News Dark Age of Camelot makes it through Greenlight on Steam

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
They can't fix the community so they can't fix the game.

If it was a new start with new servers that would be great. Otherwise, haha...no.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
too many elite wankers played it back in the days, community snobbery killed any sense of "community" years ago. its just a win-trade wank fest for duellers and cross realmers.

and really Broadsword? REALLY ?

"ooh whats this ? something i dont know on steam.... <checks page>.... eeurgh those graphics are really dated .. hmm i wonder... subscription ? lol get the fuck out"

if they had f2p'd it before steam launch it -might- have worked.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I would say it was more that some players thought they should impose their idea of what people should do in a sandbox MMO onto others, more than any particular playstyle itself but that argument has been done to death so is pointless...

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
If they wanted to attract the Freeshards players, they'd have to totally change their approach to the game to, if you speak to most Freeshards players (who play ToA+) they say DAOC has been dead for 4-5+ years, bad decision after bad decision has killed it, they have the room to improve by looking at Freeshards as ideas, but they won't.

Mabs

freeshard players, AKA "i dont want to pay cos im a tight fisted cunt, and then complain about a game im not paying for, AND complain there is noone playing it and servers are dead, BECAUSE im a tight fisted cunt "

yea, freeshard players need beating with sticks. and their opinion is worth less than some old dried dog shit.

Gwadien

freeshard players, AKA "i dont want to pay cos im a tight fisted cunt, and then complain about a game im not paying for, AND complain there is noone playing it and servers are dead, BECAUSE im a tight fisted cunt "

yea, freeshard players need beating with sticks. and their opinion is worth less than some old dried dog shit.

Hahaha, Okay, I like DAOC, but I don't want to play live, because it's totally removed everything that I enjoyed it for, there's an alternative but the man says it's illegal so therefore I cannot play it.

Seriously man, get a clue, stop being such a fucking sheep; A couple of years ago, there was a server which the owner openly said, look, I need to raise £9-10k over the period of 6 months, to finish paying off my mortgage, and he did, with like 400 players or so.

So your tight-fisted idea is completely incorrect, since most servers are alive due to donations, which alot of players pay more than £10 a month or so.

Please, tell me you've never torrented a film, a series, or a game.

I don't want to get into this discussion because the hypocritical stick will come out, but I love it how we openly discuss torrents, but freeshards is a big no-no.

Also, @Mabs have you ever played Freeshards, have you actually got any idea what they offer?

Back on topic though @BloodOmen Don't you think it's too little too late? - I think if they wanted DAOC to come back from the ashes, they'd have to attract the old player base, not create a new one, I don't think people would take it too kindly finding that they're up against RR13s straight away.

I know I wouldn't want to get into a competitive-PVP orientated MMO 11 years after it first came out.

Maybe if they went, Well blah blah blah Origins blah blah blah ears would prick up, otherwise, nah.

Last edited:

Mabs

Hahaha, Okay, I like DAOC, but I don't want to play live, because it's totally removed everything that I enjoyed it for, there's an alternative but the man says it's illegal so therefore I cannot play it.

then you dont like DAOC
you like an edited bastardised version of it that is tweaked to your satisfaction. that is not DAOC.

end of story.

Gwadien

What a ridiculous statement.

Some people wanted to create DAoC in the way that they remembered it, when then enjoyed it, and many people agreed with it.

Just because you're hell-bent on not upsetting EA because they lose subs (that they'll never actually get because the PEOPLE DO NOT WANT TO PLAY LIVE)

That's the only justification, some of the best players are on Freeshards, never have I seen a community where people are elitest, but still play with every fucker on the server, and generally enjoy theirselves.

They're not cunts, they just have a different idea of fun, and won't eat any old shit that is presented to them.

I love it how you refuse to actually engage in a discussion about it, shame that peoples lives are so dedicated to worshiping the green and respecting the green.

Mabs

"DAOC" is what is on LIVE
anythign else, is NOT daoc

its a bastardisation of it.

l2 definitions

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Depends what work they put into it, if they're just expecting DAOC to sell itself on Steam they've been incredibly naive about this and the population won't budge, if they have proper plans in place then perhaps it might get better. All depends on how well Broadsword can use their brains.

Mabs

Depends what work they put into it, if they're just expecting DAOC to sell itself on Steam they've been incredibly naive about this and the population won't budge, if they have proper plans in place then perhaps it might get better. All depends on how well Broadsword can use their brains.

yea but steam community is very fickle. they get -one- shot to impress. and that page, with the classic videos etc, is going to win them no awards.

zero effort put in, what do they expect, and like any MMO "launch" they get exactly ONE shot at it

Solic Archers

Can't get enough of FH
To be honest I've looked at the live servers and freeshards and I do agree that Freeshards put more of an effort than the live servers. It takes a long time for Broadsword to actually do anything and steam, well DAoC been green lighted for 7 months now and still they've not done anything on there to advertise. Not only does it take long to advertise a game it's everything they do seems to be so slow and the DAoC Community are getting rather fed up of it.

I think if the Live Servers want to continue they need to listen to everyone instead of just there Knights that have there own opinions but not others. I've tried to give good feedback about why we should have more PvE in the game but they are not interested and prefer to go more focused on RvR. Sadly once Camelot unchained comes out, the BS team will just give up and close the servers due to very low population and not making enough money.

I truly want DAoC live servers to live on but how slow they are to make this game work makes me wonder if they are just grinding it out.

Zede

Part of the furniture
If Broadsword update the UI functionality to that of any modern MMO, i'll resub.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
To be honest I've looked at the live servers and freeshards and I do agree that Freeshards put more of an effort than the live servers. It takes a long time for Broadsword to actually do anything and steam, well DAoC been green lighted for 7 months now and still they've not done anything on there to advertise. Not only does it take long to advertise a game it's everything they do seems to be so slow and the DAoC Community are getting rather fed up of it.

I think if the Live Servers want to continue they need to listen to everyone instead of just there Knights that have there own opinions but not others. I've tried to give good feedback about why we should have more PvE in the game but they are not interested and prefer to go more focused on RvR. Sadly once Camelot unchained comes out, the BS team will just give up and close the servers due to very low population and not making enough money.

I truly want DAoC live servers to live on but how slow they are to make this game work makes me wonder if they are just grinding it out.

If they could get the resources from somewhere to give the game a complete/fresh overhaul, that would be perfect for a Steam launch, especially given the potential player base. Realistically though I don't think they'd do that, even with some minor change they can bring it up to a more modern feel however, minor changes wouldn't cost them hardly anything either, just time.

Mabs

If Broadsword update the UI functionality to that of any modern MMO, i'll resub.

i suspect that "purchase new engine" comes before "UI" upgrade,. however !

i -think- (dont quote me on this) that SWTOR runs on a new version of the same engine, and both are EA (and im not getting into an argument on how bad/good swtors engine is, its just a thought :p )

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
i suspect that "purchase new engine" comes before "UI" upgrade,. however !

i -think- (dont quote me on this) that SWTOR runs on a new version of the same engine, and both are EA (and im not getting into an argument on how bad/good swtors engine is, its just a thought :p )

rather keep the daoc engine tbh, they'd risk too much if they changed the whole engine.

just needs some common sense/quality of life improvements here and there and it'd be on par with most of todays mmo's, just graphically worse but lets face it - no one plays daoc for the graphics.

Last edited:

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
When PC magazines were still a thing they used to have half page ads near an expansion launch...well SI and TOA anyway.

But yeah, the advertising budget for Mythic/GOA was minuscule.

At the end of the day DAOC has been and gone and its time it retired. You won't get people to play unless the community changes from RP whoring morons to players looking for a good fight.

The last time I took up one of their free trial offers I lasted around 2 hours before uninstalling it. As soon as you step out of any keep or go near any docks you just get zerged down by a group of stealthers, absolutely no point whatsoever. I will just leave them to circlejerk in their empty game, thanks.

I never say never though and haven't deleted my characters but I would need to see substantial changes to even consider coming back now.

Last edited:

Mabs

When PC magazines were still a thing they used to have half page ads near an expansion launch...well SI and TOA anyway.

At the end of the day DAOC has been and gone and its time it retired. You won't get people to play unless the community changes from RP whoring morons to players looking for a good fight.

The last time I took up one of their free trial offers I lasted around 2 hours before uninstalling it. As soon as you step out of any keep or go near any docks you just get zerged down by a group of stealthers, absolutely no point whatsoever. I will just leave them to circlejerk in their empty game, thanks.

I never say never though and haven't deleted my characters but I would need to see substantial changes to even consider coming back now.

thing about advertising is i think its dead for gaming mostly. as any new game, of any genre, is pre-hyped, probably beta'd, or kickstartered/early access. so a large percentage of any likely buyers would know about it via grapevine and so on long before launch. but 10 + years ago, yea, and it did imeasurable damage to daoc. i remember going into Game in cardiff to buy it on launch day, and the manager went "er.. not sure ill check" and they only had asbout 5 copies in.

but also i think its "too little too late" for it, even as an F2P , the "community" is too entrenched, any noobs playing would get steamrolled, abused, and not invited to groups. can you imagine "new lvl 50 rr1 lfg".. yea gl with that.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
They can't fix the community so they can't fix the game.

If it was a new start with new servers that would be great. Otherwise, haha...no.

You really think a new start would help? You'd have veterans dinging 50 in a matter of hours and then the circus would keep rolling as if nothing happened. :)

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
You really think a new start would help? You'd have veterans dinging 50 in a matter of hours and then the circus would keep rolling as if nothing happened. :)

true, but you'd have a fresh economy, fresh realm balances etc

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber

Nerf PBAOE on mobs, nerf focus pulling etc and perhaps a change to the damage calcs on purple mobs and yeah it would be fine.

I was lucky enough to level my first 50 when a proper, balanced group was needed to take on purple packs, leveled a hero with sword and board, darkness falls groups, warshade groups etc, proper fins groups, shit I even remember making parth farm groups. Best leveling of any MMO. I met life long friends doing normal XP groups. 20 days /played or so on my first 50.

You actually had some investment in your character at 50, you had realm pride and all this FOTM bollocks didn't exist. Now they nerf something or boost something and you have a fresh 50 FOTM shitclass eveled and geared within a couple of days. The game went to shit long ago.

Last edited:

Gwadien

Meh, fuck the nerfs on PvE, allow people to get 50 quickly, there should be some magical incentive to help new players though.

Dutch_NS

Can't get enough of FH
They should hurry up because Camelot Unchained gonna crush them so hard when it releases its not even funny :D

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Nerf PBAOE on mobs, nerf focus pulling etc and perhaps a change to the damage calcs on purple mobs and yeah it would be fine.

I was lucky enough to level my first 50 when a proper, balanced group was needed to take on purple packs, leveled a hero with sword and board, darkness falls groups, warshade groups etc, proper fins groups, shit I even remember making parth farm groups. Best leveling of any MMO. I met life long friends doing normal XP groups. 20 days /played or so on my first 50.

You actually had some investment in your character at 50, you had realm pride and all this FOTM bollocks didn't exist. Now they nerf something or boost something and you have a fresh 50 FOTM shitclass eveled and geared within a couple of days. The game went to shit long ago.
Yeah i dinged my shaman 50 in Malmo way way back in the day too. Kinda miss those days at times, but then i remember what a FUCKING pain in the ass it was to get a spot.. Not entirely sure i wanna live through 4 days of no sleep again....

Everz

FH is my second home

Because that never happened on Excalibur during OF days, must be dreaming.

Can't have been recently mind, seeing as solo is pretty viable on a visible these days, especially with all classes having access to speed 6.

Everz

FH is my second home
They should hurry up because Camelot Unchained gonna crush them so hard when it releases its not even funny :D
Game is so much flop.

DAoC, much like AC and EQ is here to stay.

Dutch_NS

Can't get enough of FH
Game is so much flop.

DAoC, much like AC and EQ is here to stay.

<Cyclodia looks @ that funny icon called Camelot Unchained on his desktop>
<Cyclodia double clicks the icon>
<Cyclodia logs on to internal test server>
<Cyclodia smiles>

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom