lame or not is immaterial. If people got censured for lameness there'd be tumbleweed blowing through the forums.

Your arbitrary moderation was out of order, no ifs and buts. You didn't even follow your own rules and PM me about it! You can quote your personal taste as much as you want, but your preferences are not written in the CoC that you love to quote so much. You took no note of the fact that I have, in all my time here, not been a troublemaker or flamer, nor have I made a habit of posting 'lame' comments. You just assumed that I was out to disparage other users and went off half-cocked.

I don't really want to continue this, or for that matter, any involvement in forums where expressing an opinion (or 'individuality' as the CoC calls it) is patently discouraged.

B

bigfoot

"Our forums cover various different aspects of gaming and gaming-lifestyle related topics, because of this they attract a variety of different people of different ages and from different social backgrounds. It's therefore expected that there will be different attitudes or personalities on the forums and it's okay to be your own person, as long as you act with respect towards other forum users."

I viewed your post to be a mild transgression on this point as it was disrespectful to what other people had posted in the thread, others viewed it more strongly and sort me out on IRC to complain about what you had done or replied to your post saying so, and therefore I took mild action in removing a custom title - had it been a more serious issue then you would have had your post edited, removed or even your account banned and you would have been contacted to explain why.

The fact people actively came to me and said "can you do something please because this guy has ruined a really good thread" suggests to me that you may not have been as uber-cool as you obviously thought you were being by making the post in the first place, even if you didn't intend it for that thread that is certainly how it came across to myself and many others.

If you want to act like a little child over what has happened then feel free but you aren't the first person to disagree with my moderation of this forum and I'm sure you will not be the last whilst they remain in operation.

L

leggy

I can't be generaly arsed reading most of this ego masturbation but:

1) I'm going to side with SoWat for no other reason than everyone is picking on him.

2) You are all pretty dull twats

S

Sir Frizz

I want to know where people get this notion of "ego boosting".

Y

Yoni

boys boys boys

can we just stop this plz?

The review of 2003 "was" a good thread which has now been tainted with the ususal bickering of these forums. Sowat may have posted something which raised emotions but did you ALL have to join in in a thread which for me made me laugh and cry and basically ruin it??? I would ask that all unrelated posts in that thread be deleted tbh.

Leggy Ill still fluffle you even though i appear to be a dull twat:p

G

GDW

So SoWat has deleted his account, well handled Bigfoot, who is next for your selective punishments?

D

doh_boy

He deleted his account because his custom title was removed? Seems a bit of an over-reaction. Also leggy I'm really quite interesting in real-life, honest! ;)

E

Embattle

Originally posted by
The difference is that I get censured for it.

Because in their view you shouldn't of done it and they had the power to change it. In my view BF should of deleted all the non relevant posts from the other thread.

X

Xtro 2.0

You see..staying in on a Saturday night just gets you into all sorts of trouble kids. Whilst the drama unfolded here, I went out and spent the money I should have bought xmas presents with on a load of JD and Czech lager, ended up in a strange flat and woke up with a sore bell end. No doubt I've caught AIDS for having unprotected sex with a rottweiler.

Think I need to put my life in perspective and stay in more.

I would have posted something constructive but then well, its ME isn't it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom