Dead Pixel ?

Laddey

FH is my second home
Darzil said:
It's why I buy TFT's in shops, regardless of the additional cost. It's worth it to me to let me see whether there are any dead pixels.

Darzil

Darzil, you know everything about computers! Any problem i've had your probably the one to fix it <3

Is Bill Gates your neighbour (sp)?

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
Laddey said:
Darzil, you know everything about computers! Any problem i've had your probably the one to fix it <3

Not everything, there is sooo much to know. I know a fair bit, and there is websearches for the rest !

Enough that I'm working as an IT consultant, tho. Or at least to persuade non techies that I know !

Darzil

noaim

Fledgling Freddie
I thought Acers policy was 4 dead pixels per million pixels on the screen or something, maybe thats what he means with up to 5 though. Think all but Eizo allows dead pixels, Samsung has a few monitors with 0 bright pixel warranty and if I am not mistaken Hitachi can also replace a monitor with only 1 dead pixel, dependant on the impact it has with place, color etc. But in short, if u wanna buy online and be safe, buy Eizo. :)

Yshynsin

Fledgling Freddie
Mojo said:
1gig advertised HHD Space is actually 1000mb, not 1024 as it should be.

And sure they could sell LCD's without any errors then we would still be paying 1k for a 15" so quit ur bitching.

Somethign simular, i got a 4 GB ipod nano for christmas and it only says 3.6 gb available. ripoof :<

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
Yshynsin said:
Somethign simular, i got a 4 GB ipod nano for christmas and it only says 3.6 gb available. ripoof :<

I always find that misleading too, but it's the same across all media. They advertise the size without formatting, once formatted for use there is less space available.

Darzil

Naffets

Can't get enough of FH
tollstore said:
You dont have to give them any reason for returning the goods if you contact company within 7 days - Under distance selling rules the consumer has a 7 day cooling off period. this link may be useful if they refuse.
http://www.oft.gov.uk/Business/Legal/DSR/default.htm

However if the goods are not defective then the consumer can be made liable for the cost of returning goods to the supplier. This isn't mandatory however the supplier can enforce this if necessary.

International ISO standards say that on a screen with 1.3 million pixels, 1 dead pixel or even 1 dead sub-pixel is within fault tolerance unless the manufacturer specifies otherwise.

As a result, the goods are in perfect working order.

Lesson is: Buy locally or buy from Asus/Samsung

Asus have a zbd warranty aswell as Samsung and a couple of other people. (Zero bright dot)

Personally, I've never (not once) had a dead pixel on one of my tfts. I own 4 in total (2 laptops 2 desktops) and all of them are 100% working.

My screens are iiyama, viewsonic and MiTAC.

soze

I am a FH squatter
I got my samsung tft from ebuyer with a dead pixel emailed them and they swapped it i had never heard of the 5 pixel thing thats why i emailed.
Naffets said:
Asus have a zbd warranty aswell as Samsung and a couple of other people. (Zero bright dot)

That would be why :)

Melachi

Fledgling Freddie
Assuming Irish law is like UK law(it nearly allways is, we copy from you guys) on this topic, then you are entitled to a repair/replacement or even a refund. Forget warranties, this is basic retailer obligation. If they sell you something that is not what you expected(through misleading) or damaged, they have too repair it. A car company cannot, sell you a car that has no engine, and then say in the T & C's that some cars mightnt have an engine due too manufacturing fault.

First off, I doubt when you paid for your monitor that you were made aware of their 5-pixel policy, and screw their policy, its related to warranty not your statutory rights.

It's a pain in the arse, but you have got to remind them of their obligations, they fucked up, not you, its not what you paid for, therefore they either repair / replace or refund. Don't take no for an answer. And if they tell you otherwise, its because of two things, they have no clue of actual consumer law, and the absoloute shite we call customer support here in UK & Ireland.

Coolan said:
i work in retail myself and when selling any displays i always inform the customer of where they stand with dead pixels, but that being said i love it even more when they come in complaining making up crap about consumer rights.

Somebody who works in retail and deals with customers should really learn abit about consumer law.

Naffets

Can't get enough of FH
The dead pixel policy is an international ISO standard, its not the retailers responsibility to make people aware of this.

The goods are not defective if they have 1 dead pixel, its way within manufacturers limits. The sale wasn't misleading as it wasn't discussed on the phone that there would be no dead pixels, that im sure of from the original post. Personally, my company would replace the screen as a gesture of goodwill, but thats just us.

Legally, the manufacturer cannot refuse a refund, however they can charge the consumer the cost of returning the goods.

Melachi

Fledgling Freddie
Naffets said:
The dead pixel policy is an international ISO standard, its not the retailers responsibility to make people aware of this.

Apart from some exceptions, all manufacturers refer to Class 2. If they do not specify, the monitor is Class 1 by default and you can have it changed at the smallest pixel defect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom