darkness falls returns ..well sort of !

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Good for ya :ninja:
Not interested in getting caught, ONCE AGAIN, in fluff shit that won't change many BASIC flaws in the game.

so scream on the team thats dealing with THAT then, not the totally different one thats making "fluff".

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
So when will the game really become Warhammer and not DAOC 2, instead of making successor zones to daoc.

Downanael

Fledgling Freddie
So when will the game really become Warhammer and not DAOC 2, instead of making successor zones to daoc.

When Mythic dumps EA :(

It's more like WoW with worse pve and better pvp than Daoc atm anyhow.

Grotnob

Fledgling Freddie
When Mythic dumps EA :(

It's more like WoW with worse pve and better pvp than Daoc atm anyhow.

I think you meant to say that Warhammer doesn't feel much like DAoC at the moment, but rather more like WoW, only with worse PvE and better PvP.

Correct?

There's a reason for that.

Going to play devil's advocate here and ask why it is that people feel that Warhammer should be more like DAoC than WoW? Is it purely nostalgia for a game that was never anywhere near as much of a success as WoW, despite it being supposedly "better"?

Given the choice, from a business perspective, would you be more likely to base your new MMO on;

A) A game that's got multiple millions of accounts across europe and the rest of the world, with a daily turnover which probably exceeds what Mythic/GOA have brought in so far with Warhammer.

or,

B) A game which has about a hundred active players on an average night on the one remaining server in Europe, and only a handful of active servers in the States.

Not trying to troll. Just trying to explain why Warhammer is more than slightly WoW-esque. The Warhammer IP will only carry the game so far. I never played in Darkness Falls, or indeed DAoC very much. I agree that something is needed to gloss over the cracks in Warhammer, but DF didn't save DAoC from it's slow painful death, so I'm not sure it's "spiritual successor" is going to do much for WAR.

I think Mythic need to be looking forward for fresh new ideas rather than recycling old ones.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
what things like DF did do for DAoC though was add the dynamic and incentive for taking keeps (zones i suppose in WAR), hell alot of the time you had keep takes and rvr being organised for the sole purpose of taking and holding DF so guilds/alliances could do raids in there in the evening, meant there was usually something going on, dunno how effective it will be with just 2 sides though (as it was always amusing when for example albs attacked mids and they were battling it out for DF in mid zones then hibs sneakily went and took a bunch of alb keeps, got inside before they were retaken then spent the next few hours causing havoc inside :p )

Downanael

Fledgling Freddie
Felt the need to buy a second account so you can make a buffbot in WAR?

Thought not.

;)

Buffbots were indeed shameless way to get more cash out of players,atleast they fixed that on war. Beside that daoc rvr was really well made, maybe someday when we finally get rid of WoW developers can do something else too than just copy & paste.

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie

It's nothing like DaoC and it's certainly not DAoC 2.

What exactly do you want to make it more like Warhammer? Be specific.

For me it is very much a Warhammer game, all the lore is there if you look for it although some isn't exactly "classic" Warhammer.

Imo the only thing missing is Skaven as a playable race :)

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Felt the need to upgrade your computer so you can play pvp without lag?

My point was that though the DAoC PvP was good, its not the panacea that people would have you believe. You needed 2 accounts just to compete at a roughly equal level and in the later days of DAoC some people had up to 3 buffbots (ie 4 accounts), which is ridiculous.

mooSe_

FH is my second home
Imo the only thing missing is Skaven as a playable race :)

definately missing skaven...but also wood elves, oh and beastmen and maybe some undead too :D paid expansions here we come

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
My point was that though the DAoC PvP was good, its not the panacea that people would have you believe. You needed 2 accounts just to compete at a roughly equal level and in the later days of DAoC some people had up to 3 buffbots (ie 4 accounts), which is ridiculous.

You didn't need 2 accounts just to compete. You needed buffs but that just meant you had to group. Only shit people had to have 4 accounts.

SilverHood

FH is my second home
The buffs from a lvl 50 shaman / cleric / druid with all its spec points in buffs were FAR superior to the standard non spec buffs, and lets face it, a buff specced character wasn't much good for anything other than buffing, so only buffbots ever got the high end buffs. It gave an advantage to the buffbotting team, this cannot be denied.

What WAR does well in, is avoiding the mechanic of buffs as a major stat increases for just pressing a button on a second account, and then parking said second account at a warcamp or something.

As for Darkness Falls esque dungeon, woohooo! PvP was always interesting down there as you had to watch aggro at all times, and it was spontaneous, meaning reaction time and use environment meant more than the flatlands where PvP usually happend. Also, lots of good bonding moments with your realm as you defended yourself versus enemy groups.

eksdee

FH is my second home
looking forward to this new content! an rvr dungeon should be cool. we have people in our guild queuing up to reroll choppah... looks like i'm stuck on the midget healbot of d00m :<

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
The buffs from a lvl 50 shaman / cleric / druid with all its spec points in buffs were FAR superior to the standard non spec buffs, and lets face it, a buff specced character wasn't much good for anything other than buffing, so only buffbots ever got the high end buffs. It gave an advantage to the buffbotting team, this cannot be denied.

What WAR does well in, is avoiding the mechanic of buffs as a major stat increases for just pressing a button on a second account, and then parking said second account at a warcamp or something.

The buffs from a buffbot and a normal rvr spec druid/cleric/shaman are only different by 1 or 2 points now. Self buff can't be sheared either. Buffbots are certainly useful but having 2 buffbots for a group of 8 is sufficient and certainly doesn't mean you need 2-4 accounts each to compete.

The removable for the need of buffbots was good in WAR but its not enough to justify why WAR is good or DaoC bad. And from a financial perspective WAR has much higher system requirements than DaoC to run smoothly. Having to upgrade your computer to run the game is also an expense that needs to be taken into account.

eksdee

FH is my second home
i don't really think you can make system requirements as an argument for how expensive the game is or isn't in the long term. i upgraded my pc to play daoc 7 years ago, but i didn't need to upgrade my machine to play war. does that mean daoc was more expensive? no, it just meant that at that time my system was behind the times :p

at the end of the day, buffbots alienated casual players. that is negated in war and i can only see that as a good thing for the long term future of the game.

Nate

FH is my second home
definately missing skaven...but also wood elves, oh and beastmen and maybe some undead too :D paid expansions here we come
Beastmen?!?!?! You cannot be serious!!! This game is Gorific!!! Throughout the game Gor's are EVERYWHERE!!!! GGOOOORRRRRR The whole of the first wing of bastion GOR! Most of the first wing of Lost Vale GORRRR!!!! AAAHHHHH GGGOOOOORRRRR!!!!!

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
i don't really think you can make system requirements as an argument for how expensive the game is or isn't in the long term. i upgraded my pc to play daoc 7 years ago, but i didn't need to upgrade my machine to play war. does that mean daoc was more expensive? no, it just meant that at that time my system was behind the times :p

The total cost of the game should factor in the cost of the equipment. Now with most games a normal spec computer will run it and so it would be silly to count the cost when you would have that spec normally. You need a significantly above average computer to play WAR especially if you want rvr to be smooth and that also alienates casual players.

at the end of the day, buffbots alienated casual players. that is negated in war and i can only see that as a good thing for the long term future of the game.

Really? It wasn't the 14 hour ML raids? Or the camping mobs for 2 days to get artifacts or needing 25 plat to buy one scroll? Buffbots were not ideal and its good that they are no longer needed but that certainly doesn't mean that daoc pvp was crap and WAR pvp was fantastic.

eksdee

FH is my second home
i think you're reading far too far into this and you seem pretty bitter/angry about something :p

at the end of the day what you're essentially saying re: system requirements and such can go as far as you want it to. what constitutes a 'normal' computer spec, what's a 'normal' game? etc. it's all relative. at the end of the day, if you want to play a game you need the pc to support it. what you're saying is like someone going WTF THIS XBOX 360 GAME WON'T PLAY ON MY XBOX 1 BUT I'M NOT PREPARED TO PAY FOR A 360!1

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
i think you're reading far too far into this and you seem pretty bitter/angry about something :p

I am not bitter/angry I just can't see the logic of the posts.

1) You didn't need a buffbot, (if you grouped/had some friends)
2) If you wanted a buffbot it was an extra expense in the same way that if you want to play WAR with the settings turned on you will need a decent spec machine or if you want to play an XBox game you will need an Xbox.
3) Casual Players are alienated by losing (and as the are casual players they will in general have less skill than somebody who plays alot) so unless you make a game where they can run around taking undefended BO in order to win you will always be able to blame something for making them leave.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
You can do other things with an upgraded computer than play WAR - not much you can do with a buffbot account other than play DAoC.

mooSe_

FH is my second home
Of course war is going to use higher specs than daoc: daoc is like 100 years old.
If I felt I was at a disadvantage for not paying for a second account I wouldn't play the game.
Oh and I know there is lots of npc gors, but I mean I want them as a playable race!

Downanael

Fledgling Freddie
You can do other things with an upgraded computer than play WAR - not much you can do with a buffbot account other than play DAoC.

And you have to keep your buffbot account open long time before it's even close to the price of new PC

Gahn

Resident Freddy
so scream on the team thats dealing with THAT then, not the totally different one thats making "fluff".

I scream on the company that isn't able to fucking fix its game.
1st the fixes (Game and Classes).
2nd work in more bugs (that's pretty much all they produce anyway).

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
I scream on the company that isn't able to fucking fix its game.
1st the fixes (Game and Classes).
2nd work in more bugs (that's pretty much all they produce anyway).

quick , give us your address

well send the police round so they can untie you, and rescue you from that horror of horrors, being forced to play WAR .

:fluffle:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom