Database Help

Darthshearer

Can't get enough of FH
Hi Guys

I would like to make a database up of the mountain bike routes I regulary ride so I can share it with a few people and to also referance them.

I plan on using MS Access for this but if people have some good experiance of others please feel free and give your opinion.

Anyway. I havent EVER used access so would like a few pointers. Does anyone have a good webby or tutorial I could kick off with?

I plan on using the database by looking for routes using catergories (Eg Hard Route - Yorkshire Dales, etc etc) What the best way to start?

Thanks for the help :)

Padwah

Fledgling Freddie
Are you going to stick a web front-end on it will it be offline only? If it's gonna be off-line only then Access is fine, if you're going to stick it on the web then I'd go for something a little more robust like MSSQL or MySQL.

Dunno if it's any help but I've knocked up a simple Access database for you with locations, categories, difficulties and, of course, routes. It's on my webspace here if the link doesn't work send me a PM and I'll email it to you. It is pretty simple but it should help you along.

Also have you had a look at this? I use it to plan rides around my local area :)

Padwah

Fledgling Freddie
Just realised I can't serve .mdb files so I've zipped it up instead, grab it [url="http://www.patrickrobin.co.uk/routes.zip]here[/url]

Padwah

Fledgling Freddie
Doh, yeah a couple of problems there. Hopefully you've grabbed it now. It's pretty simple but for offline work it should help you along. Populate the location, category and difficulty tables and then you can add your routes. Hope it helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom