News Dark Age of Camelot makes it through Greenlight on Steam

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
<Cyclodia looks @ that funny icon called Camelot Unchained on his desktop>
<Cyclodia double clicks the icon>
<Cyclodia logs on to internal test server>
<Cyclodia smiles>

:D

:p i can't even remember what access I had tbh, was either internal alpha or alpha.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Because that never happened on Excalibur during OF days, must be dreaming.

Can't have been recently mind, seeing as solo is pretty viable on a visible these days, especially with all classes having access to speed 6.

It happened a lot yes but you could move to a different area, now every single portal is camped by mouth breathing stealth zergs.

This was about a year ago, not seen anything to suggest its got any better since.

If you enjoy it in its current form then lucky you. One of the reasons its on its arse is because a lot of people don't.

Everz

FH is my second home
<Cyclodia looks @ that funny icon called Camelot Unchained on his desktop>
<Cyclodia double clicks the icon>
<Cyclodia logs on to internal test server>
<Cyclodia smiles>

:D

Looks at notes. No PvE? Fail.

Enjoy a subbed version of Smite :D.

Everz

FH is my second home
It happened a lot yes but you could move to a different area, now every single portal is camped by mouth breathing stealth zergs.

This was about a year ago, not seen anything to suggest its got any better since.

If you enjoy it in its current form then lucky you. One of the reasons its on its arse is because a lot of people don't.

A lot has changed now to offer different areas.

All classes have access to speed6, so no longer getting caught and bummed by a fg.

Crim/Berk/Nott were turned into PKs and Beno/Bled/Crau into ruined keeps, e.g. Open keeps. Easily taken but good for centralising zergs.

Agramon Towers added to enable quicker ports and again, more options. A supplies quest added which takes places round the mazes meaning a lot of roaming action between Nged -- Maze -- Crim, for example.

I mean you can still get bummed by a stealth group or a small man but then you just switch areas and carry on.

Population level is high enough that fights at any hours is a guarantee. It's certainly not on it's arse and well worth the two subs currently as it's a hell of a lot more fun then I expected it to be when resubbed a year ago.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
A lot has changed now to offer different areas.

All classes have access to speed6, so no longer getting caught and bummed by a fg.

Crim/Berk/Nott were turned into PKs and Beno/Bled/Crau into ruined keeps, e.g. Open keeps. Easily taken but good for centralising zergs.

Agramon Towers added to enable quicker ports and again, more options. A supplies quest added which takes places round the mazes meaning a lot of roaming action between Nged -- Maze -- Crim, for example.

I mean you can still get bummed by a stealth group or a small man but then you just switch areas and carry on.

Population level is high enough that fights at any hours is a guarantee. It's certainly not on it's arse and well worth the two subs currently as it's a hell of a lot more fun then I expected it to be when resubbed a year ago.

It will be on its arse when CU comes out then, CU doesn't even have to take the entire pop away from DAOC to do major damage, if it takes a 200-300 players that'll be it buggered considering there's maybe 600-700 active people during US prime time now.

Everz

FH is my second home
It will be on its arse when CU comes out then, CU doesn't even have to take the entire pop away from DAOC to do major damage, if it takes a 200-300 players that'll be it buggered considering there's maybe 600-700 active people during US prime time now.

Well that's incorrect seeing Hib alone on US prime has 400-500 on /who, considering mid/alb is higher I would say your very wrong .

I doubt CU will take any to be frank, nothing about that game is exciting or actually 'good' from what I've seen so far.

Soulja_IA_

Can't get enough of FH
Well that's incorrect seeing Hib alone on US prime has 400-500 on /who, considering mid/alb is higher I would say your very wrong .

I doubt CU will take any to be frank, nothing about that game is exciting or actually 'good' from what I've seen so far.

So in reality 250 ish on Hib and around 300 on Mid/Alb making around 800 playing ish...... Remember a /who does the bots as well and seeing you have Farmers and Buffbots = not many playing.

Bloodomens estimate is about correct then

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
DAoC is still full of cheaters anyway , it got so bad it was to be expected, between speed hackers and radar users you cant go 20 feet in frontiers without being AJd by people, its mint

Everz

FH is my second home
So in reality 250 ish on Hib and around 300 on Mid/Alb making around 800 playing ish...... Remember a /who does the bots as well and seeing you have Farmers and Buffbots = not many playing.

Bloodomens estimate is about correct then

Without counting for anons, also, excluding Asian and Euro primetime times? Seems like enough for a full server (what we have) to me and the action reflects that.

Not being a fanboi but the thought that this game is dead is far from the truth considering it's age and the shit Mythic did to it.

Plus may aswell enjoy it whilst it can be enjoyed, only thing I can see decent on the horizon is EQNext, everything else looks turd, not even WoD was decent, got bored after a couple hours on that.

To be frank, if you want massive daoc numbers then there is only one way, official true classic servers, but with games like Anarchy Online, Asherons Call etc etc still going I reckon the old girl has a good while yet, especially as the only competition is CU which appears to be a subscription based MOBA.

Everz

FH is my second home
DAoC is still full of cheaters anyway , it got so bad it was to be expected, between speed hackers and radar users you cant go 20 feet in frontiers without being AJd by people, its mint

Ah one of those who screams RADAR!?!!!! everytime someone rolls them?

Mabs

Ah one of those who screams RADAR!?!!!! everytime someone rolls them?

no im one of those people who goes at speed 6 and says "ooh whats that coming up behind us glitching and sliding and "ow ow ow" wow that was amazing ... again.. and again.. and again.. "
and i know some people who radared and ive run with some in the past and you can tell when other people are radaring, its really obvious

oh wait, you must be one of those people who think its "skill" based...lol

Mabs

To be frank, if you want massive daoc numbers then there is only one way, official true classic servers,.

lol this has been beaten to death so many times. play daoc. dont play daoc. stop coming up with magical bullshit non-fixes as though its really that easy

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but Alb does not have more players than Hib and Mid now, Mid and Hib both have larger zergs than Alb does, Alb actually had the least amount of players at 11pm-2am on the Saturday before my 7 day re-enlistment ran out, mid was 2nd, hib was 1st with the majority of the player base. Alb had <250 total in NF when I did /who at around 11pm our time.

As for CU, you don't know that, you haven't seen anything that remotely resembles a finished product yet, its 8+ months away from anything that could come even close to being called finished.

Everz

FH is my second home
I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but Alb does not have more players than Hib and Mid now, Mid and Hib both have larger zergs than Alb does, Alb actually had the least amount of players at 11pm-2am on the Saturday before my 7 day re-enlistment ran out, mid was 2nd, hib was 1st with the majority of the player base. Alb had <250 total in NF when I did /who at around 11pm our time.

As for CU, you don't know that, you haven't seen anything that remotely resembles a finished product yet, its 8+ months away from anything that could come even close to being called finished.
Regarding CU I said what I've seen so far.

11pm our time is off-prime between EU and US. 1am is the best gauge for US primetime when west coast and Central can login.

Considering I play on alb as well on your first point........

Everz

FH is my second home
lol this has been beaten to death so many times. play daoc. dont play daoc. stop coming up with magical bullshit non-fixes as though its really that easy
Yet the popularity gauge (a shitty free shard) showed a matching demand. What fixes would you go for that isn't BAN THE CHEATERS?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
To be fair I have rarely seen any evidence of radar use, a few suspect moments but always put it down to bad luck. I did read that it had got out of hand recently due to under staffing and no will to ban anyone.

Yet the popularity gauge (a shitty free shard) showed a matching demand. What fixes would you go for that isn't BAN THE CHEATERS?

Basic class balance would be a nice start, after 12 years (or whatever) of idiotic inbalance.

Everz

FH is my second home
To be fair I have rarely seen any evidence of radar use, a few suspect moments but always put it down to bad luck. I did read that it had got out of hand recently due to under staffing and no will to ban anyone.

Basic class balance would be a nice start, after 12 years (or whatever) of idiotic inbalance.

Was threatening to spill over at one point but Broadsword went all banhammer and sorted it out.

Class wise, unsure what is left to balance other then giving love to useless classes like Friars, Necromancers and Bainshees.

Mabs

they werent banning anyone for a while, and i believe they reversed ALL the account bans in a pathetic "omg come back and play and give us money" drive (unconfirmed from "official sources" though)

and yes ban the cheaters. going "lol its ok we need the subs" is great, if you want DAoC to be "old game, medicore graphics, needs 2 accounts AND A HACK to play". gg ?

Himse

FH is my second home
Mabs standard post - QQ spew of random rubbish qq omg gg m8 ye

Everz

FH is my second home
they werent banning anyone for a while, and i believe they reversed ALL the account bans in a pathetic "omg come back and play and give us money" drive (unconfirmed from "official sources" though)

and yes ban the cheaters. going "lol its ok we need the subs" is great, if you want DAoC to be "old game, medicore graphics, needs 2 accounts AND A HACK to play". gg ?

They unbanned accounts that were banned ten years ago, much like a prison sentence, I saw no harm in people using those accounts again after such a long time?

Cheats are usually banned on sight and I haven't seen any for a long time, apart from trial accounts where it is a case of what can you do ?

Needing two accounts suggests to me your doing something wrong, especially as there are quest for Supremacy pots in game now.

Mabs

They unbanned accounts that were banned ten years ago, much like a prison sentence, I saw no harm in people using those accounts again after such a long time?

Cheats are usually banned on sight and I haven't seen any for a long time, apart from trial accounts where it is a case of what can you do ?

Needing two accounts suggests to me your doing something wrong, especially as there are quest for Supremacy pots in game now.

that might be what it was then, as ive never been banned, i didnt need to look into it too closely :p

And people ive seen and who have been reported AND HAVE ADMITTED HACKING,,. have never been banned, so yea, super legit

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
If I did come back I would certainly use 2 accounts, it just makes everything so much easier. I have no problem at all with that though.

Mabs

If I did come back I would certainly use 2 accounts, it just makes everything so much easier. I have no problem at all with that though.

and thats the point, people arent going to rock up to it, google "how do i play daoc" and pay a sub for an old game, let alone 2
getting old players back is not -that- hard, getting totally new people in, yea, gl

Everz

FH is my second home
and thats the point, people arent going to rock up to it, google "how do i play daoc" and pay a sub for an old game, let alone 2
getting old players back is not -that- hard, getting totally new people in, yea, gl
But you don't need two accounts?

Heroism pots, realm buffs and Supremacy pots put an end to that?

Not even needed for farming as supplies/doppelgänger quests will give items and plat.

I pay for two through choice.

Mabs

bot buffs are still better than pot buffs . no ?

Everz

FH is my second home
they unshearable aswell ?
Yup, unshearable, there is a quest to get them. Take 30 towers, which is a night sticking the Herorius Zerg or doing dopples and getting 1/3, 2/3 and 3/3 to combine and make them.

Everz

FH is my second home
Yup, unshearable, there is a quest to get them. Take 30 towers, which is a night sticking the Herorius Zerg or doing dopples and getting 1/3, 2/3 and 3/3 to combine and make them.

Everz

FH is my second home

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom